Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by RooikatTV_YouTube
Types: Truck 18 Wheeler

Some user said why do Waze have to care about the input of truck drivers, because they are always on the road. Well, I'm a truck driver, driving mostly only local (I'm home every night) and sometimes I drive long distance (where I'm obviously not home). Waze is a wonderful app, and can help reduce the truck related accidents. I just don't understand why cars hate trucks. When you have Waze to help the cars warn about slow trucks, and Waze help trucks to find routes that will be easier for them, and avoid to unnecessarily slow down speedy traffic. Face it, cars need trucks. We carry the food the cars need. It is faster in the shops by truck, than by train. Please, bear with trucks, and help with ideas to make Waze work for us all :-)

In SA we have a compulsory STOP for the truck over 5 metric ton Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM). Before that stop sign is a dedicated lane for the struck. Usually a stead bed is at that stop, for in case the truck fails to stop. It would be great to have a COMPULSORY STOP & STEAD BED notification in TRUCK MODE.

Some WEIGH BRIDGE is 24 hours open and require trucks to always enter the primary weigh bridge, to determine if the truck needs to be pulled over for an official weight. Thus, it would be nice if Waze can tell the driver to keep onto the bridge lane.

While in truck mode, Waze build statistics for trucks, the same as with cars, with the exception, that Waze can warn speeding traffic of a slow vehicle ahead, instead of the truck case a traffic jam in Waze. Waze can navigate trucks on routes with less hills. A long drive time on a segment can be translated as lots of hills. Thus, it may be possible to find a 10 km detour, which should be faster than the slow short route with steep hills.

When a truck stops on a long segment, Waze should ask the driver if it's a place to stop and rest. If yes, then mark a 50 meter radius. Over time, when a driver gets tired, then he can ask Waze where the nearest stop spot is. As a driver, at night, I often overshoot a place to pull over, and I can not just stop a 56 ton vehicle in 30 meter, then reverse ... I want Waze to add that as an intermediate stop. It should help reduce drivers falling asleep.

While on the truck topic. Many companies have large fleets. It would be great if the drivers can link to each other and see where each other are, either to chat, or to request assistance from his colleagues, because people just don't offer assistance anymore to strangers, due to hi-jacking.

TRUCK MODE: Compulsory stop / stead bed notification / resting spots / colleague live in client.

SOLUTION: the same as with timed turn restrictions, click clock on green arrow, the same could be done with vehicle restrictions.
RooikatTV_YouTube
Send a message
Gerald Snyman
AM: Pretoria West, Pretoria, RSA
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png

krikketdoug wrote:
Gerald_Snyman wrote:Country : South Africa
Types: Truck 18 Wheeler
I just don't understand why cars hate trucks.
As another truck driver (newly minted) I can say that most car drivers don't hate truckers. On the other hand, they do hate being slowed by trucks...
The slowing down part, I understand, but here in SA cars just downright hate trucks. oh, even if you say you're a trucker, then immediately you loose whatever status you had, and be a dummy... *sigh*
krikketdoug wrote: Which is why I've advocated for a "Alternative truck" category. You have 18 wheelers, and you have smaller box-trucks... I don't expect Waze to recognize all the differences, particularly when it comes to gross vehicle weight.
I fully agree! Let's just start with one truck mode. In SA, vehicles over 3.5 ton GVM are considered heavy vehicles. Usually 5+ ton needs to adhere compulsory safety stops, weigh bridge, speed, etc.
krikketdoug wrote:
I'd love to see mandatory rest stops, but I don't think that's reasonable...
What??? Drive 1600 km (1000 miles) with a car, it doesn't take that long to realize, that at some point you need to take a wee, or the bright sun kills your eyes (uhm, driving with sun glases makes things worse for me), or the stark darkness overwhelms you too, and then you wish for a safe place to pull over.

I suggest a simple landmark type REST STOP, and when you within the borders thereof, your speed has no influence on the traffic data, or a parking lot segment can be made parallel to the main road. The important part is, it needs to be searchable!! A driver gets tired at any given moment. I would like Waze to, on request perhaps, to tell where the nearest rest stop is. I'm not talking about a facility with a tuck shop and huge parking lot. I'm talking about a stop spot government makes in the middle of nowhere, where a few vehicles can fit in (some is large enough for a fleet, some just 3 vehicles).

I don't know if you in USA does have the same. But here in SA, government is lifting up all major roads to a height of at least 1 m. Finding places to stop and rest, or breakdowns, etc, becomes scares. Nobody can just pull over for no reason, otherwise you become a road hazard!!! That's why, in my opinion and experience, searchable mandatory rest stops becomes really important.

Please.
krikketdoug wrote:
Gerald_Snyman wrote: Some WEIGH BRIDGE is 24 hours open and require trucks to always enter the primary weigh bridge, to determine if the truck needs to be pulled over for an official weight. Thus, it would be nice if Waze can tell the driver to keep onto the bridge lane.
Agreed! Now if we can get Weigh station/bridge added as a landmark...
What does it help to add a weigh station as a landmark, if landmarks does nothing, except for cluttering the screen and waste server data storage space? When I add a landmark, it should be searchable after map updates. Something needs to exist in Google Maps, before it can be searchable in Waze...

