Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by geeve
I have been using a Samsung S6 edge since April 2015. I have just started to notice the time and the Waze arrow have burned into my screen. Like many, I use Waze daily for 2+ hrs per day. It sits on a mountek and would have sunlight hitting it. I used an HTC One M7 for over a year with Waze and had no burn. This is very disappointing. I think Samsung and Waze are mutually responsible.
geeve
Send a message

Post by GeNeTiCShaDoW
Due to using Waze, I too see the burn in on white backgrounds, i see the time and time to arrive burned into my screen and also the big Report button aswell.

I'm using a Galaxy S7 Edge
GeNeTiCShaDoW
Send a message

Post by ggravier
Same issue here... Expensive Galaxy S7 Edge phone screen burned in by the Send a Report button of Waze. Why not have the option to hide this button until screen it touched? It's not like it's actually displaying useful information... It's only active when you need to touch it. Having an option to "Tap screen to display controls" would clear this up.
ggravier
Send a message

Post by jimjeffcoat
Had burn in real bad with my S3, eventually had to replace the screen. Using an S5 now and it seems better in this regard.
jimjeffcoat
Send a message

Post by JJW2014
Pretty serious screen burn on my S7, fearing the S8 will go the same way.
Please sort this out Waze!

Thank you.
JJW2014
Send a message

Post by John_Sey
zestybonanza wrote: The S4 has an AMOLED screen which is different than LCD or LED and thus prone to burn-in.
Yes, the combination of high temperature (exposed to the sun in front of the car), high brightness (so you can see it in sunny weather in the front of your car), on for long periods of time (hrs on whilst on the road), and some static screen elements are all potentially bad news for an OLED screen. As this use case is a big part of how I use my phone, it's the one reason I've so far resisted any phone with an OLED/AMOLED screen, despite the benefits of it in other respects. I don't want to mess with having to "manage" protecting the screen from burning.

Some folk don't seem to have a problem with OLED screen burn these days (maybe they live in cooler climates with less sun?), so it's a case of if you want to take that chance, and guessing if screen burn will be covered by the warranty - let alone what happens after the warranty period expires. New screens aren't cheap. Otherwise just stick to phones with LCD displays...
John_Sey
Send a message

Post by John_Sey
I don't see this as a Waze probem per-se.

ANY app that leaves static screen elements will cause this problem with this kind of screen. It's just that navigation apps tend to be used for long time periods with the screen at high brightness making the burning happen quicker and more obviously.

To me it's not Waze that should warn you of this, it's the phone's manufacturer!! It's the screen technology THEY choose to use that creates this kind of problem. If there are certain types of app or use cases that cause this hardware degradation, then it's a poor choice of hardware for this kind of application... and they should tell you...
John_Sey
Send a message

Post by John_Sey
I remain unimpressed by AMOLED tech (for now). In the earlier days even the standard Android status bar (being a static element) would lead to burn-in in this area. As I recall Samsung changed the colours used in the status bar to lessen this affect in later iterations of their phones. All a bit "tail wagging the dog" - trying to find work-arounds because the technology can't quite cope with delivering the standard Android design approach - if you see what I mean...

And as I recall the AMOLED colours degrade over time at different rates Blue, Green, and then Red too - so the software in the phones has to drive the fading colours proportionately harder over time to maintain overall colours correctly.

But Samsung have the lion's share of the Android market and have produced millions of AMOLED screens, so it can't all be bad. ;-)
John_Sey
Send a message

Post by jr1982jr
This is not a reply representing Waze or my region/state. I am speaking for myself here.

Unfortunately, this is a limitation of the AMOLED screens popular in many phones. The most common complaint is about the bar at the bottom of the screen burning in because it is there far more than Waze or any other app. It seems like this should be a complaint waged at the phone manufacturers and Google to solve, not any particular app. I am only guessing here but I would bet that the night mode would impact the screen less. When I replaced my phone at the beginning of the summer, I looked to see which phones had the Verizon logo burn, less obvious as part of my consideration process.
jr1982jr
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by kiekerjan
I was wondering what this orange circle in the right bottom corner of my screen was. Although it was only visible on a white screen it annoyed me that it was there. Was my screen broken? I even replaced the screen protector :?
I just saw this topic and suddenly it was clear. It is the big bright orange "report" button of Waze! I didn't know I had an Amoled screen (Oneplus X) nor that these are prone to burn-in. You learn something every day :mrgreen:
Since usually static bright items on the screen cause burn-in, it would be nice if the button could be made less bright, or less static (disabled, or invisible when not used)
kiekerjan
Send a message