Construction Zones (Road Naming (USA))

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Construction Zones (Road Naming (USA))

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:45 am

Sketch, I read through your changes and decided to revert all of them. :twisted:

:lol: Just kidding.

They look great. Also thanks for correcting the title case on the sections. Many people don't realize we are following the style guide for Wikipedia which says section names should not be title case, only sentence case.

Note that when you change a section name, there may be dependencies on that current name that get broken after you save. You can review all possible links to the page from the "What links here" in the left column of the page after you edit it. Good news is if you miss any links, you still end up on the page, but for large pages like this one, the user is dumped at the top. Not smooth, but hopefully the user recognizes to check the ToC in front of them. I am fixing some of they key ones now.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:49 am

Good tip on the dependencies, thanks, and thanks for fixing them too. I'll keep that in mind in the future.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby qwaletee » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:55 am

You can keep any links to old TOC entries by using an "anchor" when you change the name. Do it as follows

==Old name==
Blah

becomes

==Revised name==
{{Anchor|Old name}}
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby qwaletee » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:55 am

I think the new guidance is good, but we have thousands of roads mapped under the old CONST ZN. Wouldn't it make sense to add it to the supported abbreviations?
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:13 am

qwaletee wrote:You can keep any links to old TOC entries by using an "anchor" when you change the name. Do it as follows

==Old name==
Blah

becomes

==Revised name==
{{Anchor|Old name}}

Actually this is a very good point that is commonly forgotten.

I think I will put in a Wiki Style Guide sticky linking to all the key Wikipedia guidelines we have been following and discussing in the individual threads to make it easy on everyone to find.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:23 am

qwaletee wrote:I think the new guidance is good, but we have thousands of roads mapped under the old CONST ZN. Wouldn't it make sense to add it to the supported abbreviations?

If "adding it to the supported abbreviations" were at all a simple task, it would have been done years ago. But Waze is not receptive to changes in the way TTS works. It took us about a year to get a pause for every slash, and I don't think they've made any changes to TTS since then.

Validator includes a search function now which would allow us to find any "CONST ZN" that needs to be changed. Consistency throughout localities is more important than consistency throughout the country, so it should be sufficient. It's not gonna be a big deal if one city hasn't caught up where another has.

Thanks for the note about anchors; I'll keep that in mind.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby qwaletee » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:17 am

sketch wrote:
qwaletee wrote:I think the new guidance is good, but we have thousands of roads mapped under the old CONST ZN. Wouldn't it make sense to add it to the supported abbreviations?

If "adding it to the supported abbreviations" were at all a simple task, it would have been done years ago. But Waze is not receptive to changes in the way TTS works. It took us about a year to get a pause for every slash, and I don't think they've made any changes to TTS since then.

Validator includes a search function now which would allow us to find any "CONST ZN" that needs to be changed. Consistency throughout localities is more important than consistency throughout the country, so it should be sufficient. It's not gonna be a big deal if one city hasn't caught up where another has.

Thanks for the note about anchors; I'll keep that in mind.

Unfortunately, Validator is only as comprehensive as the viewing/editing habits of those who use it. There are probably hundreds of long-finished road projects that still say CONST ZN because nobody bothered to update them, and there will probably be a similar number that deserve to stay using the new naming. Oh, well. Waze editing is very short on "global tools" like that.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby davielde » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:38 pm

Based on the feedback provided by several Champs in this recent thread here, would anyone object to updating the Major Construction without Closure section to reflect guidance for freeways or other shielded roads?

For example (bold = new):
"When a road is under long-term construction, but is not closed, add "(Construction Zone)" to the end of the name unless it involves a segment with a shielded highway or freeway."
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan
davielde

Postby Fredo-p » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:05 pm

Do shielded roads have any importance? If a shielded road looses its shield, does that have any effect on routing, or is it just for aesthetic reasons?
Fredo-p
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby CBenson » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:59 pm

Depends what you mean by routing. If you mean what routes the routing server returns, it is really difficult to say what has minor effects. I can't imagine that this would have any noticeable effects on the routes that are returned.

If you mean turn instructions then it depends on whether the shielded road is limited access or not. As the name of limited access roads don't show up in turn instructions (rather the ramp names do) changing the name of limited access roads has no effect. If the road is not limited access then the turn instructions that use the name of the road are effected by an change to the name in WME.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion