Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Regarding Railroads

Post by shirlig
Hi guys,

We receive a lot of questions and requests from users regarding railroads behavior in the client and the way they should be marked in the editor.

Railroads are currently not displayed in the client - we know that many of you use different workarounds for this issue like setting railroads as other non-drivable road types.

Please note that our official instructions are to always edit the map in a way that reflects the reality and to avoid workarounds to deal with wrong behaviors that need to be fixed from our end.

Regarding railroads - our instructions are to mark railroads as railroads road type. Please don't use different road types in order to force its display in the client.
We plan to add railroads to the client display.

Moreover, some of you use railroads road type as a way to add comments in the editor. As we plan to add road types to the map soon - please try to remove these comments and avoid adding more of them so they won't go live :)
Better communication tools are also planned for the editor.

Comment: there were some issues that made the routing use railroads and the navigation snap to railroad segments. These issue should be fixed.

Thanks!!

Shirli
shirlig

POSTER_ID:94099

Send a message

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
banished wrote:Proposed drawing and North American naming convention here.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?re ... 137D5!1006
I think that's pretty decent. In general a bit detailed for the majority of editors, but I think a fine start to discuss. Should be posted in the wiki discussion forum because it will become part of the wiki.
He also posted it in the US champs forum railroad thread. I assume the idea is to get pre-approval by champs before submitting it to the big wiki forum.

There is some discussion over there.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by qwaletee
As I and others have said before as well, they have the distinct disadvantages of
  • being easily (accidentally!) hidable through URO+ or layers
  • too easily closed incorrectly (by yourself or anther editor who is not clued in)
  • no locking
  • no text until you click
  • not easily distinguishable from other URs
  • only work as a point, no way to create shape (arrows, especially double-headed arrows, enclosing shapes, outlines)
Neither use is ideal. Bu I find URs to be a much poorer mechanism for doing this. Can you tell that I have in fact given them a try?
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
Because it is is still out there for notes, and no suitable replacement has been implemented.

Can we please remind them also that railroads should not be implemented in the client until the note feature has been in the editor for, say, 6-8 weeks? I can just see them releasing the note feature in the editor the same day they release a client that splashes railroads again, leaving no time to clean up all the old notes. Even better, I would love to give them some algorithm for identifying the leftover notes so they can give us a report highlighting them. I would think any railroad segment that is disconnected at both ends, or any two railroad segments that are connected to nothing but each other, or any non-drivable segment with a name over 30 characters, is suspicious.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
How often do we get to thumbs-up the removal of a feature that a lot of people want?
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
Agreed with Kent on all the above. The closed URs expire, and don't have the same presence as a red road in the shape of an arrow. What I think is needed is a series of pins and callouts that are easily spotted and can point closely to 1 or 2 specific spots on the map. There also needs to be a mechanism to temporarily hide them if they get in the way, but not one that you can just set-and-forget, thereby never seeing new important messages.

Even after they implement the "proper" note-taking objects, we'll need a break-in period where we can identify any existing notes and delete or migrate them.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by petervdveen
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
qwaletee wrote:I would prefer RR stay visible now.
I'm not sure.. They are added as road, that is terribly confusing in my opinion.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Coordinator Waze Netherlands

Click here to sign-up for slack, our communication platform

Contact by email: NL - BE - Lux - Benelux

Post by petervdveen
Not that hard. That's why we wait till the last moment. As soon as they get displayed, one day later there gone. Now we can still use it if it's really needed.

Btw, it's not like there are hunderts of railroads laying across the benelux now ;-)
We don't advertise to use it, but sometimes it's just needed.
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by petervdveen
sketch wrote:
Timbones wrote:Can we have them displayed in our clients already, while the rest of the world sorts themselves out? #impatient
Like I said, use as notes is not the reason for "delay". A big change to the client map display is upcoming, but when it happens, it's going to happen all at once.

Railroads are already displayed in the Live Map, as are Runway/Taxiways.
Well, it was THE reason for the delay.

Noam said that 'Next week' the railroads would be displayed.
Then 'everyone' complained a lot and said they didn't want it, because they wanted a notes function in the editor first.
Then Noam said, okey, we will not make railroads visible in the next update.
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by petervdveen
As soon as it will happen, we will ask for a complete removal of all railroads.
Or we ask for a rule in the validator and remove them manualy in a few hours ;-)
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message