[New Page/USA] Responding to incorrect edits

Moderator: Unholy

[New Page/USA] Responding to incorrect edits

Postby DwarfLord » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:28 pm

Incorrect edits affect all of us, but there doesn't seem to be a wiki dedicated to the most common mistakes and the "official" approach to responding to them. I've often wished for one. When I encounter these issues I would like simply to PM a link to the editor in question and then get to work.

A good wiki would list the most common mistakes, explain why a response was necessary, and describe what that response should be. It would support the novice editor with helpful information, encourage better editing, and hopefully leave him or her feeling positive. At the same time it would alleviate the advancing editor from having to explain the same things again and again.

So, here is my attempt at this wiki. It is missing correct imagery and links to appropriate wikis but all the text and basic formatting is there.

(Draft link redacted now that the official page is live.)

I'd welcome any big comments or concerns! Especially if this is thought to duplicate some existing reference I want to catch that before I put any more work into it. Also welcome are thoughts on the wiki title and where it should fit in the wiki tree.

Small things might best be postponed. If this wiki is deemed appropriate, let's get it into an official location and then open it up for anyone to improve :)

I hope it proves useful!

[Edit: if you like the idea of this wiki and its general approach, please also feel welcome to say so, or just to use the "thank" button, so I have some idea if it's worth further effort :D ]
Last edited by DwarfLord on Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

[New Page] Responding to incorrect edits

Postby DwarfLord » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:12 pm

Let me know if this comes across as more helpful and understanding.

Alternative Incorrect Edits lead-in wrote:
This article reviews the most common editing mistakes in Waze. For those new to the [[Waze Map Editor]] (WME) it describes these mistakes and how easy it is for anyone starting out to make them. For advancing editors and Area Managers, it describes how best to respond to the mistakes when they are discovered. Finally, it discusses productive ways for new editors to contribute with minimal risk.

Incorrect edits are a natural part of Waze

Waze created the WME with the desire to attract as many editors as possible. To this end, the WME allows anyone to change the map quickly and easily without reading, training, practice, or tests.

Beneath the WME's attractive and welcoming exterior, however, lies cutting-edge technology. The WME provides expert tools that behave differently depending on minute and often invisible details. Under some conditions the WME behaves counterintuitively and trips up experts and beginners alike.

This situation guarantees that no editor will escape the WME unscathed. We all make mistakes, and lots of them.

This article discusses three categories of typical confusion: misunderstood principles, functional mistakes, and misunderstood conventions. Before discussing those, however, it's critical to bring up one kind of incorrect "edit" that is worse than all the others put together.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:17 pm

Everybody, I've made two significant additions to the Incorrect Edits article.

First, there are now some examples of unnecessary Walking Trails.

Second, there is a brand new section on Redundant turn & segment restrictions.

As always, I would be most grateful if the editing community could review these new sections. I want to be sure this article reflects current thinking and best practice as accurately as possible. Thanks!
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:49 am

The section of this wiki article on Closing URs without proper consideration now lists five specific breaches of UR etiquette. I think these are OK but would welcome review.

(Edit: reduced to four specific breaches, the fifth was overkill.)
Last edited by DwarfLord on Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Previous

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion