Will using Waze abroad incur data roaming charges?

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Will using Waze abroad incur data roaming charges?

Postby RogerEden » Sat May 24, 2014 10:03 am

When travelling abroad I usually switch off data roaming as th charges are extremely expensive. Won't this make the use of Waze impossible outside of my own country?
RogerEden

Re: Will using Waze abroad incur data roaming charges?

Postby arturoae » Sat May 24, 2014 11:38 am

The thing I do abroad is "charging" the route before on a wifi spot, zooming from point A and following to point B In a "good" zoom so the data keeps in your phone during the "offline" period. It works for me and that way you avoid the charges.
arturoae
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby RogerEden » Thu May 29, 2014 6:10 am

Pre-loading a route at a WiFi spot would mean i get routing but no traffic update? is that correct? Also for a longer route, I would have to traverse the whole route by "zoom", to get it downloaded, is that correct?
RogerEden

Postby arturoae » Fri May 30, 2014 3:44 am

I've never tried it on long routes but yes, I guess you're right. And yes. You're not connected to the server so the traffic updates won't be charged.
arturoae
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby CPL593h » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:42 pm

I'm currently planning my holidays and was wondering a related question and didn't want to create a new topic just for it: it looks like, if routes are pre-loaded, Waze data consumption is fairly low (no idea of how you translate "fairly low" in actual megabytes, though).

My main concern is that _other_ apps are still running in the background, even if they are closed (including all of Google's apps). I think it can be significant on a 12-hours road, but to my knowledge, there's no way to block other apps to access the Internet (like, say, airplane mode) while giving full access to Waze.

Any idea on how to achieve that? My best idea (and it's not a very good idea) is to use my wife's old HTC with a clean google account with just Waze installed. There should be a way to do this with my main Xperia.
CPL593h

Postby sniperkiki » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:46 pm

When you type in your route, it will download everything it needs when it calculates for that route you chose.
But in case you change designated route in area without data, it will not load new maps.

But as long as you keep designated route, you will have correct routing, only without social addons (traffic jams, police....)

Level 4 Editor
Country Manager:

Croatia

Visit Croatia's official community website:
http://waze.com.hr

If you need any kind of help, feel free to contact
sniperkiki
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby el_gigo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:31 pm

For info, according to EU discussions, we should have data abroad without any extra charges (but providers will not be forced to give you fast access)
el_gigo

Postby CPL593h » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:27 pm

el_gigo wrote:For info, according to EU discussions, we should have data abroad without any extra charges (but providers will not be forced to give you fast access)

It will not be mandatory before the end of 2015.
Since I wrote my last post here, I was noticed of a "roaming package" offered by my provider, which gives 700 MB for one month for 20 euros for the holidays. Still not cheap, but I can live with it.
CPL593h

Postby HandyJohnno » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:47 pm

I'm just back from a trip from home (N Ireland) to Kerry (ROI), and inadvertantly left my phone on, with Waze running as I crossed the border. I received a "You are roaming" text from T-Mobile, with the option to buy one of their data bundles (20MB for £1, 100MB for £3). I didn't opt into the deal, and assumed my Waze coverage would end once it ran out of the map data already downloaded. To my surprise, and a little trepidation, Waze kept getting updates all the way through Dublin, Limerick and down to Kerry. The cottage we were staying in had wifi, so I used that to confirm what I'd previously read on the T-Mobile site "The internet won’t work on your phone abroad unless you buy a Booster. This is to prevent you running up a large bill for internet usage by mistake." Since I hadn't bought a booster, I don't see how I can be billed for the data I used, probably about 15-20MB. I checked my account online, and to date, don't see any extra charge for the data used on the way down or back up again, so this may be a loophole - buy a booster if you want it, but we'll still give you data even if you dont!

John
HandyJohnno
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby MNatural » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:41 pm

I preset my route on wi-fi from Sopron Hungary to Visegrad. Phone thereafter on airplane mode. Worked exactly as it does in US without roaming. In years past I purchased minutes on ATT and turned my phone on and always went over minutes. Amazing. Free GPS with Waze great service.
MNatural

Return to Search