Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

[Script] FC Highlights

Post by bz2012
As I fight to convert areas from old mapping standard roads to FC mapping standards,
I was wondering how difficult it would be to 'recolor' the roads on the map so that
1) the colors 'match' the US FC maps colors for the equivalent types of WAZE map types.
objective: make the WAZE map, if properly configured, MATCH the FC map. That way, a quick glance at an area should show which segments need to be fixed.

2) optionally add 'grey scale density variations' to the 'white types' so that they are easy to distinguish from each other 'at a glance'.

Not sure if this would be best done as options in Color Highlights or a separate extension.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

POSTER_ID:4185752

Send a message

Post by awhardin
I installed v0.7.1 without a hitch in Chrome. It's management tab shows up in the left edit panel of WME with the color selection boxes, associated "dash" check boxes and the Change road type labels check box. However, even when I check the Change road type labels option those label boxes never show up. I have clicked the Refresh button on the management tab and have done a browser window refresh. I have closed Chrome and reopened.
Also, no option is showing up in the Layers dialog to select for showing the FC Highlights. Any suggestions?
awhardin
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
Thank you for this script. I am sure that when a few kinks are worked out and some of us are educated in the proper use, it will be very useful!

I am currently trying to figure out how to get it to work and how to use it.

When I activate or deactivate the roads flash briefly with the highlight colors but go back to 'default' immediately.

If I turn off roads and activate/deactivate I get a brief glimpse of the FC'd colored segments.

Am I missing some magic words or arcane gestures?

When active, selected segments disappear except for their end points.
When active, 'shift-r' no longer toggles the roads layer. It must be turned on and off with the cursor.

Actions change when I pick a different 'left bar function' (like I go to 'Me' and go back to FC) or I alt tab to the forum window and then back to WME.
Now it is 'flashing' FC roads and the 'shift-r' is working.
Flashing continues even when I uncheck the FC roads enable box.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
doctorkb wrote:
With regards to the flashing: do you have WME Colors & Highlights or the Highlight Places script installed and enabled? At the moment, they collide and are likely to produce that symptom.

If you don't, I'd love to do what I can... first off, I'd suggest trying WMECH (alone) to see if it does the same thing.
I have WME color highlights. Will test with with it disabled. Thanks again.
EDIT: That stops the blinking.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
Shifting:
davielde wrote:
bz2012 wrote:A recent WME update seemed to break something.
WME FC color highlights 0.6.2 (from greasy fork, installed via tampermonkey) seems to now conflict with WME toolbox 1.5.6
When WME FC color highlights is 'enabled' in tampermonkey, the 'Toolbox Highlight Layers' pop-up is empty.

Disabling WME FC colorhighlights 'fixes' the problem.
This is a different and unrelated script from WMECH. We can shift this discussion to that thread, but I am not able to replicate the issue in Chrome between the FC highlights and Toolbox. More details are needed.
viewtopic.php?f=819&t=95473
Not sure what has changed, (nothing that I know of, except perhaps WME(?!) but I can't reproduce the problem either now!
This morning, I did a 'binary search' by turning off half my extensions, and eventually narrowed down the problem to FC Highlights. Problem would go away when it was turned off.
Now, the problem is gone. I have not even rebooted my computer.

Sorry to have bothered you.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by davielde
KuniaKid wrote:Also, a selected segment looses its' blue color just leaving the geometry nodes and the underlying color. This happens whether checkbox is selected or not.
The bottom two lines here are commented out. If you uncomment them, the WME light blue highlight for the selected segment should appear:

Code: Select all

// check that WME hasn't highlighted this segment
      var opacity = line.getAttribute("stroke-opacity");
      var lineWidth = line.getAttribute("stroke-width");
      //if (opacity == 1 || lineWidth == 9)
      //  continue;

Code: Select all

// check that WME hasn't highlighted this segment
      var opacity = line.getAttribute("stroke-opacity");
      var lineWidth = line.getAttribute("stroke-width");
      if (opacity == 1 || lineWidth == 9)
        continue;
I'm also noticing that it's not saving to localStorage, at least on Chrome.
davielde
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan

Post by davielde
After getting the okay from doctorkb, I made a few bug fixes and other changes.
The script still uses WMECH as a foundation, so in order to use FC Highlights, you'll need to disable WMECH. In v0.1, the flashing was caused by WMECH code changing the segment line color if it didn't match what was expected, and the same code in FC Highlights fought back... In v0.2, I commented out that part of the code, conceding victory to WMECH. If you enable both scripts, you will only see the FC colors flash once when you check the "Highlight FC Road Types" box. I don't really see a good way around that unless we eventually add FC to a new map layer as Timbones suggested or combine FC with WMECH.

Download v0.2

Version 0.2 Notes
1) Corrected issue with ramp highlighting
2) Corrected issue where selected segments would not display the standard WME light blue line
3) Added textboxes for the different FC road types for user custom input
4) Corrected issue with saving to localStorage and added FC road type textbox values (Chrome only)

While considering the change to add selections for each state, unless someone wants to hire a Waze intern to track down the colors for each state and keep them updated over time, it might be a better use of dev time to just let each user add their custom colors. We could eventually over time post the state colors here or in the wiki, but the user would control what colors display rather than the developers.

Colors don't need to be the hex color values (i.e. #ffffff)--you could just type "White" or any other common color. Please provide some feedback on this change since it was not part of the requested direction to add the states as a dropdown selection.

davielde
Send a message
WME Michigan

Post by davielde
doctorkb wrote:In light of the recent "external sources" issue and the consequent conversation in the Toolbox thread, this request is beyond asinine.
To be fair, that request was made well before the external source concerns came to the forefront in the Toolbox thread.

Apart from the recent turmoil surrounding the use of external sources in WME, I don't think it would be reasonable or fair to do this for just one state. Once you start looking at individual states, however, it becomes a much larger effort due to lack of consistency in the technology used by each state. It looks like CalTrans serves up their road layer using a KML file in any case. AFAIK, that file needs to reside on the same web server as the host site, and it's just a hunch, but I'm guessing that Waze wouldn't host it... Michigan serves up FC as a single ARCGIS layer. Louisiana has each road type as a different ARCGIS layer. And so on for each state... Too specialized to do for "fun" even if it were condoned by Waze.
davielde
Send a message
WME Michigan

Post by davielde
doctorkb wrote:And as long as you took Quebec, many of us would thank you for it! :)
Bien sûr!
davielde
Send a message
WME Michigan

Post by davielde
voludu2 wrote:I just installed this in Chrome, started a new Chrome window -- and don't see any sort of Highlights tab.
What have I done wrong?

I did try installing Timbones' color highlighter. That seems to work just fine. Then I disabled it and re-enabled the FC highlighter -- nothing.
I cannot replicate even with the 64-bit version of Chrome or by enabling a number of scripts that all use that section. The script tabs eventually create a second and third row, and I always have "FC Highlight" visible. Any more info about your setup that could help track it down?
davielde
Send a message
WME Michigan