Here is the procedure: Make a landmark in Waze, name it, classify it. Go to Google, make a landmark, name it, classify it, wait for someone to review your Google edit, hopefully a great reviewer reviews your edit and his vote alone will pass your edit for update. Then voila, Waze can search it. What a waste of time. It's double work. Everything I do in Waze, I need to repeat that in Google. Yeah, I understand Google bought Waze, and have the control. Google Maps can still snatch Waze info, to have their maps improved via Waze editors... Whatever :roll:
krikketdoug wrote:
Gerald_Snyman wrote: Waze can navigate trucks on routes with less hills.
All ready in the works, if I understand correctly.
That's why I signed up for being a beta tester. So I can know what is in the pipeline :lol:
krikketdoug wrote:
Gerald_Snyman wrote: When a truck stops on a long segment, Waze should ask the driver if it's a place to stop and rest. If yes, then mark a 50 meter radius.
If a truck driver doesn't shut off waze when making long distance trips. I'd ask why not. Or are all trips long-distance with no stops at red lights?
I don't understand the red light part, but, as for me, I simply keep Waze on (or actually my previous navigator which works according to my personal drive statistics), to keep track of my ETA. When I see I've gained 10 minutes on my drive, then I know I can rest for that time, without loosing my ETA. When I make an unplanned stop, then I need to work to reach my ETA again. I simply don't turn off my navigator(s), because of the downside of Waze being an online route planner. In the middle of nowhere, when I turn off Waze, I need to wait for data signals again to select my destination again. When I do pull over to sleep, I turn everything off. But for any stop less than 1 hour, I keep everything on... I know I sound like we are very tight on ETA, which is not the case. I've made ETA something to keep me concentrating on, otherwise, driving becomes hopelessly boring and falling asleep while driving becomes all the more a greater risk. All experienced drivers will tell you that you feel wide awake right now, 5 seconds later you are fast asleep, simply skipping the part of feeling drowsy. Please, I ask of you to understand the importance of finding safe places to stop and rest in the country side / outback / the middle of nowhere...

NEW STUFF:
Oh yeah, what I forgot, in SA trucks have an upper max speed of 80 km/h. Everywhere in the country (freeway included), it's illegal for a truck to exceed 80 km/h (I think it's 50 mph), in most towns the speed limit is 40 km/h. Then also, any dangerous goods vehicle (even a pickup truck / bakkie / light delivery vehicle [LDV]) may not exceed 80 km/h. I know they are in the minority of being almost non-existent, but a simple decision in car mode to set the maximum speed the user wants to drive, will help already a great deal with ETA.

Right now, if Waze can add that simple feature of the user decides what the maximum speed he wants to drive, will help all vehicle types, although car type is the only available right now. My longest route is 1600 km (1k miles), and the difference between 80 & 120 km/h completely mess up my ETA. Even on a 500 km distance, a car do that in 5 hours, an 18 wheeler does that in 8-9 hours... I'm so used to driving slow, that even with my car I drive 80-100 km/h. I wish to have a setting for max speed in Waze...

The solution is fairly simple, Waze only need to check each segment's speed and if greater than user-max-speed then limit the segment speed accordingly. Or take the sum of all the segment distances that exceed user-max-speed, and calculate ETA according to user-max-speed, then add to the sum of ETA of all slow segments.
RooikatTV_YouTube
Send a message
Gerald Snyman

I'm not even going to quote each other again! Way too long a reply :lol:

You are in a habit of turning Waze on/off when you stop. I'm in a habit of snatching everything when I stop and switch to WhatsApp or Tap-a-Talk, or whatever... That is why I like to map every single gas station and shop I go to, a parking lot. So that I can be snapped to the parking lot road, and don't care about the road data for that. Thus, one of the reasons I wish to have parking lots all over the country! :lol:

Yeah, the resting place must be an actual place I can pull over to climb out of the vehicle and stretch my legs, without worry traffic running me over on the main road. Because virtually, that's the case with Waze at the moment...

Hmmm, it's unfair NA servers got the cool stuff, and INTL don't .... soooooo unfair.

Max speed setting, sweet :-)

Ok, unless you want to reply, I'm happy with where we are standing :-)

Next....... BICYCLE!
RooikatTV_YouTube
Send a message
Gerald Snyman

Post by rsouthern2016
Road Type: highways with HOV lane

Does Waze identify the difference in the traffic flows between HOV and non-HOV traffic? If not I think the higher speed from the HOV lane is throwing off the road segment average speed and arrival time at destination. Based on my use of Waze I believe it doesn't differentiate. At least in the SF Bay Area, the arrival time is always 5-10 minutes optimistic, and that's with highway travel (so no variable traffic light delays).
rsouthern2016
Send a message

Post by SeatIbizaRouge
Hi everybody !

Most used vehicles should be added like Bicycles, Motorbikes, Trucks, SUVs
(and even a Pedestrian mode would be nice :lol: )

Of course by adding specific vehicles, you should create specific roads (bicycles paths, ...) and the possibility to add authorized vehicles in the road options (in WME).

(I'm sorry if my english is bad, but happily you can't hear my awful French accent :lol: )
SeatIbizaRouge
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/20 ... banner.png
Waze 3.7.7 • AM Sud Htes-Alpes (05) • AM FeedTheWaze 04-05

Post by SeatIbizaRouge
petervdveen wrote:
Riamus wrote:Don't say never.
never.
:lol:
SeatIbizaRouge
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/20 ... banner.png
Waze 3.7.7 • AM Sud Htes-Alpes (05) • AM FeedTheWaze 04-05

Post by serega_12
HOV lane addition would be nice.
serega_12
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by SERVBLOODBIKER
I delivery blood as a volunteer emergency rider here in the UK where filtering lanes is perfectly legal. Our dispatchers are increasingly making use of Waze as the ETA feature is great for monitoring rider safety and progress.

A motorcycle mode with the ETA adapted to take account of progress through traffic queues would be invaluable.
SERVBLOODBIKER
Send a message

Post by ShaunMapper
Ferry boat - Washington State Ferry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ShaunMapper
Send a message

Post by shellshock2872
That would be nice, I have been trying to find the where you make suggestions or vote on others ideals
shellshock2872
Send a message