Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by fehners
robferrer wrote: Edit: I know we shouldn't just copy, but look at what Google (or whoever supplies their mapping) does: Roads change "level" when they reach a city. See the A19 and A59 here
Seems Google also has incosistent markings, look at this map http://maps.google.com/maps?q=51.001380 ... 26157&z=16

The A272 is just a normal road at this point with traffic lights etc and 30mph speed limit yet is still marked the same as it is outside of the town where national speed limit applies!
fehners
Send a message
Haywards Heath, UK, Area Manager

Post by fehners
So to summarise..
So far we have the following labeling for the UK

Freeway -> Motorway
Major Highway -> A roads outside of town
Minor Highway -> A roads inside town/ B roads outside of town
Primary Streets -> B roads inside town
Streets -> Local roads
Ramps -> slip roads onto Motorways and A roads

Is this everything? and is this the correct summary?
fehners
Send a message
Haywards Heath, UK, Area Manager

Post by floppyrod84
You had to revive a 2 year old thread to ask a question? Please post a new one in the UK Forum.

I have already pointed you to the road naming section of the UK wiki, I'd suggest you read that.

Also, as a new editor I don't think it's very clever to mess around with major routes. Raise an Update Request from the client or get in contact with the AM for London, dknight212.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by GordonTGopher
Folks,
I think we need to agree convention for the M25, for the second time my naming (clockwise and anticlockwise) has been changed back to M25, parts seem to have both carridgeways merged..... Can I suggest M25-CW and M25-ACW as someone previously suggested?

Comments?

Gordon
GordonTGopher
Send a message

Post by kieranrawley
The convention that I have been using since starting out with Waze is that of Google. A motorway is obviously the same as a freeway so ends up blue. Dual carriageways with central reservation are major highways. If the road is amber or orange, it's a primary street. If its white, it's a street.

If you have any further suggestions as to the best format, please let me know and I'll adjust as needed.

Kieran
kieranrawley
Send a message
(I'll go for a run when I've got this little bit sorted..........)

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c6/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by krankyd
Hi guys,
this is indeed a delicate issue. We want to keep the waze map up to one global standard, something that will allow us to offer waze across countries, but on the other hand help the mappers of each country work according to something that best describes the road structure in their country.

I'll try to emphasize the importance of each road type:
A freeway is the 'highest' ranking highway of all. This means it will be visible from the furthest zoom level out of all highways, and it will be preferred (by default) over all other highways since waze assumes that it is the fastest and easiest way - unless traffic determines otherways.
As for routing, freeways must be connected through ramps (on and off). Otherwise, routing will not take you to the freeway. This is why you must use freeways only with ramps that lead on and off. If there are junctions in the middle of the highway, this is not a freeway... rather a major highway.

Major highways also appear up to a high zoom level, but as said before they are less demanding then freeways. You are allowed to get on / off major highways with or without ramps, both are allowed. These roads could potentially have stops or junctions every now and then, but for the most part they are wide and stop-less.

Minor highways on the other hand, could have a lot of stops - and have almost only junctions... however, if everynow and then they have ramps, this is fine. For example, when they connect to bigger highways and freeways, they will most likely have ramps.
These roads are usually narrower, and out of the highway types, they will usually be the last option for routing.

As for toll roads - as this issue came up from the italian mappers forum - please keep in mind that each type of the highways could be a toll road. I know this feature is not available right now, but in the near future we hope to add it to the cartouche, and then you would be able to label each highway type as a toll road.
krankyd
Send a message
wazing like a hurricane

Post by rexwickham
I'll update some roads i added.

Rex
rexwickham
Send a message

Post by robferrer
I've been labelling major dual carriageways A-roads as freeways due to the requirement for ramps etc, and based on the information in this: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_ ... name_roads (ie no stops).
robferrer
Send a message

Post by robferrer
fehners wrote:We could just stick to A roads are major b roads minor, M roads are freeways in this case ... This would seem a better way without having to disect one road into several parts of differing types
I'm not sure all A roads should be major. We have a lot of A roads coming into York which are little more than streets (in fact I have been labelling them as Primary Streets). It may get confusing looking at a map thinking that you have a major highway running through the centre of a town.

A lot of B roads are essentially just streets that are out of towns (I think most roads will have a B number?), so again assigning them to be minor highways would not be right.

Can you use ramps on major highways? If so I would definitely suggest dual carriageway A roads are labelled as major highways.

It still needs common sense and local knowledge. There's no way the A roads that come right up to the city walls in York should be major highways!

Edit: I know we shouldn't just copy, but look at what Google (or whoever supplies their mapping) does: Roads change "level" when they reach a city. See the A19 and A59 here
robferrer
Send a message

Post by robferrer
sketch wrote:Ramps are just another type of segment. I have a ramp going from a minor highway to another minor highway, it works just fine. All this talk about "needing ramps to get onto freeways" is, in my experience, blatantly false. You need ramps to get onto freeways because it is the only type of road you should be making to get onto a freeway. If it's a ramp, call it a ramp.
That's great, I'll change the A64 then.
Regarding road naming schemes, it seems the best way to go would be to call A-roads "major highway" when outside of a city and "minor highway" when inside a city, and to call B-roads "minor highway" outside of a city and "primary street" inside of the city. Just because it says "highway" doesn't necessarily mean it has to be one--people don't look at larger lines on GPS maps in a city and think "highway", they think "this is one of the main drags that'll get me there with fewer stops and slightly higher speeds".
That's the point, most of the A roads going into York wouldn't get you there at a higher speed. This is where local knowledge is required and not hard and fast rules (just some guidelines).
robferrer
Send a message