[New Page/USA] Responding to incorrect edits

Moderator: Unholy

[New Page/USA] Responding to incorrect edits

Postby DwarfLord » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:28 pm

Incorrect edits affect all of us, but there doesn't seem to be a wiki dedicated to the most common mistakes and the "official" approach to responding to them. I've often wished for one. When I encounter these issues I would like simply to PM a link to the editor in question and then get to work.

A good wiki would list the most common mistakes, explain why a response was necessary, and describe what that response should be. It would support the novice editor with helpful information, encourage better editing, and hopefully leave him or her feeling positive. At the same time it would alleviate the advancing editor from having to explain the same things again and again.

So, here is my attempt at this wiki. It is missing correct imagery and links to appropriate wikis but all the text and basic formatting is there.

(Draft link redacted now that the official page is live.)

I'd welcome any big comments or concerns! Especially if this is thought to duplicate some existing reference I want to catch that before I put any more work into it. Also welcome are thoughts on the wiki title and where it should fit in the wiki tree.

Small things might best be postponed. If this wiki is deemed appropriate, let's get it into an official location and then open it up for anyone to improve :)

I hope it proves useful!

[Edit: if you like the idea of this wiki and its general approach, please also feel welcome to say so, or just to use the "thank" button, so I have some idea if it's worth further effort :D ]
Last edited by DwarfLord on Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Re: [New Page] Responding to incorrect edits

Postby Fredo-p » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:19 pm

Looks good. Two things:

1) Looks like you need some screenshots of the examples listed. Are you working on taking those screenshots or adding them from other wiki pages?

2) Some wiki pages already exits for the mistakes mentioned. Will you be adding links to the respective pages?
Fredo-p
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby DwarfLord » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:39 pm

Fredo-p wrote:Looks like you need some screenshots of the examples listed. Are you working on taking those screenshots or adding them from other wiki pages?

Not yet. It was a good stopping place to put this wiki up for consideration. If response is enthusiastic I will gladly go a-hunting for good screenshots. Probably won't take long :lol:

Fredo-p wrote:Some wiki pages already exits for the mistakes mentioned. Will you be adding links to the respective pages?

Absolutely. The page is intended as a gateway for those who have probably been skipping the documentation and as such it needs links throughout. That's another bit of work waiting to see if response to the concept is enthusiastic :)
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby qwaletee » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:45 pm

I would recommend a bullet list of safe edits, and surprisingly unsafe ones at the bottom. Public road names (following Waze abbreviations), road directionality, and simple correction to turn retsrictions are generally safe. Adding a new public road or correcting a significant error in the alignment of a road is usually safe. PLRs as shown in the detailed text are surprisingly unsafe. Highways, whether in reality or as listed in Waze road type, are typically going to cause more alarms when done by junior editors (assuming it is even possible, since they are usually locked).

Responding to error reports (UR) is safe as long as the editor is aware of UR etiquette and has someone to ask for help if it turns out the problem is not one they can figure out how to solve.

I'm sure we can throw in a bunch of other stuff.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby DwarfLord » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:52 pm

qwaletee wrote:I would recommend a bullet list of safe edits, and surprisingly unsafe ones at the bottom. Public road names (following Waze abbreviations), road directionality, and simple correction to turn retsrictions are generally safe. Adding a new public road or correcting a significant error in the alignment of a road is usually safe. PLRs as shown in the detailed text are surprisingly unsafe. Highways, whether in reality or as listed in Waze road type, are typically going to cause more alarms when done by junior editors (assuming it is even possible, since they are usually locked).

Responding to error reports (UR) is safe as long as the editor is aware of UR etiquette and has someone to ask for help if it turns out the problem is not one they can figure out how to solve.

That's a great point, the "What should I edit, then?" section could use a lot more positive suggestions and general advice on where (and where not) to focus.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:56 pm

Great page so far. When I get back I will make some more specific comments.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby miked_64 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:50 pm

I like it! This would have been great when dealing with a Rank 1 editor who undid almost a whole city worth of NFC edits.

Speaking of which, is it worth mentioning the road type / NFC guidelines as a functional mistake? This is not always intuitive for new editors.

Thanks!
ImageImage
AM for SW Michigan
miked_64
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby sketch » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:19 pm

This is a fantastic page. Excellent work.

I agree with miked_64 that road type changes & NFC reversions should be included. It's a rather common problem in areas that aren't under heavy lock.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby DwarfLord » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:54 am

DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:30 pm

The wiki is now "live" under the title "Incorrect edits", here:

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Incorrect_edits

I've removed the placeholder images and begun the process of adding real "before" and "after" examples, which will probably take some time. It is also missing many appropriate reference links to other wikis.

If anyone wants to add reference links, that would be fantastic. I will get to it but help is welcome.

My hope for the "before" and "after" images is to keep them simple, as focused as possible on the one issue being depicted, and targeted at the most common form of the mistake. And, whenever possible, to give the incorrect edit the benefit of the doubt. That is, I'd like to avoid clearcut wacko cases and instead show cases where a conscientious but uninformed editor apparently tried to help. (Also I do like the before and after images to have matching registration and zoom, I think it looks so much more professional.) If someone feels they have images that fit this plan then by all means include them. I will be working on it too.

Thanks again for the positive and helpful feedback!
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion