Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by Lonewolf147
Becher St in Milwaukee is currently pronounced as if it rhymed with Decker. The correct pronunciation for us is a long EE sound. BEETcher St.

Although there is no real answer as to why we pronounce it this way, that is the local pronunciation of it.

Lonewolf147
Send a message

Post by Lonewolf147
Kayos_On_The_Road wrote:Hi,

A couple of TTS issues experienced in Canada (waze V3.8.0, Android 4.4.2, Navigation guidance English (US) (Tom)). The Canada Post abbreviation guidelines are what we are supposed to be using as a naming convention. The two issues are:

Full Name Abbreviation
Diversion Divers
Point Pt

Currently the TTS engine states "Divers" and "P T". On the wiki page the Point abbreviation is listed as untested, so I guess it doesn't work...

Thanks,
Kayos
Pt still comes up at Pee Tee in the U.S., can this be fixed yet to say Point?
Lonewolf147
Send a message

Post by Lonewolf147
I just got a report that CH-ID in Wisconsin pronounces as County Highway Idaho, instead of County Highway Eye Dee.

Lonewolf147
Send a message

Post by Lonewolf147
PesachZ wrote:How are WI CH names generated?
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. The CH names are what the county names them.

I can change this road to put the ID in single quotes if need be as a workaround, but I thought we could have things specified if it came after a hyphen. So that -ID would be Eye Dee and just ID would still be Idaho.
Lonewolf147
Send a message

Post by Lonewolf147
CH names are always letters here. But how they decided what letters to use is up to each county and can be from a number of reasons.
Wikipedia wrote:Wisconsin uses letters as route designations for its county roads. Routes may be labeled with a single letter (CTH-H), double letter (CTH-LL or CTH-AB) or triple letter (CTH-BBB). Roads are usually named sequentially, though there is leeway to have the letter designation stand for the initials of a road, geographical feature, political division (such as CTH KR along the Kenosha/Racine county line) or in honor of a person.

Route designations may or may not be repeated within a single county, mostly depending on the size and population of the county. Designations also may or may not continue over a county line. Usually the letter designation remains the same when the route is a former Wisconsin state highway that has been decommissioned and turned over to county control. There is no east/west or north/south pattern restrictions on which letters can be used for a road, and they can be looped around counties and metropolitan areas.
Note, we do not use CTH- for our naming standard. We use CH-.
Lonewolf147
Send a message

Post by LostRiver2008
Mispronunciation of "Live" in "Live Oak Plantation" (pronouncing with a short "i")

Using Jane / U.S. English

Should be: "Live" with a long "i:

When I start my routing and Waze says "OK, let's take Live Oak Plantation . . . " it is pronounced correctly (long "i"), however when navigating onto this road Live is pronounced with a short "i". Could this be corrected (I would guess there are many other varations of "Live Oak" roads in the southeast)? Thanks in advance!

https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor?env=u ... s=10038679
LostRiver2008
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by maelstr0m_X1
Road mispronunciation: Permalink

User reported, and I confirmed via BOTG, that Jane mispronounces the name of this road as "FINE-durn"; it should be "FIN-durn".
maelstr0m_X1
Send a message

Post by mapcat
Thanks for putting together the list. Very thorough. I look forward to seeing the results as they come in.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by mapcat
jenncard wrote:Per The Chicago Manual of Style, the correct abbreviation for Doctor is "Dr." and Saint is "St." (just as Ph.D. and NOT PhD is the correct abbreviation for that which I seek) :geek:
I must have left my Chicago Manual of Style in my other office, so I can't check, but what does it recommend for Drive or Street?
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1