Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by ply8808
When first loading new version I had to use my user name verses nickname, other than that there were no issues.
Yesterday morning navigational route gave no street names (using Samantha USA)
Yesterday evening navigational route gave one street name, same route as above in reverse.
This morning received 3 street names on same route as above.
Appears they are slowly filling up the cache.
ply8808
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Global Champ
Local Champ - USA
HD riding wazer, Arizona.
iPhone 7, iOS 13.3.1

Post by ply8808
turboluis wrote:you need to look up the definition of of the word "spamming", so far i am the only that has offered any useful advice. now that i reverted to the previous version, my problem has been solved. i don't see any one else making the same claim. and as for the developers, it is clear that they never read these forums or interact with users. every problem i have ever had, i had to fix on my own because no one on these forums was capable of helping.
:cry:
There are some of us that want to be a part of the solution to the issues on the new version, your advise is for those that chose to opt out of the continued discussion of the implementation and only needed to be posted once on this thread.
Please be considerate of the others.
ply8808
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Global Champ
Local Champ - USA
iPhone 7, iOS 13.3.1

Post by ply8808
ply8808 wrote:When first loading new version I had to use my user name verses nickname, other than that there were no issues.
Yesterday morning navigational route gave no street names (using Samantha USA)
Yesterday evening navigational route gave one street name, same route as above in reverse.
This morning received 3 street names on same route as above.
Appears they are slowly filling up the cache.
A follow up and addition to this information:
After clearing the tts cache I can confirm what sketch mentioned and lost all street names on the same route listed above, but in doing so I found another issue that may be related to what was not being announced.
It appears that Samantha has preference to right turns only, at each right turn the prompts were voiced, "in 4.3 miles turn right", "in half mile turn right", "in quarter mile turn right", "turn right", No street names given.
But Samantha was eerily silent about any left turns, nothing at all, the route and turn instructions were displayed but no voice commands.
The "arrive at home, and address" are replaced with "arriving at destination", that seems okay for privacy reasons.
A different route last night was through a roundabout, no instructions at all were given.
Also no left turns, although I did receive the proper prompts for "keep left" on a freeway split.
No exit commands from the freeway to ramps.
Did receive a couple "turn right, then turn left" prompts, but no distances or times.
To test the left turn issue I veered from the route by making a left turn, waze recalculated and Samantha gave me two turn right commands but no left to get back on course.
Not sure if this is exclusion to my phone but want to put it out there as something to watch for and confirm if others are seeing the same issues.
ply8808
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Global Champ
Local Champ - USA
iPhone 7, iOS 13.3.1

Post by ply8808
Although street names are still not coming in the command prompts are great, especially the (next instructional prompt), where I was only receiving a "turn left, then turn left", I am now receiving an additional prompt after the first left that instructs "in a quarter mile, turn left".
Once the TTS issues are resolved I feel this will be a good upgrade with room for some tweaking of features, one step at a time as they say.
As to the social features (IMO), waze is a community based app, "outsmarting traffic together", it uses crowd sourcing and live traffic info from monitoring your travels and manual input so the sharing is already a choice we make, that is what makes the app special.
When choosing to share a drive I find it best to enter the sharing individuals prior to starting the drive, (not in route), so the few extra clicks are not an issue and the ability to view the route of someone who shared carries benefits as you can see their progress or lack of, in real time.
And finally the opportunity to post here and add comments and participate in discussions is also part of that social aspect.
ply8808
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Global Champ
Local Champ - USA
iPhone 7, iOS 13.3.1

Post by Proggie
Sharing drive has problems. Sometimes when the user is sharing the drive, their avatar doesn't update unless you manually refresh the map by zooming in and dragging around the map. Other times the user's route just suddenly disappears and you can't see them on them map anymore, even though they're still showing up on the regular waze map.
Proggie
Send a message

Post by RangeRoverHSE
Some of the members in our community has noticed that they lost the TTS voices in the selection using iOs. Curious if anyone who has upgraded has experienced this :?:
RangeRoverHSE
Send a message

Post by redvers76
TheSharkThatAteSnuffy wrote:I have been using Waze for several years and have recommended it to many people, but this update makes me think that Waze has finally Jumped The Shark.

1. I now find that my actual username is being displayed on the map instead of a nickname! Did nobody at a Waze think that they should warn the users that this major change in privacy was happening? If you are going to start displaying personal information on a public map you should warn us that we need to change our usernames.

2. I can"t send my ETA to my wife without entering a phone number. I can find nothing on you site telling me what you will do with that phone number. The text on the screen implies that it is to help find friends. But I don't want to find friends on Waze. I just want to send an ETA to my wife.

I will stop using Waze now, if I don't see an update that fixes these mistakes in the next two months the software will be removed from my phone.

What a pity the product had to be destroyed like this.

This echoes what I was going to write, so have quoted it instead. I'm slightly less precious about my own mobile number, so entered & verified it in the hope of then being able to send my ETA. Nope.

Once you enter your mobile number, you have to share your contact book. NO WAY!

Just because someone is in my contact book does not mean I want Waze to spam them. It does not mean I want to even connect to them socially. Has no-one considered the possibility that someone with an abusive ex may have them in a contact book, so that they can block the number?

Heaven forbid someone gets traced by an abusive ex partner thanks to this new "feature" - Waze would be in the news for all the wrong reasons! Top new tool for stalkers!

Here's how it should work :

As it did in 3.7.8!!
redvers76
Send a message

Post by redvers76
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
redvers76 wrote:Here's how it should work :

As it did in 3.7.8!!
That means no ability to friend people outside of facebook. And you still are not required to share contacts with Waze to send a text with your drive to someone.
Waze knows who is a user based on email addresses. *If* I want to search for friends from my address book, at that point in time I say "look through my address book for other Waze users" - at no other point should giving Waze contact book access be required.

I'm guessing you already share your contact book with Waze? Try blocking it and sharing your drive. As soon as you press the share button, it asks for your mobile number (if you haven't already given it). Give them your mobile number and it then asks to access your contact book.

So yes, you *are* require to share contacts with Waze to send a text with your drive to someone.
redvers76
Send a message

Post by redvers76
There are a large number of scenarios that have either not been thought about, or are being deliberately ignored.

The assumption that everyone in your contact book is someone you want to be "friends" with, and potentially share location with, is incredibly naive, and very stupid.

I haven't shared my contact book, but if I have put my number in to the app and verified it. Does that mean anyone with my number in *their* contact book can add me as a "friend" without any further action from myself?
redvers76
Send a message

Post by redvers76
NorfolkMustard wrote:They will see you as a "Suggested friend" and they can then request your approval to add as a mutual friend. You see it as a friend request in the app.
Well at least one of the scenarios I posited earlier cannot happen (a stalker adding you without your knowledge)
redvers76
Send a message