[Page Update] Junction Style Guide

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Page Update] Junction Style Guide

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:33 pm

In another thread I am proposing that all the recently nominated pages for Wazopedia be copied from any current US- or NA-centric pages and then move the page and its history to a USA subpage for now while we wait on the new Wazopedia servers. This will enable us to continue to update pages that are US-centric without impacting the global pages (which will need to get any country specific content purged).
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:37 pm

jondrush wrote:In my experience, having the junction at the mandatory split will yield a voice prompt that is too late. You would have to jerk the steering wheel to get over to the ramp if you waited for it.

I don't think I have the same experience. I get notifications a long distance in advance of the actual junction. Just like a turn at a corner. You get a 1/2 mile warning, then x feet, then y feet, then turn now. I get the same thing on the splits. I am pretty certain that is how we set up all the bay area freeways 3 years ago. I thought that was what we had in the guide for the US, unless I misunderstood back then or it has changed since then.

PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:07 am

At one time Sketch was doing a bunch of changes to JSG and there were many subpages created with works in progress last year. I lost track of where they went in their progress to get merged back together in a new page.

Is anyone currently spearheading the main JSG?

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:44 am

If it is different in different countries then yes. I was only speaking of the current page that has had all this material since I was working on it 2 years ago. If we need to split a US-centric version now, that is no problem.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:14 pm

I am iOS.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:36 pm

Jon, are we talking about the same thing? I have multiple alerts in advance of the actual turn (or exit). Just like approaching a corner, I have alerts and voice prompts telling me a turn is coming. I have never had to do anything drastic to turn or exit when the junction point is placed at the legal solid while line divider for splits/exits, or at the actual corner junction of a road.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:10 pm

I will pay specific attention to it tonight on the way home just in case I have not been paying enough attention. ;)

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ottonomy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:10 pm

To fall in line with the preferred ramp departure angles of 10-15 degrees, point number 4 of this passage, Exit Geometry, will need to be edited.
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Junction_Sty ... t_geometry
It currently says "The Ramp exiting segment must have a departure angle of between 20 and 30 degrees from the entering segment"
Country Manager & Global Champ - United States
Regional Coordinator - Southwest USA
Area Manager - Southern California
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby ottonomy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:24 pm

sketch wrote:Oh, also, I'm not crazy about the "2 dropped lanes on the expected side" rule, exactly—what of the situations with 1 continuing lane, 1 option lane, and 1 dropped lane? The "only 1 lane continues" rule doesn't really apply unless we explicitly exclude option lanes from that count.

Obviously, we do need to have some sort of objective rules for this spelled out in the wiki, but this is a subject where any number of factors could make exceptions to the rules seem reasonable.

There are places where only one existing travel lane peels off to another route, but there's little advance signage, poor road striping, and/or maybe a blind curve, which combine to make the exit sneak up on drivers.

There are other places, where five lanes split into 3 and 3 (option lane in middle), but the BGS have been warning of the split every half mile for 5 miles or so, and giant Y arrows loom above, ominously, sign after sign.

The former situation begs for a wayfinder. The latter should obviously have one, but almost doesn't need it.

Some editor discretion will have to come into play from time to time.
Country Manager & Global Champ - United States
Regional Coordinator - Southwest USA
Area Manager - Southern California
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby PesachZ » Sun May 18, 2014 11:03 am

DwarfLord wrote:
qwaletee wrote:I've also experimented with "sharp angle geonode" bowties. They look much better on the map/app. For segments not on the route, they're almost invisible.

Are these documented anywhere? I am trying to visualize what you are referring to and not succeeding.

Take a look at the intersection of Tillary st and the Brooklyn Bridge in Brooklyn, NY. Jay st and Tillary st to the east of that. Sorry no PL right now on my phone, but a quick search in WME should pull it up.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion