Possible Speed-trap locations

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Moderators: Unholy, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Possible Speed-trap locations

Postby Alex-Racer » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:33 pm

I would like to suggest a feature of marking on the map possible speed camera sites.

I realise there are icons to report police and speed cameras, but it would be good to report speed-traps specifically (camera vans and officers with hand held devices). They usually set up in the same places and it could be a possible warning. This would mean that Waze would also perform the same role as devices such as Roadangel, which warns you of possible accident blackspots. I would find this really useful personally.

The way it could work is if a certain number of Wazers report a speed trap at a particular location it is marked on the map. Once marked it warns other Wazers of a possible speed trap. As they go past they are asked to confirm the presence of a speed trap. This data is then used to define the times at which the speed trap is likely to be utilised and I believe this is valuable data as well.

I've been having a good read of some old posts but this didn't come up so apologies if its been mentioned before. I did notice that people tend to dislike too many alerts, but it would be very easy to have this particular feature as optional so you could switch it off.

This would add valuable functionality to Waze to warn drivers of blackspots before they become accidents. This idea was prompted by a recent experience where I encountered a camera van on a dual carriageway but it was not reported on Waze as police. Everyone around me slammed their brakes on and the traffic bunched up. I could see this as dangerous and warning of the van would have been useful.

Alex-Racer

Re: Possible Speed-trap locations

Postby EightBitRanger » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:47 am

The thing about possible speed trap sites is that they aren't always going to be occupied. Between home and work, I pass through around half a dozen 'possible' traps and in the last month I've only ever seen one occupied once. That to me is more of an inconvenience because it would compel Waze to throw out a bunch of unneeded reports.

I see no reason why the way it is set up now won't work.
Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337M) running Android v4.4.2
Waze v3.7.8.0
EightBitRanger

Re: Possible Speed-trap locations

Postby MGODLEW » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:44 pm

Alex-Racer wrote:I would like to suggest a feature of marking on the map possible speed camera sites.

Speed cams are already able to alert Wazer's of their locations. https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Cameras

Alex-Racer wrote:I realise there are icons to report police and speed cameras, but it would be good to report speed-traps specifically (camera vans and officers with hand held devices). They usually set up in the same places and it could be a possible warning. This would mean that Waze would also perform the same role as devices such as Roadangel, which warns you of possible accident blackspots. I would find this really useful personally.

Is there really a need to know the difference between camera van's that issue citations vs. officers with hand held devices? They both issue citations and both should require you to check your speed or slow down. Camera Van's or speed cam's or officer's all should be reported as police hidden.

Alex-Racer wrote:The way it could work is if a certain number of Wazers report a speed trap at a particular location it is marked on the map. Once marked it warns other Wazers of a possible speed trap. As they go past they are asked to confirm the presence of a speed trap. This data is then used to define the times at which the speed trap is likely to be utilised and I believe this is valuable data as well.

Please review the wishlist as this has been suggested before. See #11. https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Wishlist
Rank 6 US Champ, Waze Mentor & iOS Beta Tester | Waze Wishlist | Improper Edits | iPhone 6: JB iOS 8.1.2 |
Area Managing: State of Pennsylvania
MGODLEW
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Return to Waze App Feature Requests