Post by PealRinger
fieldenm wrote:Garden Centre is missing
+1
PealRinger
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator
Send a message

Post by PealRinger
What format should be used for phone numbers on UK places?
National/International? Spaced/unspaced?
  • +441483 123456
  • +441483123456
  • 01483 123456
  • (01483) 123456
PealRinger
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator
Send a message

Post by PealRinger
Dave2084 wrote:Waze finally came back to me recently and confirmed that they would NOT be adding any additional place categories as discussed at the UK Meet. :-(
Boo.

However, they have added 'Parking for customers' as a service for each place which we did ask for. :D
Perhaps we tick this and start to remove all those customer car parks that seem to be springing up everywhere but shouldn't actually be mapped as not public car parks.
PealRinger
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator
Send a message

Post by PealRinger
elljay23 wrote:The guidelines on what photos are acceptable might be a bit of an issue - no faces, car licence plates etc. I didn't spot any guidance in the client other than "Show the exterior of this place, so Wazers can easily spot it when they arrive".

So I guess the blurry steering wheels, cats curled in baskets, green BT phone cabinets, rubbish bins, are gonna get rejected... ;)
Judging by the number of photos I've seen this evening that are taken from inside the car :( through a wet windscreen :o in the dark :shock: I think some better instructions for users are definitely needed in the client.
PealRinger
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
I'll stick my 2 Northern Irish pence in for this one once I've got my broadband back or when exams finish... Thinking though that we should probably use the UK style and not copy the US. We do tend to use places differently...

Level 5 Area Manager - North of Ireland
Tapatalk on iPhone
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
Ok, so the way I am seeing this from my wee point of view in my wee country is this;

Areas:
These would be used, as stated, for the likes of a shopping center/forest park/big huge things and would include the entire complex including the car parks. The navigable point would be placed at the entrance, or the main entrance if there are a few less used or not preferred entrances. You wouldn't draw in the car park as an area within this, as (almost) everyone knows that these places have a car park and the car park is generally for the use of those using that 'Area' and not for public parking. The user then can't complain that they haven't been routed to where they want to go and can park as close to which ever bit of the 'Area' they want. Including parking lot roads in and out should be added to.. blah blah as already stated.

The exception to that would be Public car parks, as provided for public parking in town centers by councils and roads service DRD (or whatever they are called on the big island), these would be mapped as an area in their own right as we already do.

This is just an address database, a bit like house numbers but with the added info of what is at that point and what service is provided. I am guessing that Waze has added this so they can possibly move away from using the slightly dodgy external searches for business and other premises. adding these points within an area would allow users to find said business and navigate to it, the area that it is in would provide more accurate routing due to the layer nature of the system, ie. they'd get to the car park, and possibly the closest part of the car park road, and not the lane round the back.

So in summary: don't add parking lots to areas, do add basic parking lot roads. Add points with full details, but don't put them on the closest road.

I know I've just reiterated what others have said, but it just seems common sense. Only time will tell how best to work this system and a few test sites will need drawn up and tested.

you may now tell me to shut up, etc :lol:
Pip
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
TonyG-UK wrote:I'm at a loss with Searching for POIs within the client (I'm using the beta client currently, BTW), the whole concept of destination Categories has been removed, and searching for Places names as a destination, it's pretty clear that they are not being searched for, making this whole concept pretty useless.
It may be possible that the POI database is not yet searchable so useless at present, probably need someone from HQ to answer this conundrum. There may also be no population of the DB yet as the system is pretty new and there is nothing to populate it with.
Superfraggle wrote:But aren't the parking lots also used to suppress map problems and alleys etc?
I'm pretty sure it's Parking Lot Roads that are used to suppress erroneous reports and errors. Could be wrong though.

Pip
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
I'd agree with it being pointless a slightly different implementation would better, we don't need a navigable point for a lake, or a river. Having different classes of area would be better, pretty map and navigable map. Putting the points on the road if they aren't in an area but on the shop if they are is a strange way to do it.

Also agree with it being a stupid amount of work, but saying that I've started a few places just to see how it works. Will be interesting to see how the layered areas thing actually works.

Do we have any solid directions on how to proceed yet?

Pop

Tapatalk on iPhone
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
Localisation of the keywords would be the perfect way to go, then we could dispense with a lot of the categories as the language used would make an awful lot more sense. For instance, we in the British Isles don't use Kindergarden or Movie Theatre. And Dave, newsagents is there, it's just called convenience store instead.

Missing is places like playground, playing fields, fishing lake... Far too many to list, adjusting the language used would slim the list considerably and make it infinitely more useful. This would be difficult, very difficult so we need to sort what we have and what they do actually cover, is a sport stadium/arena the same thing as Partake Thistles home ground?

Tapatalk on iPhone
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
NorfolkMustard wrote:Pip (et al) change to UK english editor and you'll get better names

https://www.waze.com/en-GB/editor/

Movie Theatre = Cinema
Kindergarten = Playgroup / Nursery
Gas Station = Petrol Station
Parking Lot = Car Park
Sorry I just pulled that from the wiki

Tapatalk on iPhone
seriousarsonist
Send a message