[Script] WME Toolbox

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [script] WME Toolbox

Postby SuperDave1426 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:09 pm

Is the Junction Node Fixer that this toolbox relies on also going to be moved to the Chrome store before Google locks down being able to install plugins locally? :-)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:27 pm

The Toolbox isn't loading for me this morning. Doesn't even seem to be trying - I don't see the usual Chrome status message at the bottom that it's waiting on wazeteam.com, etc. I just checked and the loader extension is still there and enabled.....

Anyone else having this problem?
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:17 pm

Thanks. :-)

Once again, this illustrates, really well, why the plugin itself should be permanently cached until there's a new version to be downloaded via the loader, or just drop the "loader" concept and put the plugin itself into the Chrome Store (which also lets it be auto-updated, albeit not as quickly).

Just sayin'..... :?
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:35 pm

doctorkb wrote:SuperDave,

I initially pushed for this as well, but Oyyo has incorporated certain features that aren't available to all editor ranks. If he put it out there in the webstore or other "public" area, it could be reverse-engineered to circumvent these restrictions.

Ok, fine, I can understand that. Then it needs to keep a local copy of what the loader downloads cached, and then if the loader can't contact the server for some reason, you've still got a working toolbox. Doing this would create even less of a load on that server, since the loader app would only have to actually download a new copy if there's an updated version or a change to your editor rank level.

There's a lot of people using this Toolbox app. Having them all rely on a server to get the app each time they want to use it (AKA, a single point of failure) creates a lot of headaches for those who use it. It's extremely aggravating to be trying to do map edits and have a tool that you rely on just suddenly disappear or stop working.

As illustrated every time the server goes down or other reasons for things like this happening. :(

Seriously. It needs to be made "server fault tolerant." Keeping the last downloaded version cached and only downloading when a new version is available (or the cache gets wiped for some reason) would go a long way towards accomplishing that.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:17 pm

Now, if only we could get OyyoDams to agree with it.... :D
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:57 pm

OyyoDams wrote:
SuperDave1426 wrote:Now, if only we could get OyyoDams to agree with it.... :D

It's not just a question of "yes or no". Some of magic features of Toolbox need this external hotsing. Besides, I've already tried to cache the code and the result was a nightmare. So for now it works better like that.

Except when it doesn't work at all. 8-)

But I see your point. It's a shame that it's designed in a way which requires something like a server which can go down or otherwise become unreasonable. Admittedly, it's been a LONG time since I slung any code, but designing something in a way where such a small thing can bring the entire thing down for everyone was always something that was to be avoided whenever possible. So I naturally have a dislike for this particular system that you've come up with. No criticism intended, I'm just thinking out loud. But given what you're doing with it, I see the reasoning.

I still don't have to like it, though. :mrgreen:

Well, here's to hoping that server meltdowns are few and far between! :D Thanks for the explanation!
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:09 pm

fred-porto wrote:A new bug is found with the new editor's CHAT function.. at least with Chrome!

Toolbox cant handle the change of zoom level if the CHAT panel is open... roads becomes static while imagens are zoomed in or out.

If toolbox is disabled, zoom is ok.

Fred

+1
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:08 pm

Atuuu wrote:When you move pointer on other editor - to see it's name - toolbox doesn't show it (after disabling toolbox it works).

Same here.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:21 pm

pumrum wrote:It would be hugely helpful to have the tool highlight all soft nodes (not just nodes between two segments).

Also, separately, highlight all end nodes with u-turns enabled. The consensus seems to be that U-Turns should never be enabled on end nodes (except in rare occasions that I have not come across yet)

[ img ]

Although I would add that it should have an option available to highlight any end node that doesn't have a hard U-Turn restriction. I ran into a case once where a soft restriction still got someone routed down a dead-end street when that nav bug kicked in.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:34 pm

orbitc wrote:I think, the option should be added for toolbox the show U-Turns at the end of segments. Those who prefer to see it or not can either enable or disable from the toolbox menu on the righthand side.

That sounds good. There's already an option to highlight U-Turns - just add an extra one that can be clicked on or off that will highlight end nodes that have either U-Turn permitted (green) or soft restriction (red with a question mark). That would make a fabulous addition to the Toolbox. :-)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts