Post by ditchi56
cew118 wrote:This road i will be over the next few days/week or so be fully dotting the full street under this new places feature as an example. How's It Look?

Thoughts/comment's welcome!

Thank's
To be honest, I think it's too much work. I can't see myself putting that much effort into labelling every public building (e.g. shop) even in my own home town, never mind the rest of my AM area.

Which isn't to say that Wigan won't be great when you've finished, just that I don't see any realistic prospect of the rest of the country being done to the same standard.

My personal view is that I'm only likely to map things large enough to be an "area". I don't see myself using "point" places very much at all.

Not trying to pour cold water on your enthusiasm, just thinking about what standard we are reasonably likely to achieve consistently across the country (not forgetting that the more detail you put in, the more work is required to keep it up to date - shops round my way change quite frequently).

Ian
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 5
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
I posted some ideas about petrol station places to a separate thread. Seems like starting a new thread was a bad idea, perhaps someone would like to merge?
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
Have I mapped this place correctly?

I was prompted to map it by a Map Problem which may (or may not) have been caused by people driving into the car park.

Anyway, the points I'm uncertain of are:
- is it correct to include "parking lot" as a subsidiary category?
- is it ok for the place to cross a public road. I'm guessing that it will interfere with speed data capture, but don't see that as an issue for this particular minor road which isn't a lot of use for through traffic)
- should I add a parking lot road around the edge of the car park as well (I would if an inaccessible road was closer to the car park than the correct exit road, but in this case I don't see any point)
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
Well lets make this the official thread for now and yes, parking is going to be the biggie! We really had hoped to have a little more time to digest the changes before they were released but it seems we'll have to run with this for now.

The general guidance for Places, linked to above, should be used as a guideline for now, bearing in mind anything that might contradict the UK-specific landmark rules we already have.
Drastic changes should be avoided for the time being at least until they have been discussed here.
And please avoid calling anyone out if something seems off. Imports from the old landmarks could be wrong (I have a running track near me marked a a beach) and new systems/guidelines always take time to bed in and filter down.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by elljay23
Apparently the ITU recommend:

Code: Select all

Number	          Location
+44 20 xxxx xxxx	London
+44 29 xxxx xxxx	Cardiff
+44 113 xxx xxxx	Leeds
+44 116 xxx xxxx	Leicester
+44 131 xxx xxxx	Edinburgh
+44 151 xxx xxxx	Liverpool
+44 1223  xxxxxx	Cambridge
+44 1382  xxxxxx	Dundee
+44 1386  xxxxxx	Evesham
+44 1865  xxxxxx	Oxford
+44 1792  xxxxxx	Swansea
+44 1204   xxxxx	Bolton
+44 15396  xxxxx	Sedbergh
+44 16977   xxxx	Brampton
elljay23
Send a message

Post by elljay23
The guidelines on what photos are acceptable might be a bit of an issue - no faces, car licence plates etc. I didn't spot any guidance in the client other than "Show the exterior of this place, so Wazers can easily spot it when they arrive".

So I guess the blurry steering wheels, cats curled in baskets, green BT phone cabinets, rubbish bins, are gonna get rejected... ;)
elljay23
Send a message

Post by elljay23
I think I remember reading on the other thread (it's up to 19 pages already!) that some of the beta test data wasn't removed before the update went live.
elljay23
Send a message

Post by elljay23
I've seen quite a few otherwise good photos that have number plates clearly readable. I asked about it on the main thread as the client doesn't give any guidance to users, yet the generic Wiki page states faces and licence plates are in the "should not show" category and was told other countries requirements are different. The UK Wiki page has a holding message. Is there UK-specific guidance for Places and specifically what's not allowed in photos? Instinct tells me it's probably best not to approve them given Google Street View blurs them out.
elljay23
Send a message

Post by elljay23
Pesky real life! ;) Shout if I can help (with the Wiki, not the deadline :mrgreen:)
elljay23
Send a message

Post by elljay23
I'm confused (it's easily done :P )

What is Waze telling me is new? Everything seems to match what's already set? :?

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p67 ... e434ee.png
elljay23
Send a message