Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by kentsmith9
OK. I think the other thread I started in the Wiki forum on End Points will solve that problem for future searches. Thanks for bringing it up.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Mike-1323 wrote:Searching for "toll" or "toll road" does not return the toll roads as a page title match or a page text match. However, searching for "toll roads" takes you directly to toll road section of the best map editing practice page.

Shouldn't the best editing practices page at least show up as a match for the first two searches.
In a word, Yes. :mrgreen:

The problem is our Wiki seems unusually limited in its search capability. Wikipedia does a much more effective job at coming up with "possible" matches compared to what the Waze Wiki will do. Perfect example of the feedback we need from Wiki searches. Every time I look for something in the Wiki, if I cannot find it I keep looking until I do and then link the prior searches through redirects to help future searches.

So I added redirects for both of those terms and "Toll booth" to link to the best practices page. I then cross linked that entry to the Segment properties page that shows the Toll Road check box and vis-a-versa.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
CBenson wrote:I would suggest that key words like "address" result in finding the new "House Numbers" page.
Good idea. In fact since there are a couple of uses for "Address" I created a disambiguation page for address.

If there are other uses for Address we can add them as well.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
shawndoc wrote:"Service Road" and "Service Roads" should pull up the USA Road Types page on the first page of results. I got UK and Italian pages that discuss road types, but not the USA page.
Since we can't make a redirect because these are not country-specific, we may need Kent and his wiki-foo to figure out how to get them appear higher.
We don't have control of where they appear in the results page (and I have not seen any plug-ins that will do that for us). Today we can only force the searched name to be redirected to a page.

What we could do is have them go to this page and then at the top say this page is USA specific with a link to a page that lists all other countries for other country specific guidelines. Note that some countries do have more specific info and others have nothing.

I believe we often use USA as the base page and then have links to other countries based on user base being currently highest in the USA. We currently have a few of the road types already linking to this page, so this might be an further improvement to the current solution.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Anyone having trouble with search should review this other thread until the temporary Wiki search failures are fixed.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
sketch wrote:Information about searching in the client seems pretty difficult to get to. There doesn't seem to be any article which specifically covers searching, so perhaps "search", "client search", "app search"
Great one. We now have a Search disambiguation page with 6 different entries. I then created a bunch of redirects using mainly "APPNAME Search" and "Search APPNAME" to their respective locations.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
qwaletee wrote:I switched the first entry. It used to link to a section of the client application page that covered rank icons. Instead, it now links to the Waze symbols page, which includes the same section. Made more sense this way, and covers the problem you found.
And this made me realize the [[Waze Symbols]] page is a better primary direct for [[Icon]] and [[Icons]] so the [[Waze Symbols]] page has a hatnote to show there are a few other icons that you may be interested in. Later we can incorporate info on those icons on the page and drop those links (and remove the DAB page altogether (as unnecessary).
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
PesachZ wrote:I was searching for Dead Ends and started typing [Dead E...] and the auto fill in the search box produced Dead End Node which is not what I wanted. There was no link to the section I was looking for either, not that I'm sure there should have been one. But possibly a "Dead End" that populates in the search box and leads to the section in the JSG, that would have helped.
Good idea. Done.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
PesachZ wrote:Tried searching for a state wiki page using the two letter abbreviation. [NY]/[ny], [CT]/[ct], maybe these (and other states) should offer a redirect or disambiguation page when appropriate.
Good idea. Are there any obvious disambiguations from the state abbreviations?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message