The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

UK Road Labeling

Post by fehners
Edited to show the current suggestion for road labeling

"Freeway" - "Proper" motorway.
"Major Highway" - Dual carriageway A-Roads which have limited access (ramps).
"Minor Highway" - Single carriageway, urban A-Roads, or dual carriageway roads without ramps (e.g. Bushy Road in Wimbledon, or Euston Road in Central London, also rural B-Roads.
"Primary Street" - urban B-Roads, other roads carrying heavier traffic in rural areas.

------------------------------------------------------

Currently the pre-defined road types don't fit with UK road types, so I wondered what other people were doing in the UK.

Currently I do the following:

Freeway -> Motorway
Major Highway -> Large A road/Dual carrage like A27 A23 etc
Minor Highway -> Smaller single lane A roads like A273
Primary Streets -> B Roads
Streets -> Local Roads

What is the consensus on UK road types?
fehners

POSTER_ID:71039

Send a message
Last edited by fehners on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by ahartley
Sorry to butt in on this thread - I am sure I will need this info later.

I have only just started to use Waze yesterday and have been trying to label some local roads without any success. I have spent the last couple of hours looking through the hugely haphazard support pages but cannot find a step by step description that works. I have tried to label a 'street' but it asks for a name and a city. City really has little meaning out in the sticks and if I enter my village I get unauthorised to add. The 'help' screen displays also seem out of step with the latest iPhone version.

Thanks.
ahartley
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The Wiki does has recommendations for road naming conventions in Waze.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by Feathers44
Hmmm. That looks a little different to what's been done around me.

We have the A3 as a Major Highway (3 lanes, a motorway in all but name) but at the moment A and B roads are all Primary Roads.

I don't disagree with your method, actually I quite like it and will probably use it locally, but I can see a lot of tweaking being required if we're going to get the country to be consistent.
Feathers44
Send a message

Post by Feathers44
I started off with fairly fixed views on this but, given the local road network, am rapidly backing away from them. To say all A roads in town should be Minor Highways won't work.

For comparison, here we have the A3 as a three lane monstrosity crossing the A238 which is a 'normal' road running round the one way system through the middle of town. Heck, it's London, everything is the middle of town! I think we just need to use what works in the area.

If we really need to separate things out I now think it needs to be done on the type of roads we're dealing with, not the A, B or C designation.
Feathers44
Send a message

Post by Feathers44
The problem is that Minor Highways have certain attributes of display that are unhelpful e.g. they won't display a separator line if the box is ticked. They seem to be setup to assume single carriageway use so where you have an ordinary road with a central barrier, you can't show that on the map with anything grander than a Primary Street. The highway are also incredibly thickly drawn for centre of town use.

I haven't tried yet but do Blvd. and the other US suffix selections make any difference to the display that we could use? That would be really helpful...
Feathers44
Send a message

Post by Feathers44
I'd agree with that. Some A roads qualify as Major (A3 through SW London is three lane but 50mph with access via ramps) but I also think most others are Minor (A309 - lots of roundabouts but still two lanes each way).

I suspect this may settle out over time.
Feathers44
Send a message

Post by Feathers44
robin1979 wrote:
Feathers44 wrote:I'd agree with that. Some A roads qualify as Major (A3 through SW London is three lane but 50mph with access via ramps) but I also think most others are Minor (A309 - lots of roundabouts but still two lanes each way).
Are they both the same speedlimit?
That's a good question. I don't know. But then the A3 itself isn't the same speed limit along its entire length. The London section is 50mph but further out it goes back up to 70.
Feathers44
Send a message

Post by Feathers44
I think that works. I'm sure there will be quibbles over specific bits of road (A309 round to Esher springs to mind ;)) but overall it looks good as top level guidance.
Feathers44
Send a message

Post by fehners
zzyzxuk wrote:OK - is there any chance of getting any official guidance from Waze on this then?
Waze guys? Any thoughts?
Seconded...

If as Robin says speed is taken from actively monitoring roads and labeling is merely for visual appearance on the maps, then we can apply road types more generaly based on the name of the road rather than having to go through questions such as, is it in a city, is the speed limited to 30 mph, does it have stops.
We could just stick to A roads are major b roads minor, M roads are freeways in this case ... This would seem a better way without having to disect one road into several parts of differing types
fehners
Send a message
Haywards Heath, UK, Area Manager