This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by mapcat
banished wrote:
bmitch3020 wrote: Label: Geo Wash Pkwy
TTS: George Washington Parkway.
Label: Geo. Wash. Pkwy = TTS: George Washington Pkwy

Rationale: "Wash" is not wholly uncommon word in street names.
In cases such as this it makes much more sense to change the street name, IMO. If we acknowledge that some street names can be shortened, and not just commonly abbreviated prefixes/suffixes/directionals, we'd only over-complicate things, with little upside.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by mapcat
AndyPoms wrote:
Webs101 wrote:Est is east in Quebec. It's grating to hear Waze say "estate" all the time.
Isn't that because it's French? (i.e. Nord, Sud, Est, Ouest = North, South, East, West)

Wouldn't it just be easier to use N, S, E, W as the cardinal (compass) directions in Waze? And then you can change the language in the app to either Engilsh (and get North, South, East, West) or French (and get Nord, Sud, Est, Ouest) - I think, I'm not about to change my Waze to French as I may never get it back to English.
No, he's saying that Waze pronounces roads like "Autoroute 20 Est" as "Autoroute Twenty Estate" instead of the preferred "Autoroute Vingt Est".

Unfortunately, the North America server (USA+Canada) only has English TTS at the moment, and until all the Anglo pronunciations are correct, I doubt they'll be able to work on the other languages.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
Someone pointed out that TTS has no idea what to do with "Trfwy", an abbreviation used for "Trafficway" in the Kansas City area. Trfwy is used on BGS, so even though it's geographically limited, it's still worth adding to the list.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
Alice2 wrote:I just discovered how TTS treats one of the exits and streets here. On printed maps, the street is written as UTSA Blvd. The Waze map has it as Utsa Blvd. It is supposed to be pronounced as 'you tea ess aaa' sounding out each letter. TTS tries to say the name as a word - "ootsa Blvd". The exit signs for this street have it as 'UTSA Blvd / University of Texas at San Antonio', and TTS announces "ootsa Blvd / University of Texas at San Antonio". I see in this thread that to be pronounced as letters, they should be written as lower case surrounded by single quotes. That would probably look awkward -- 'u' 't' 's' 'a' -- and unmanageable if you have to write it very many times. How should this be handled to get the right announcement?
I don't think it's saying you're supposed to use lower case in quotes, just that that style will produce the desired result. It may prove valuable if Waze provides us with a TTS override field at a later date. But for now I don't think there's a way to get it to work; even leaving spaces in between the letters might get you a "south" where you don't want it.

On a related note, one of my job sites has the acronym OSUM, and that's how I entered it in my favorites list. At some point recently, Waze began announcing "Arriving at Awesome" as soon as I pull into the parking lot. Which is awesome.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
Is it essential to have TTS say "Bureau of Indian Affairs Thirteen" for that road? What's wrong with calling it "be eye ay thirteen"? Or would TTS call that "by-ah thirteen" instead?
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
vectorspace wrote: (2) TR-xxx

Pronounced "Tribal Route" followed by the characters (up to six, but could just be one). This would be a generic tribal route designation for any tribal land that would accommodate it. This is not intended to be mandatory for use on all tribal lands, but rather a common form similar to "SR-xxx" for state routes.
The spreadsheet lists TR-xxx as a proposed abbreviation for Township Road.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Why not just use the global standard of E for east?
Because east does not sound like est, perhaps?

I can't think of any compelling need to keep est as an abbreviation for estate. I don't recall ever needing it.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by MarionOaks
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
xteejx wrote:Any chance we can have Saint back the way it was, ie St at the start. Annoying work if we have to change them all!
I don't think we should have Waze relying on positional pronunciation. It's just bound to fail. If we make it a standard that "St" is "street" and "St." is "saint" then we know exactly how it will be pronounced regardless of where it is in the street name.
That would make TTS so much more reliable (once all the St are changed to st.'s that is) I'd like this, especially for exits. Exit ##: to St Something will possibly say to Street Something, instead of Saint Something as an example. But if we make it St. Something, with the TTS standard being that, it should read to Saint Something.
MarionOaks
Send a message
Map Editor Level: 4
Current project: Map Reports/Speed Limit Verification
Next Project(s): TBD
Devices:
Dell Inspiron for edits
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge for the road

Post by MGODLEW
I discovered an issue with TTS the other day for this "Place" Magisterial District Court 11-3-07 Its official name is Eleven Three Zero Seven however waze pronounces 11-3-07 as November 3rd, 2007. "Arriving Magisterial District Court November 3rd, 2007"
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Last edited by MGODLEW on Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am best reached via Discord, give me an “@“

Post by MGODLEW
It is with a heavy heart, I am sad to report, I was not in the Delorean that day. The flux capacitor needed some fine tuning so I was forced to use my hoverboard.
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
I am best reached via Discord, give me an “@“