[Page Update] Junction Style Guide

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Page Update] Junction Style Guide

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:09 am

CBenson wrote:It can be disconcerting to have the next instruction be for an exit a couple of states away and 10 hours away.

I have always agreed this is a problem. This is where the freaking "continue" instruction that ALL the other navigation systems provide has us beat. Such a simple instruction. Hopefully we can fix that with Junction Boxes! :mrgreen:
CBenson wrote:Thus, you can have the next exit be on a different highway with a different numbering scheme.

This is a major sore spot for me. We have these a LOT in Northern CA where one freeway simply connects to another and ends.
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:07 am

We need to be clear in the Wiki how to interpret the "To..." element
In this location of Fremont, CA, Mission Blvd is a short 1 mile segment that links between I-880 and I-680. From I-880 you see:
To_I-680.png
(264.88 KiB) Downloaded 546 times

1. "Mission Blvd" is the road you are about to exit upon. It also happens to be SR-238, but this sign does not note that.
2. "Sacramento" not the target city for Mission Blvd, but it is actually for I-680 N.
3. "To I-680" is one mile up Mission Blvd.

In this case the "To..." is actually related to both I-680 and Sacramento. If you stay on Mission Blvd, you end up in Oakland, not Sacramento.

I currently have the exit for this segment entered as "Exit 12A: Mission Blvd / to I-680 / Sacramento"

PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:57 pm

I have supported the Wayfinder in place of Continue straight instructions in many bay area and northern CA freeways.

When I hear a keep left or keep right, I look at the upcoming signs and determine how many lanes are going left and how many are going right to determine where I need to be. I rarely go fully left or fully right. If I see that all left lanes are going to the same place, I don't do anything if I am not fully to the left.

I have never considered a keep left instruction to be a "joke" from my navigation, but to be told to take exit 423 when the exit I just passed is 5 is completely misleading.

Clearly we need "Continue Straight" and have needed it for more than 3 years. Every other nav application I have used includes a continue straight for this same purpose. Have we ever heard why Waze has not added this commonly requested feature?

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:33 pm

In another thread I am proposing that all the recently nominated pages for Wazopedia be copied from any current US- or NA-centric pages and then move the page and its history to a USA subpage for now while we wait on the new Wazopedia servers. This will enable us to continue to update pages that are US-centric without impacting the global pages (which will need to get any country specific content purged).

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:37 pm

jondrush wrote:In my experience, having the junction at the mandatory split will yield a voice prompt that is too late. You would have to jerk the steering wheel to get over to the ramp if you waited for it.

I don't think I have the same experience. I get notifications a long distance in advance of the actual junction. Just like a turn at a corner. You get a 1/2 mile warning, then x feet, then y feet, then turn now. I get the same thing on the splits. I am pretty certain that is how we set up all the bay area freeways 3 years ago. I thought that was what we had in the guide for the US, unless I misunderstood back then or it has changed since then.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:07 am

At one time Sketch was doing a bunch of changes to JSG and there were many subpages created with works in progress last year. I lost track of where they went in their progress to get merged back together in a new page.

Is anyone currently spearheading the main JSG?

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:44 am

If it is different in different countries then yes. I was only speaking of the current page that has had all this material since I was working on it 2 years ago. If we need to split a US-centric version now, that is no problem.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:14 pm

I am iOS.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:36 pm

Jon, are we talking about the same thing? I have multiple alerts in advance of the actual turn (or exit). Just like approaching a corner, I have alerts and voice prompts telling me a turn is coming. I have never had to do anything drastic to turn or exit when the junction point is placed at the legal solid while line divider for splits/exits, or at the actual corner junction of a road.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:10 pm

I will pay specific attention to it tonight on the way home just in case I have not been paying enough attention. ;)

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion