Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Waze leaving a bad taste

Post by brandonrossl
I LOVE waze but it's going to lose users when things like this occur:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ktqI ... .06+PM.png

The Richmond airport is properly mapped but this other pin shows up in results causing people to be routed to a neighborhood behind the airport. This needs to be fixed asap but I cannot edit/remove that Pins Prediction entry.

HELP, the URs are driving me nuts!
brandonrossl

POSTER_ID:16900987

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
That "star" icon is a bad idea, too. It's too close to the star icon used for search results which are saved as a Favorite. The icon should be changed.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I agree with the issue here. Richmond airport is a plain pin (not blue; blue means Waze Place) and it shows the middle of the field, so is a google result. Hitting Search, of course, brings up the Waze result first, which then is much better. Someone made some updates yesterday, not sure what. I did a couple more updates today. I do see that Richmond International Airport search has the same issue and that is the exact primary name in WME.

This is a concerning issue. Why would google results be preferred for a near-exact match?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
brandonrossl wrote:I can't speak to general public since I use the beta android version. But the beta behavior seems to have changed, so that's good news for the future.
The Richmond Airport issue was supposedly resolved by the finding and fixing of a bug related to Waze search mechanism, which should affect all clients.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by brandonrossl
redviper26 wrote:Guys, we need some more info to check this. Can you send some of the URs? How is this affecting users? If it's not the first result, it stands to reason most would not choose it no?

The more details the easier it would be for us.

Thanks,

Noam
They're all around RIC - Richmond International Airport

Also the Norfolk Airport has the same behavior as people seem to end up in the neighborhood behind it even when there's an entry for it.
brandonrossl
Send a message

Post by brandonrossl
SUCCESS! I LOVE YOU ALL!
brandonrossl
Send a message

Post by brandonrossl
Yeah I feel like the waze search needs to default to waze and be REALLY clear on what isn't in their database. SO MANY urs are just <business> wasn't here etc. and that's just pointing to Waze not telling them where that info is coming from to begin with.
brandonrossl
Send a message

Post by brandonrossl
Doing it again.... "richmond airport" leads to center of area map pin
brandonrossl
Send a message

Post by brandonrossl
Machete808 wrote:I wish there was a way to get a message through to top-level Google Maps editors that they need to MOVE THE MARKERS for all airports to a sensible location. Placing a marker in the geographic center of an airport (which seems to be the pattern) is senseless, on the face of it.

I have left countless reports in Mapmaker, and it never seems to make any difference. They just sit there, pending. Airport routing should be a priority issue. Perhaps somebody is working on it, but it would be nice to get some feedback.
I'm a regional editor, that doesn't make a difference even if (and in my case) it is already correct.
brandonrossl
Send a message