Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by kentsmith9
I took the liberty to create a copy of your chart and added the headers (including a temp vert header). Updated Chart. I also updated a few elements in the table to simplify maintenance.
sketch wrote:Sort of wish I could use a different page as a sample, since the entire main page is set to the "smaller" font size ;)
I assume you know you can change your individual settings and see any page in that style. In the mean time how about: :mrgreen:
Cologne Blue
Modern
Monobook (Default)
Vector
sketch wrote:I reverted the draft page to the default size with the exception of the caution box. The box was really difficult to follow in the default font size.
I can take a look at it with the default size to see if I can improve readability if you like. I don't think I have found a Wiki page I could not make readable at any typeface or size. :D
sketch wrote:I wonder why Monobook is the default. I really don't know why all the text in it is so big. I've switched to Vector (which is what Wikipedia looks like) and I find the Wiki is a lot easier to read now.

The problem, of course, is that we have to design the Wiki for the default, and if I'm going to be doing any sort of format editing in the Wiki, I'm going to have to suck it up and use the Monobook theme. The combination of large text and large margins makes it quite cramped.

I didn't see that previous discussion of the Wiki's layout. Is there any reason we default to Monobook?
I actually thought Monobook was the Wikipedia default. I personally use Vector for Wikipedia, but I don't think that was the default over there, was it?

According to MediaWiki the default skin has been Monobook since version 1.3.0.

Narrow columns are traditional for simplified reading by the average reader. Putting too much information on a single horizontal line of text is more difficult to follow from left to right.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I hear you describe huge letters between the page types, but for some reason I only see maybe 2 point sizes between the two page styles. If 2 points is a huge difference for you, then OK. Otherwise we need to take screen shots on each of our systems and compare. Maybe you have something else going on too.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
CBenson wrote:What's wrong with davielde's sheet?
The sheet is full of great data. The problem is change tracking is missing.

I propose we move the content of the sheet to a Wiki page to get 100% edit tracking and revert capability to protect the data.

I propose the page be [[National resources/USA/Functional classifications]]. On that page we can have the table of links for all the states. Then each state page can link directly to this page. We can put anchors in the table so individual state pages can point to this table and we only have to maintain one source. That page would also have guidance on why we use FCs.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
sketch wrote:On it.

edit: Done.
Beautiful job sir. And you even created breadcrumb links. Super nice. We are working on getting a template for automating that (soon :lol: ). Likely to call it {{ParentPage}} so you never have to worry about the actual page name changing or any typos in it.
HavanaDay wrote:1)I already have a link direct from the NC wiki page. Does anybody see any benefit to pointing the link from the NC wiki page to here or just leave it direct on the NC page?
On this question in particular, I propose that multiple placements of the same data is hard to maintain. Instead because we have this single, common page for all states, I propose each state link back here for the FC web links. You can use
I know that name is long, so we could also create a redirect for editors with [[FC-USA]] linking to [[National_resources/USA/Functional_classification]]. Then you could use [[FC-USA#North_Carolina]] on the North Carolina page to get to the NC entry on this FC page.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
HavanaDay wrote:
I know that name is long, so we could also create a redirect for editors with [[FC-USA]] linking to [[National_resources/USA/Functional_classification]]. Then you could use [[FC-USA#North_Carolina]] on the North Carolina page to get to the NC entry on this FC page.
I might need some help figuring this part out. We can take that through PM if you want though.
For the benefit of everyone I'll answer part of the question here.

I have created the redirect mentioned above so that [[FC-USA]] redirects to [[National resources/USA/Functional classification]]

Now on a state page you can include [[FC-USA#North_Carolina]] to go directly to the North Carolina entry in the table.

Note that the table on the [[FC-USA]] page needs an update for each of the other states in the table to get the same {{anchor|STATENAME}} template that I did for North Carolina.

Note also any two name state requires the "_" character in the Wikilink to properly redirect to the table on the [[FC-USA]] page.

If anyone wants me to actually do this to one of the state pages as a live example, just give me the link to the state page desired.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
sketch wrote:I did it for the Louisiana page.

Is it worth Wikilinking the state names in the FC maps table to the state mapping resources pages? I think yes.
I agree.

Also thanks to sketch and russblau for adding all the anchors.
CBenson wrote:Here is the Maryland page: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Maryland#Fun ... sification
I added the basic info to that section. It can probably use some clean up from my basic change. If you want to describe more of the FC concept on that page, go ahead. Also I was not sure if the links below my entry was now duplicating the main table page or not.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
No vote is necessary if we have clear consensus and few if any identified negative opinions to the change. We can always undo the Wiki change if we find other opinions we did not recognize to the contrary.

On other pages we usually clone the page as a subpage and make all the changes. Everyone gets to see the proposed final in a proper Wiki format and then we past the final onto the old page.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Sketch and I have been discussing the section name for the new table added to this page.

We are debating a few name options and wanted to get some additional feedback. Options we have discussed for that section include:
  1. Quick reference chart
  2. Cross reference table
  3. Road type correlation chart
  4. Correlation chart
  5. FC cross reference
  6. Functional class cross reference
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message