Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by krikketdoug
I agree that it should be the first search result.

Also, an additional thought: When I hit the "search" button and get the results that include the Places marker, I would like to see the name from the Places marker displayed. Right now it's only a bunch of addresses. If you're looking for (say) a restaurant with a lot of similar names, being able to choose based on the name in the database would be a good-thing in my book. 8^)

Krikket
krikketdoug
Send a message

Post by krikketdoug
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
mdavidsonjr wrote:They need to have it so that waze would be the first search. With more and more places being added to the waze map it will get better results.
Lots of us share your opinion. Waze disagrees and will not, for the foreseeable future, make this happen.
Okay. I can accept this, but don't agree with the answer. Is it permissible to ask why this won't happen? It seems to be the next logical step...
krikketdoug
Send a message

Post by krikketdoug
That makes sense. Thanks for following up!
krikketdoug
Send a message

Post by krikketdoug
Two related thoughts I'd like feedback on.

1> If possible, aside from just which search engine was used to generate a result to the user, not just us. (IE: Google versus Waze Places, versus...? And I'm talking about searching using Waze as your "search engine".)

A real life example that's been driving me a little crazy, but I expect no one else to really care about. Do a search for Red Lobster in Downer's Grove, IL. I get back 2 results that look identical (3001 Finley Ave, Downers Grove, IL) (among other results). Depending on which link I click, I either get correct routing or incorrect routing, and I can't tell which result is causing the incorrect or correct routing. (Right now the whole lot is locked beyond my level, to prevent further tampering... But it's a puzzle I want to solve.) The reason no one else will ever really care about it is because it routes you well enough. Either way you get to the correct shared parking lot. If it was up to me, well, now I'm getting off topic. I think the reason for wanting to see the results is clear enough.

2> Due to the poor search engine that Waze uses, I'd like to suggest a standard on naming Places. Don't use apostrophes, ever. Speaking from experience, the addition of an apostrophe in a name (as Google might present, since they don't seem to have this limitation) such as "Wok 'n Fire" can't be found by searching "Wok n Fire" from what I've seen. While more technically correct, I doubt many cell phone users would even think of entering the " ' " mark because we are used to using better search engines. So until this search engine bug is fixed, I would suggest that we simply eliminate the apostrophe. Hardee's would become Hardees, etc...

Any thoughts on this? I'm curious to hear what others have to say.

Krikket
krikketdoug
Send a message

Post by krikketdoug
ScottZane wrote:@krikketdoug

I tried searching for the Red Lobster you are referring to. I'm only getting 1 hit that is in a lot on the SE corner of Finley/Butterfield. Perhaps somebody already helped you with the issue in WME? As for the incorrect routing, I'm not sure what you are getting at with that. Is it directing you to a completely wrong destination, or is it just giving you unusual directions to the correct location?
Interesting. Now I'm baffled, as I'm getting inconstant results. Still getting two results for Red Lobster in Downers Grove (Yes, the same location you found) without names, but I am getting other Places(points) returning correctly in my searches. And no names for the Red Lobster in question, but I am getting names for other Place searches. Maybe it has something to do with my search history, even though I deleted the old information before the new search.

The destination is correct, just sometimes the very final directions are wrong, leading you the long way to the end-point. As I said, it's minor enough I don't expect anyone to care. I'm just being nit-picky. 8^)
2. I tried searching for "Wok n fire" and had no trouble locating several restaurants that come up as "Wok 'n Fire" or similar (all have the apostrophes, with or without spaces). My own opinion is that the names of places in Waze should match what is seen on the sign outside the business. The search engine is better than you think it is, but I'm not sure why I can find these places while you can't. That sounds like a different issue to me.
I suspect a change in the background workings of the search engine here, as the results have now changed for me as well.
krikketdoug
Send a message

Post by ScottZane
@krikketdoug

I tried searching for the Red Lobster you are referring to. I'm only getting 1 hit that is in a lot on the SE corner of Finley/Butterfield. Perhaps somebody already helped you with the issue in WME? As for the incorrect routing, I'm not sure what you are getting at with that. Is it directing you to a completely wrong destination, or is it just giving you unusual directions to the correct location?

2. I tried searching for "Wok n fire" and had no trouble locating several restaurants that come up as "Wok 'n Fire" or similar (all have the apostrophes, with or without spaces). My own opinion is that the names of places in Waze should match what is seen on the sign outside the business. The search engine is better than you think it is, but I'm not sure why I can find these places while you can't. That sounds like a different issue to me.
ScottZane
Send a message

Post by sketch
mdavidsonjr wrote:They need to have it so that waze would be the first search. With more and more places being added to the waze map it will get better results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Instant does not give Waze results. (It will show favorites and recent destinations which are also Waze results, but it does not search the Waze database.) Waze results can't be placed first in Instant because they aren't placed in Instant at all.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
It will, just not in Instant. I believe they are intending upon a matching function like for addresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!