Proposed standard for State Highway names

Post by Scruffy151
It seems to be time to reconsider the standard naming convention for state highways in Mississippi.

The proposed new standard is "MS-xxx".

I have started to see this on signs and the old standard was more the least wrong than the right way to do it. So assuming there are no complaints in about a week we will be changing the standard.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:3972338

Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
Hey guys, just wanted to say that I'm working on changing over some state roads in the Grenada/Carroll/Leflore county areas. Looks like many of them have been done already but there's a few locked pieces and isolated areas here and there that haven't been touched yet.

I don't get over this way much since I'm based in Baldwin County, Alabama, but I am the AM for those areas so I try to pop in occasionally and see how they're doing. I've been working on converting as many of the county roads to "CR-xx" format to mimic how it is in some other states (including Alabama) but with the sheer number of county roads in Carroll County alone, I don't think I'll ever be done. It doesn't help that there are just so darn many phantom roads, all with Arkansas as their state, it makes editing that much more difficult.

Anywho, I just got a new, modern computer to replace my decade-old outgoing model, and editing maps is so much more productive now! I can do a lot more than I could before, just in sheer speed of maps loading and being able to look up stuff. The downside is I can no longer access the GIS products for several MS counties; it apparently only works with older IE installs, and whatever came with Win 8 doesn't work. Ditto trying it in Firefox or Chrome. So I'll do what I can and try to be more active in those areas. Cheers!
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
@bart99gt What is the link to the Mississippi GIS site?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Scruffy151
Since there have been no objections "MS-xx" is the new standard for Mississippi state highways.

I have updated the wiki with the new standard.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Scruffy151
Until we get working shields/badges I had just planned on continuing as I have been; updating the names while doing other things and hunting the ones that are just "Hwy xxx".
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Scruffy151
Most of the signs are just the number in a oval. I haven't seen another "MS" sign since I made the earlier post and am starting to wonder if I was mistaken.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Scruffy151
sketch wrote:I do think that signage should be considered with far more weight than a departmental website, since drivers are going to see signs, not websites, while they're using Waze. What the bulk of signage actually says, though, is a factual inquiry.
The problem with that is; of the signs that are not shields, "Hwy xx" or "Highway xx" is by far the most common. I personally think that naming convention has no place in a GPS app or map of any kind, it should be defined state, US, county, or interstate as appropriate.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Scruffy151
Yeah muddy it is. That's why I wasn't adverse to changing. In my opinion "SR-xx" and "MS-xx" are the least bad solutions, neither is a good solution.

I guess the best thing would be if the TTS would expand "MS-xx" to "Highway-xx".
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Scruffy151
Go with MS-xx in that area. That is where that format has the highest penetration allready.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Scruffy151
There is a pause but it is not bad.

I guess that means it is time to start changing names a bit more aggressively.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message