Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

WAZE APP: Automatic Day/Night Mode

Post by chibai0404
I am currently running my WAZE App on Galaxy S4 (Android OS) and have indicated on the Setting Menu the Mode on Auto, meaning it will automatically switch the display between Day and Night modes depending on the time of the day. What I have noticed is that it does not switch to night mode. Any one knows why the App is like that? Please advise.
chibai0404

POSTER_ID:16837250

Send a message

Post by Baldugaras
Is anybody still experiencing this bug on v3.8? It appears to have been solved with the latest version.
Baldugaras
Send a message

Post by bgaltman
There are actually 2 bugs in this thread:
1. The switching (or failure of it) between night and day mode
2. The flickering/blinking of the street names

The switching is a known bug and is being worked on by the Waze product team. We do not have any indication on when this will be fixed, but we will be informing everyone through the forums and the Facebook page when this is resolved. In the mean time, I prefer to use day mode, so I leave it on day mode permanently.

The blinking of the street names is actually a two-parter on its own.
There is a bug where the map/street names flicker. This bug is also known and is being worked on.
There is however also a feature on the map, that the labels of the streets switch when there is not enough space to display all the street names at the same time. So every 1 or 2 seconds, you see the labels switch between one and another set of labels. I don't know if this is a bug, or if this is by design, but I actually think it is extremely helpful because it doesn't allow for one street label to interfere with another, possibly making the map unreadable...
bgaltman
Send a message

Post by bgaltman
From what I can tell, this bug has been resolved. I posted about this in the FB group ( and the general response there was that it is working on a wide range of different devices.

For those who still experience this bug, please let us know your device details.
This resolution works only for version 3.8.0.0 of Waze.
bgaltman
Send a message

Post by chibai0404
when does the app normally switch to night mode?
chibai0404
Send a message

Post by DokJap091
it switches from day to night normally around 6pm. pero yung from night to day medyo tirik na araw bago mag switch, past 8am na.
DokJap091
Send a message

Post by EdFromOhio
On a trip yesterday, it was still on day mode well after dark. I had driven from the Central time zone into the Eastern time zone, so maybe that had something to do with it. But since I couldn't manually set it to night mode (or don't know how) it was too bright to have on my dash. Sometime after 8pm, I put it face-down in my passenger seat and sometime between 8pm and 8:45pm, it had switched.

I'd much rather have it switch to night mode early than to have it on day mode in the dark. Oh, and FWIW, I'm also using an S4.

Update - I found the day/night option. "Mode" isn't as intuitive as Day/Night when you're driving along at 70mph in the dark.
EdFromOhio
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by kazmuth
No issue with me, it automatically switches from Day/Night mode. Let's wait for the others if they have the same experience
kazmuth
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Waze Philippines Country Manager/ Global Champ / Coordinator
Join the Philippine Waze Users Facebook group

Post by kazmuth
zurcaledsvat wrote:Can the blinking of the street names be stopped?
It's an open bug https://bugs.waze.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3633
kazmuth
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Waze Philippines Country Manager/ Global Champ / Coordinator
Join the Philippine Waze Users Facebook group

Post by nazarenojacosalem
Thanks for explanation
nazarenojacosalem
Send a message