[Page Update] Limited Access Interchange Style Guide

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Page Update] Limited Access Interchange Style Guide

Postby nzahn1 » Thu May 15, 2014 3:35 pm

qwaletee wrote:I suppose continue straight, but continue left seems wrong.
You're correct. Maybe "Keep left on ... " sounds better.

Either way, it doesn't matter because that would require a significant change to the client, server, and WME.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Rank 6 | US Local Champ | Mid-Atlantic Coordinator | WME Beta | iOS Beta
WME Profile E-Mail MD Twitter MDForum MDWiki Welcome!
nzahn1
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby PesachZ » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:51 am

sketch wrote:...

I also added some very basic info, including 2 images, to the "geometry and complexity" section. This is something that isn't really standardized but I believe is agreed upon by most editors. Some of us discussed it the other day.

It would be great to incorporate the same guidance in the regular JSG page or the Best practices page (or whichever page you feel would be appropriate) to be used for standard roads and PLRs as well.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:40 am

sketch wrote:Good call – indeed, I intend to incorporate a brief overview of "the basics" of both Intersections and Interchanges into the main JSG page.

That'd be great. I had to "convince" a new editor that even though it's listed referring to ramps, it also applied to PLRs coming off a MH.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:52 am

t0cableguy wrote:i have been looking on the wiki for a little bit and i noticed that the "geometry" style info of at grade connectors has gone missing, and it cyclically "references" back and forth from the junction style guide and at grade connector page. Whatever happened to that section of the wiki? i seem to remember it being there at one point... or maybe I'm just going crazy?

Specifically which guidance?

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:57 pm

After this has been brought to my attention, I'd like to update the §Exit geometry section, to bring it in line with what has already been tested, approved, and published in the technical page.

The text here predates our current knowledge and understanding of what generates the "Exit" prompt, and 'Best Continuation'.

Here is a draft showing the changes I am proposing.
Wiki comparison delta

If you have any objections or comments please post below.
Thanks
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby qwaletee » Fri May 09, 2014 6:43 pm

I don't know about "to." SOmetimes wayfinders are there as early warnings for major splits on, say, a 6-lane highway. Also, I think I've used "tO" once or twice just to make the name different from the road's own name.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby qwaletee » Thu May 15, 2014 2:54 pm

sketch wrote:
qwaletee wrote:I don't know about "to." SOmetimes wayfinders are there as early warnings for major splits on, say, a 6-lane highway. Also, I think I've used "tO" once or twice just to make the name different from the road's own name.

If you're on I-10 W, "to I-10 W" is wrong. It doesn't matter how it's configured. "to" is for roads you aren't already on, and that's it.

Matter of opinion. When you break a convergence, with equal lanes for each of the highways that are separating, it makes sense to hear "keep left to <same road you are on>" as a wayfinder. How else would you say it?
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby qwaletee » Thu May 15, 2014 3:33 pm

nzahn1 wrote:
qwaletee wrote:Matter of opinion. When you break a convergence, with equal lanes for each of the highways that are separating, it makes sense to hear "keep left to <same road you are on>" as a wayfinder. How else would you say it?
I think this comes back to the need for a "straight" or "continue" option (wish list).
It would be so nice to hear "Continue to the Left on I-10W" or "Continue straight on I-695 E".

I suppose continue straight, but continue left seems wrong.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby qwaletee » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:53 pm

t0cableguy wrote:i have been looking on the wiki for a little bit and i noticed that the "geometry" style info of at grade connectors has gone missing, and it cyclically "references" back and forth from the junction style guide and at grade connector page. Whatever happened to that section of the wiki? i seem to remember it being there at one point... or maybe I'm just going crazy?

Do you mean this? https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/At-grade_connectors#Geometry

Kent Smith added that section in August 2012. Its title changed since then, but the content has never changed.

**Update:

There was an old section in the JSG on using geometry to control turn instructions. It also contained much more extensive use and discussion of geometry throughout the page. You can find that versioon here: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... 6#Geometry

The next revision removed it per a revamp of the page discussed in the forum. That version is here: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... ldid=67256

You can see the complete set of differences between them here: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... ldid=67256

I do remember the forum discussion about this, but I haven't dug it up.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Re: [Broken Link] Limited Access Interchange Style Guide

Postby sketch » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:22 pm

While we're on the topic... https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Limited_Acce ... tyle_Guide

Aren't there known navigation-instruction problems with the collector-distributor cloverleaf setup recommended by the guide? As in, the keep-left/keep-right at the middle junction point where the ramps meet are not given with restricted turns like that? We should let detour prevention take care of it.

I'm also not a fan of the "bottom" cloverleaf ramp setup suggested here:
  1. We should map things accurately unless there's some important navigational need to do so;
  2. There's nothing wrong with short-ish freeway segments;
  3. Even if we don't remove that, the suggestion that it's good to put exit instructions too early is bad. Timing of exit instructions is important; putting it too early can lead to confusion and will lead to the exit instruction text vanishing from the screen before you actually take the exit. A big problem especially for those who navigate without sound.

I'd also also like to see some mention of where to actually place the ramp junction with respect to the physical point where the ramp splits from the highway (before it, but only by a little — not all the way back at the point the exit lane begins; the inverse for entrance ramps).
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion