iOS 3.8.0 Feedback Thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: iOS 3.8.0 Official Feedback Thread

Postby Old_Suby » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:43 am

Apologies if this has been covered already, or if this is the wrong venue for feedback, but Shark's email below pretty much summed up my feelings.
I've only used Waze for few months, but have grown to really appreciate it, and I go to great pains to participate enthusiastically.
However, this update sucks for me, and kills one of the main functions of Waze for me. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to share a drive now, I can only seem to do so to a contact's phone via SMS. This is dumb. Granted, the old method of typing an email address in was probably dangerous and/or technically illegal in some states. But I just want to share my drive with my wife and my mom, who both have dumb phones. (My mom is elderly, and doesn't even have SMS). Before, I would simply email them the link, they would click on it, and everything was fine. Now, only my wife will get the SMS, which then goes nowhere. Unless she wants to painstakingly transcribe the link by hand (dumb and tiresome) into a browser (she will not do this), then the sharing function has effectively died for me.

As a workaround, I tried setting up another contact of her with ONLY an email address, but Waze does not recognize it.

The IDEAL fix would be if you can share a drive with a contact using EITHER their phone no. (SMS) OR their email, then have that saved as a favorite, or at least preserved in "Recent" so you can send people emails again quickly.

Another point about privacy. As Google, with all due respect, is not exactly a company to be necessarily trusted these days, it frankly creeps me out giving Waze access to all my contacts. I did it, but I didn't like it at all. (I can't wait for the day I accidentally text some drive to my boss or a sleeping business contact overseas.)

This update gives less functionality to the user, as well as less control over sharing.
Definitely a big step back, in my opinion.

The other lesson I learned is to WAIT and READ reviews before you update. Wish I could go back now.

Respectfully,

Duke

TheSharkThatAteSnuffy wrote:I have been using Waze for several years and have recommended it to many people, but this update makes me think that Waze has finally Jumped The Shark.

1. I now find that my actual username is being displayed on the map instead of a nickname! Did nobody at a Waze think that they should warn the users that this major change in privacy was happening? If you are going to start displaying personal information on a public map you should warn us that we need to change our usernames.

2. I can"t send my ETA to my wife without entering a phone number. I can find nothing on you site telling me what you will do with that phone number. The text on the screen implies that it is to help find friends. But I don't want to find friends on Waze. I just want to send an ETA to my wife.

I will stop using Waze now, if I don't see an update that fixes these mistakes in the next two months the software will be removed from my phone.

What a pity the product had to be destroyed like this.
Old_Suby

Postby caltech » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:22 am

dmcconachie wrote:
caltech wrote:Privacy at risk !!!

In this version, with no warning, it seems that a huge change in privacy occurred for waze on IOS.
When you want to share your position with your family, not only you are now asked to enter and verify your phone number (for what reason if we don't need to), but you NEED to share your contacts... What is the real intent behind that obligation?

Would that be the new Google touch kicking in ? :o

Not acceptable, reversing to 3.7.8 immediately until this is fixed !!
In parallel, searching for alternatives, as I feel now very much uncomfortable with a good product in no so good hands apparently...

I urge anybody to think twice before to share all of this for that purpose...

It's for friend-matching. Put your tinfoil hat away!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I understand, but if it was only for friend-matching, why then would they ask for sharing all your contacts and make that MANDATORY. If you want to share, fine, if you don't, why take away the function that was working in the 3.7 without sharing it... See my point ? :)
caltech

Re: iOS 3.8.0 Feedback Thread

Postby bz2012 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:07 am

words from 'support'
I was discussing a problem with support and said:
Currently much more concerned with the MAJOR problems with the new IOS release.
See the ongoing discussion:
https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=96661
I hope SOMEONE at headquarters is reading the thread!!!!

SUPPORT REPLIED:
We are reading all the feedbacks and also managed to reproduce most of them (like direction heard too early or late - after the turn), missing some alerts (meters alerts), missing some street names alerts etc.. we're working to fix all these bugs and will release them in the new fixed version (3.8.1).
About the BT sound, we'll try to reproduce it.
If you have more feedback about the TTS (other than what I mentioned: missing meters alerts, Last minute turn alert / heard the alert after the turn, missing some street names, Double roundabouts causing some TTS issues) please let me know.

I told support that it would be reassuring if someone 'official' would post such information here.
Support said they couldn't do that but they gave me permission to post a quote.

It IS good to know that they ARE reading this, isn't it???? :)
Last edited by bz2012 on Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
State Manager, Louisiana
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby vince1612 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:17 am

It seems like the "Friend pick-up" (wiki link) feature is gone in this version.

Is that because it is now replaced with how people can send locations to other friends inside the App ?

The thing is usually when I pick-up a friend it's because they don't have a car or driver's license, so they also often have no use for a GPS app, even if it's cool and free.

That feature was very useful for those who didn't have Waze because they could share their location with you by clicking a link in the SMS you sent them.
It sounds more simple to me than now having to explain to them which App to download, then where to click in the app to send you their location etc...

I hope it will be back, its was one of the main "cool features" I was usually telling friends about when I was recommending the app to them.

P.S. - Before anyone jumps on me with URLs and thunder & lightning. I did try to search the forums a bit on this pick-up topic, but if it was ever discussed anywhere before the update I did not find it so forgive me for bringing it up here now.
Wiki & Forum : Wiki CH (D) (FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby georgeoftaylors » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:48 am

I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this problem with alternate routes?
When I select the map view of additional routes, the map automatically zooms so far in that you can't see the routes. If you scroll out, it will display the routes temporarily until you take your finger off the screen, then it auto zooms too far in again. Trying to email tech support about this but couldn't get the link to work .
Thanks
georgeoftaylors

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:55 pm

vince1612 wrote:It seems like the "Friend pick-up" (wiki link) feature is gone in this version.

Is that because it is now replaced with how people can send locations to other friends inside the App ?

It will return in v3.9. There were issues with the feature.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby vince1612 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:57 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:It will return in v3.9. There were issues with the feature.

Ah awesome! Thanks for the info :)
Wiki & Forum : Wiki CH (D) (FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby brewbyte » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:58 pm

kingzut wrote:i would like to not share my contacts to be able to send a location/drive...

even if waze does not plan on addressing this or some global champ strenuously disagrees, can someone at least say if waze is even aware of this complaint?

click to share:

IMG_1305.PNG

here's what you see

IMG_1306.PNG

no thank-you.

I can't get past this point as Waze is not showing up in Settings ==> Privacy ==> Contacts. Can't figure out what's going on.
brewbyte

Postby NorfolkMustard » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:04 pm

You only get the "Hold up" screen if you've already disallowed waze access to your contacts, or you perhaps have a Settings > General > Restrictions > Privacy in place to disallow changes to your contact sharing.
Stu
Local Champ: England wiki | Australia wiki
iOS
NorfolkMustard
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:06 pm

brewbyte wrote:I can't get past this point as Waze is not showing up in Settings ==> Privacy ==> Contacts. Can't figure out what's going on.

Sounds like Waze has not requested to access your contacts yet. What happens when you tap the Friends icon on the main screen, then tap the Add Friends icon at the top right?
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App