iOS 3.8.0 Feedback Thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: iOS 3.8.0 Official Feedback Thread

Postby ninja98r » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:42 pm

Can anyone confirm if Appradio scrolling issues have been resolved with 3.8.0? Or any other comparability issues for the Pioneer Appradio 3.
ninja98r

Postby dmcconachie » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:22 pm

caltech wrote:Privacy at risk !!!

In this version, with no warning, it seems that a huge change in privacy occurred for waze on IOS.
When you want to share your position with your family, not only you are now asked to enter and verify your phone number (for what reason if we don't need to), but you NEED to share your contacts... What is the real intent behind that obligation?

Would that be the new Google touch kicking in ? :o

Not acceptable, reversing to 3.7.8 immediately until this is fixed !!
In parallel, searching for alternatives, as I feel now very much uncomfortable with a good product in no so good hands apparently...

I urge anybody to think twice before to share all of this for that purpose...

It's for friend-matching. Put your tinfoil hat away!
dmcconachie

Postby caltech » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:20 pm

Privacy at risk !!!

In this version, with no warning, it seems that a huge change in privacy occurred for waze on IOS.
When you want to share your position with your family, not only you are now asked to enter and verify your phone number (for what reason if we don't need to), but you NEED to share your contacts... What is the real intent behind that obligation?

Would that be the new Google touch kicking in ? :o

Not acceptable, reversing to 3.7.8 immediately until this is fixed !!
In parallel, searching for alternatives, as I feel now very much uncomfortable with a good product in no so good hands apparently...

I urge anybody to think twice before to share all of this for that purpose...
caltech

Postby Yankee_Girl » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:55 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
Yankee_Girl wrote:Does anyone know how to get the Siri voice back? My Waze app is set to "Samantha US" since I installed it about a year ago and until this update, he voice I heard was Siri. As of today (first day after the update) I have a different voice and do not seem to be able to change it back. The new voice is very annoying (to my ears at least ;) ) so any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Waze has never used Siri because Apple doesn't allow it. Previous version had Samantha and Tom for TTS voices. There are other voices which do not give street names though. You can choose any of those. But again, Siri was never one of them.

Hi Alan,

Call me crazy but I know it was the same voice that answers me from my iPhone in other apps/tasks, whatever the name, and now that is not working anymore. So if Samantha from Waze did not change voice, something else happened. Am I the only one that experiences this? I really would like to revert back to the old voice.
Yankee_Girl

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:45 pm

sketch wrote:I agree with some other posters that the final instruction comes too late, far too late at freeway speeds.

My experience has been the opposite: freeway speeds announcements seem just fine but surface street announcements are way too early for the final instruction.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:44 pm

Yankee_Girl wrote:Does anyone know how to get the Siri voice back? My Waze app is set to "Samantha US" since I installed it about a year ago and until this update, he voice I heard was Siri. As of today (first day after the update) I have a different voice and do not seem to be able to change it back. The new voice is very annoying (to my ears at least ;) ) so any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Waze has never used Siri because Apple doesn't allow it. Previous version had Samantha and Tom for TTS voices. There are other voices which do not give street names though. You can choose any of those. But again, Siri was never one of them.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Yankee_Girl » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Does anyone know how to get the Siri voice back? My Waze app is set to "Samantha US" since I installed it about a year ago and until this update, he voice I heard was Siri. As of today (first day after the update) I have a different voice and do not seem to be able to change it back. The new voice is very annoying (to my ears at least ;) ) so any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Yankee_Girl

Postby sketch » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:00 pm

I agree with some other posters that the final instruction comes too late, far too late at freeway speeds.

It only says "arriving at destination" instead of "arriving at home etc" because of the same TTS problem that plagues street names, at least if this wasn't changed from beta. Waze tries to get the string "arriving at McDonalds" or whatever, and when it fails, it's replaced with the general instruction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:53 pm

ply8808 wrote:It appears that Samantha has preference to right turns only, at each right turn the prompts were voiced, "in 4.3 miles turn right", "in half mile turn right", "in quarter mile turn right", "turn right", No street names given.

After several drives, the TTS is getting better, but I'm getting the ridiculously long distance for the next turn (1.1 miles was the one I noticed this morning) and then not another announcement until it's time to turn. After the 2 or 3 minutes it took to travel the 1.1 miles, I've forgotten about the next turn and the next turn instruction comes right when it's time to turn.

Before, the turn announcement was given a few seconds earlier. Now, it's almost too late if you're moving at 30 MPH.
jasonh300

Postby ply8808 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:30 pm

ply8808 wrote:When first loading new version I had to use my user name verses nickname, other than that there were no issues.
Yesterday morning navigational route gave no street names (using Samantha USA)
Yesterday evening navigational route gave one street name, same route as above in reverse.
This morning received 3 street names on same route as above.
Appears they are slowly filling up the cache.

A follow up and addition to this information:
After clearing the tts cache I can confirm what sketch mentioned and lost all street names on the same route listed above, but in doing so I found another issue that may be related to what was not being announced.
It appears that Samantha has preference to right turns only, at each right turn the prompts were voiced, "in 4.3 miles turn right", "in half mile turn right", "in quarter mile turn right", "turn right", No street names given.
But Samantha was eerily silent about any left turns, nothing at all, the route and turn instructions were displayed but no voice commands.
The "arrive at home, and address" are replaced with "arriving at destination", that seems okay for privacy reasons.
A different route last night was through a roundabout, no instructions at all were given.
Also no left turns, although I did receive the proper prompts for "keep left" on a freeway split.
No exit commands from the freeway to ramps.
Did receive a couple "turn right, then turn left" prompts, but no distances or times.
To test the left turn issue I veered from the route by making a left turn, waze recalculated and Samantha gave me two turn right commands but no left to get back on course.
Not sure if this is exclusion to my phone but want to put it out there as something to watch for and confirm if others are seeing the same issues.
ply8808
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App