iOS 3.8.0 Feedback Thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: iOS 3.8.0 Official Feedback Thread

Postby TheSharkThatAteSnuffy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:28 am

I have been using Waze for several years and have recommended it to many people, but this update makes me think that Waze has finally Jumped The Shark.

1. I now find that my actual username is being displayed on the map instead of a nickname! Did nobody at a Waze think that they should warn the users that this major change in privacy was happening? If you are going to start displaying personal information on a public map you should warn us that we need to change our usernames.

2. I can"t send my ETA to my wife without entering a phone number. I can find nothing on you site telling me what you will do with that phone number. The text on the screen implies that it is to help find friends. But I don't want to find friends on Waze. I just want to send an ETA to my wife.

I will stop using Waze now, if I don't see an update that fixes these mistakes in the next two months the software will be removed from my phone.

What a pity the product had to be destroyed like this.
TheSharkThatAteSnuffy

Postby sketch » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:53 am

@jp_hill / @atradem0:

The phone number doesn't have to be the same as the device you're using it on. You can enter the phone number for your phone, receive a message, and enter the code.

The phone number is similar to the verification that Google asks you to do with your Google (Gmail, etc.) account. It's also used in Waze to add friends – anyone with you in their phonebook/contacts can request to add you on Waze, and you can add anyone you have in your phonebook/contacts on Waze.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby atradem0 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:21 am

Would like an option to opt-out of providing a cell number. I have an iPad without a calling plan, and this means I can no longer send a "message" to my family about my ETA. Waze does not need a access to a cellphone...provide option for bypassing this (intrusive) requirement.
atradem0

Postby Rprei » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:10 am

Bring back nicknames! I don't want to use my login name for everyone to see. WTH? Now I have to change my password to something much stronger so no one can see I am on vacation or possibly out of town if they hack it

Also the send locations is more cumbersome now. I just want to text a location. Now it is an extra click or two. How do I add a friend to the box and keep it there as a frequently used contact instead of it having to search my contacts each time. Now that would be a worthwhile feature
Rprei

Postby jp_hill » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:27 am

If you own an iPad with LTE you cannot use the new "social" features - you won't have SMS.
I downloaded TEXTFREE for IOS from the App Store. This gives you a free phone number and the ability to connect to Waze to get the code number.
Without this workaround Waze has locked a lot of people out.
jp_hill

Postby sketch » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:17 pm

papok wrote:The icon for "Keep Left" suggest a slight turn to the left rather than moving to the left line.

Papo.

It's worse when used to mean "stay in the left lanes", but it's better when used to mean "stay to the left at the fork", and the corresponding right side icon is better for "exit right".

IMO the new one is better more often. I think it's also easier to recognize at a glance. I understand what you mean though.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Dogadaner » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:18 pm

I can not login It recursively wants that I login and doesn't take my pre name and sure name. When I want to go back to the main screen I end up with the "update your wazer" message. So I can't use the App anymore (iPhone4S iOS 7.1.1) with my account, only with a random wazer.
Dogadaner

Postby Dave2084 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:11 pm

Nice to see Railways and runways on the map finally after all these years ...

Such a shame Waze couldn't see fit to update all the Colour Schemes and only did the default one.

And sadly ...

No improvements in speed cam captions blocking the map
No improvements in landscape layout
Don't even get me started on the new TTS roundabout functionality!
Dave2084
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:30 pm

RTPeat wrote:
RangeRoverHSE wrote:Some of the members in our community has noticed that they lost the TTS voices in the selection using iOs. Curious if anyone who has upgraded has experienced this :?:

Yes, can confirm that after the upgrade my UK voices now do not read out street names. Initially Daniel lost TTS but Serena still could, after a reinstall they now both do not read out street names.

There were issues during testing with TTS they hoped to have solved before release. It would appear that not all the bugs were ironed out. It's gotten better, but this version does request significantly more data from the TTS servers, and that could be part of the problem.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby RTPeat » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:42 pm

RangeRoverHSE wrote:Some of the members in our community has noticed that they lost the TTS voices in the selection using iOs. Curious if anyone who has upgraded has experienced this :?:

Yes, can confirm that after the upgrade my UK voices now do not read out street names. Initially Daniel lost TTS but Serena still could, after a reinstall they now both do not read out street names.
RTPeat

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App