my screen goes black or dim (iOS)

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: my screen goes black or dim (iOS)

Postby S44NYL » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:41 am

Never seen this happen.

Although I've never had a 'popup' other than "Friends Driving" but it doesn't impact the performance of the app.

iPhone 5S 7.0.6
ImageImage
S44NYL

Postby jvlorenzen » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:55 pm

Similar behavior here, the screen darkens when I receive a popup message (a reply on an accident report that is very old and still on the map). I tap on the map, the popup is gone, the screen is dark and it does not respond to touch.

Very annoying because there are many accidents left not the map, one from yesterday was reported 208 hours ago :(.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1
jvlorenzen

Postby DippyDawg32 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:13 pm

I've had something similar, too; however, when mine has occurred it is when I'm mounting it the holder and my hand cover the camera eye thus simulating a 'wave' to ask me what I want to do, but then the screen goes very dark. I have to actually lock the phone and unlock and that seems to clear it. This only occurs with Waze, never during any other app. Kinda strange. Hasn't happened any other way as previously described by others.
DippyDawg32

Postby nzahn1 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:52 pm

Just got stuck in "grey mode". After seeing a reply to a closure, the screen is stuck grey and unresponsive. Uninstall/reinstalled without luck. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nzahn1
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby ehuff » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:17 pm

I wonder if the people having this problem experience it when they are stopped for a short time (red light, stop sign, ext...). From what I see in these screen shots, it looks like it is happening when the speed has gone to 0. I know I used to have a problem with in-app ads, and other area alerts not populating correctly which would give me that grey screen. Haven't seen in a while though.
ehuff

Postby krikketdoug » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:36 am

I've run into the grey screen using Waze on occasion, but only when stopped.

I've also noticed the same behavior with other applications if I stop using the phone for a couple of minutes. I'm guessing that this behavior is part of the iOS, not of Waze. In theory, since Waze doesn't auto-shut off, it shouldn't be effected, but my guess is that they are.

And now that we have a new iOS version as of this morning, it may be a non-issue...

Krikket

Krikket
Krikket
a.k.a. Doug Krick

ImageImage
Chicago Speed and Traffic Cameras
http://webapps1.cityofchicago.org/traffic/
krikketdoug

Postby Jezbod » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:05 am

It's still an issue on the new (3.8.1) version. Upgraded last night an I now get this problem when I had not experienced it before.
The prevent auto lock is on and the "background app refresh" setting is set as well.
I'm running iOS 7.0.4 on a iPhone 4.
Jezbod

Postby MrSugi » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:41 pm

Jezbod wrote:It's still an issue on the new (3.8.1) version. Upgraded last night an I now get this problem when I had not experienced it before.
The prevent auto lock is on and the "background app refresh" setting is set as well.
I'm running iOS 7.0.4 on a iPhone 4.

Probably already a given, but have your reinstalled the app? Also, are you running jailbroken software? If not, why are you still running 7.0.4? That may be the issue. When devs tweak the app (waze), they are doing so from the most updated version of iOS. If you are not running the current iOS, the software may not be talking correctly to the iOS due to pieces of code that have changed from the updates.
MrSugi

Postby largobob1 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:37 am

I recently had this happen too. Iphone 5. I just ended Waze, restarted it and it worked fine. It only ever happened once.
largobob1

Postby aus- » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:42 pm

This is happening on my iPhone as well. It started when I updated to latest version and when I am driving without navigation.
aus-

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App