Bad Traffic ≠ An Accident

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Bad Traffic ≠ An Accident

Postby ChrisMD123 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:23 am

This is partially a complaint directed at my fellow Wazers and partially a suggestion/data analysis conundrum for the developers. It might be a feature request, but since it's more than that I'm putting it in the main forum. Moderators, free to disagree and move it.

It seems to be human nature, at least everywhere I've lived in the States, to say, "Ooh, bad traffic. Must be an accident." In Waze, this turns into thirty people reporting accidents when they're actually just sitting in bad traffic.

Most bad traffic is just that: bad traffic. Some moron was driving 40 MPH in the passing lane an hour ago, and thanks to breaking laminar flow he or she has caused a full traffic stoppage.

The Waze app should be clear: unless you can actually see the accident, do not report an accident.

On the developers' side, it would be interesting to try and puzzle out the real accidents from the data. Get a dataset of reported accidents and find a way to filter it to confirmed accidents. Then, look at the relationship between the submissions and the false alarms.

Complicated; maybe impossible. Sounds like a fun challenge.
ChrisMD123

Re: Bad Traffic ≠ An Accident

Postby felohidalgo » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:07 am

There is already in Waze such system, basically if you report something and some others drive through it and no one give you a Thumb up, then you will "lose" trust, and your reports won't be taken so serious next time.
Felipe Hidalgo
Coordinador Costa Rica

WIKI COSTA RICA
EDITOR DE MAPAS
PUBLICIDAD EN WAZE
felohidalgo
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby MattPSU79 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:41 pm

felohidalgo wrote:There is already in Waze such system, basically if you report something and some others drive through it and no one give you a Thumb up, then you will "lose" trust, and your reports won't be taken so serious next time.

I'm new...is there some sort of built in reputation to waze? If that is indeed how the system works, seems like it needs some improvement...because it would be penalizing users for reporting incidents on infrequently traveled or rural routes. I don't like the idea that I could be penalized in some way because I reported a legitimate incident/hazard whjch is already cleared by the time the next wazer passes that point.
MattPSU79

Postby felohidalgo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:56 pm

It also depends on more people passing by, if no one else drives by, there is no reason to penalize someone. Don't worry. You are not been punish because of that.
Felipe Hidalgo
Coordinador Costa Rica

WIKI COSTA RICA
EDITOR DE MAPAS
PUBLICIDAD EN WAZE
felohidalgo
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby bobsy852 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:16 am

I feel bad now for not giving everybody a thumbs up to every correct incident I passed last week! :/
bobsy852

Postby felohidalgo » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:47 pm

Next time you give them a thumbs up. That also makes everyone of us feel useful.
Felipe Hidalgo
Coordinador Costa Rica

WIKI COSTA RICA
EDITOR DE MAPAS
PUBLICIDAD EN WAZE
felohidalgo
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby ChrisMD123 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:19 pm

The voting system doesn't solve the problem: Someone ahead reports, "Hey, there's an accident!" Someone else, farther upstream in the traffic, sees that accident report and gives it a thumbs up because they also perceive that "bad traffic must mean there's an accident." Indeed, confirmation bias would suggest that trailing vehicles are more likely to perceive that there was an accident even if they never see one.
ChrisMD123

Postby Edward50095 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:01 am

"Most bad traffic is just that: bad traffic. Some moron was driving 40 MPH in the passing lane an hour ago, and thanks to breaking laminar flow he or she has caused a full traffic stoppage."

Let me guess: You pretty much stay in the left lane don't you? It's a passing lane, not "laminar flow".

The left lane is for passing; move back to the right when you're done. Thanks in advance.
Edward50095

Postby taco909 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:16 am

Edward50095 wrote:"Most bad traffic is just that: bad traffic. Some moron was driving 40 MPH in the passing lane an hour ago, and thanks to breaking laminar flow he or she has caused a full traffic stoppage."

Let me guess: You pretty much stay in the left lane don't you? It's a passing lane, not "laminar flow".

The left lane is for passing; move back to the right when you're done. Thanks in advance.

This is regional.

Yes, slower traffic should move to the right as a common courtesy, but most states do not have an actual law that states that the "fast" lane is only for passing.

In Los Angeles, and other cities where you have 4 lanes, every lane is utilized 100% all day... and the moron doing 40mph in the left lane causes serious issues with normal traffic having to move to the right to pass.
-- Rich
ImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby SwenVandenberk » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:04 am

Strange habit in my opinion. I would assume everybody reports 'accident' at the location where the accident is, not a mile before in a traffic jam. Is this really happening in your region?
Area Manager Vlaanderen
ImageImageImageImageImage
BENELUX Routing Team
SwenVandenberk
Area Manager
Area Manager

Next

Return to Waze App