Reporting on an a road condition AFTER passing it.

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Moderators: Unholy, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Re: Reporting on an a road condition AFTER passing it.

Postby AutoDMC » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:01 pm

EightBitRanger wrote:I'm not entirely sure if this is accurate or not, but it seems to me that a report is positioned where I first hit the report button, regardless of how far down the road I am before it's submitted as long as I submit it before it times out.

When you hit the report pin button, a little flip notification comes up letting you know "Location and time saved." As long as you leave that menu open, the time and location will pin it to when you tapped the button, not when you send the report.

Alternatively, you can select the type of report, then save the report for later, by hitting the "Later" button or let the report time out. You then get a tab along the left hand side of the screen that you can tap later to add the details of the report.

This even works for closures; as soon as you know a route's closed hit "Report -> Closure -> Later." You can then hit the tab at the next safe location to fill out the details of the closure.

It takes a bit of practice, but once you've got the hang of it you won't have a misplaced pin ever again.
AutoDMC

Reporting on an a road condition AFTER passing it.

Postby BFry123 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:50 pm

It would be a great benefit if a driver or passenger could report on an accident, hazard, or police AFTER it has been passed.

Many times the driver and passenger are busy concentrating on the event at hand and don't have time to respond or input information about a situation on the road as it occurs.

It would be great if the system allowed you to input data AFTER a location has been immediately passed (say no more than 1 mile).

This would give more time to input more detail and accurately indicate hazards.

IMHO
BFry123

Postby bluediemond » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:39 am

not sure I see the point either. hit report...wait till you're in the clear...finish the report. I'll post back where you started the report.
bluediemond
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby EightBitRanger » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:48 pm

I'm not entirely sure if this is accurate or not, but it seems to me that a report is positioned where I first hit the report button, regardless of how far down the road I am before it's submitted as long as I submit it before it times out. So if I see a stalled car or road barricades, I can hit the report button and flesh out the details a little bit at the next light and the marker will appear back where I started it.
Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337M) running Android v4.4.2
Waze v3.7.8.0
EightBitRanger

Postby farqir » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:25 pm

I drove past an accident at an intersection today and by the time I reported it I was a little bit down the road which showed the accident on the straight section.

Please include an option to report items at previous intersection or for 100, 250 or 500m prior on route.
farqir

Postby Hammer_9001 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:55 am

I would find this to be very useful. This is especially useful for reporting closures where the person literally is only able to briefly be at the GPS location to report the closure and has to focus on the detour he has to now take.

If you need to, set a reputation based system that allows veteran users to post said reports from beyond the coordinates if you need to counter abuse.
Hammer_9001

Postby Hans886 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:29 pm

An alternative would be to allow the wazers behind you to correct the location. See my last thread.
Hans886

Postby jcluth » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:51 am

MGODLEW wrote:https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/FAQ#Can_I_add_a_road_hazard_or_accident_to_the_map_from_home_or_the_office.3F

The Waze client only allows you to report things such as Police, Accident, Hazard, Camera, etc., based on your current GPS location only.

This is to prevent abuse.

I understand the rationale--maybe it prevents abuse, but it also causes dangerous driving conditions if you try to make a report right while trying to figure out how to navigate around the closure.

A workable solution would seem to be, to me, anyway, to allow reporting a road closure in an area you've traveled within the past five minutes.

Waze made me 20 minutes late to an event today because it tried to route me around a 3-minute slowdown and tried to dump me back on the highway on a closed onramp. The way the intersection was configured, I had no choice at that point but to get on the other onramp going the wrong way down the highway to the next exit, where I had to exit, go one mile, make a U-turn, and then wait for 15 minutes for traffic trying to get on the highway. I thought I'd be a good citizen and mark the onramp closed so Waze didn't do the same thing to other drivers, but by the time I had gotten past the closure and could make the report (I wasn't driving) literally within 10 seconds of passing the closed onramp, the app no longer allowed me to make the report.
iPhone 5, always latest versions of iOS and Waze unless otherwise specified
jcluth

Postby MGODLEW » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:26 pm

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/FAQ#Can_I_ad ... _office.3F

The Waze client only allows you to report things such as Police, Accident, Hazard, Camera, etc., based on your current GPS location only.

This is to prevent abuse.
Rank 6 US Champ, Waze Mentor & iOS Beta Tester | Waze Wishlist | Improper Edits | iPhone 6: JB iOS 8.1.2 |
Area Managing: State of Pennsylvania
MGODLEW
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Return to Waze App Feature Requests