The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.
Post by ploben
CBenson wrote:Yes, that is the way it works. The autofill list is from the Google database, but if you complete the search you are taken to the waze tab with the waze result.

Although I am surprised that in this case waze understands that "2 Quail Crossing, Vernon, CT" matches "2 Quail Xing, Vernon, CT" and thus doesn't also present the Google result on the waze tab.
Is this what Alan's bug report is trying to reconcile? The change that Waze firsts looks at it's own HN database and then Google's? It's frustrating.
ploben
Send a message

Post by ploben
CBenson wrote:Not sure. But if the city names don't match then we know that waze won't find that its entry matches the Google entry.
How about the the city name is Waze matches the city name in Google? Does it have to do with the street's suffix? Xing vs. Crossing? Does Waze choke on that?
ploben
Send a message

Post by ploben
CBenson wrote:Yes, I think it does. But as it does, I'm surprised it doesn't offer the Google alternative under the waze tab. It seems to do this when the cities are different.
Under the Waze Live Map you get the auto fill Google response of Quail Crossing. If you hit more options you finally get Quail Xing.

In the app you get Quail Crossing in the auto fill to the Google pin. If you go down to More results for:...under the Waze tab you get Quail Xing with my HN I added.
ploben
Send a message

Post by ploben
CBenson wrote:Exactly, the autofill results use the Google database entries. Selecting an autofill result will route you to the Google pin location, unless there is an exact waze match in which case you will be routed to the waze stop point. If you complete the search or ask for more options you are given a set of best matches from both waze and Google, but with the waze results favored. In this case, it seems that the match is not good enough to have the autofill result route to the waze pin. But it is good enough that the Google result does show on the waze tab in the app.

Some other examples with slightly different results. Take 2172 Mulberry Hill Rd, Annapolis, Maryland. This address is in both the Google database and the waze database. The waze stop point is at the end of the driveway that is far from the closest point on the road to the house, where the Google pin is. As there is a perfect match here, selecting either the autofill result or the search result on the waze tab will route me to the waze stop point at the end of the driveway. (If I switch the search result to the Google tab and select that entry, I am routed to the closest point on the road to the house.)

Another example is 355 Montecristo Ct. Here waze is using the CDP so its "355 Montecristo Ct, Odenton, MD," while Google is using the mailing ZIP so its "355 Montecristo Court, Severn, MD" The autofill result is the Google result "355 Montecristo Ct, Severn, MD United States" routing to it shows the destination flag at the Google pin location. If you complete the search you get both "355 Montecristo Court, Severn, MD" and "355 Montecristo Ct, Odenton, MD" as results. As the city names are different, waze doesn't know they are the same place. If you choose the "Severn" entry you get the destination flag at the Google pin. If you choose the "Odenton" entry you get the destination flag at the waze stop point on the road.
Would it be wise then to add "Quail Crossing" to the segment's alt name? Will this fulfill the matching criteria for the auto fill to match my Waze HN stop point instead of the Google pin overriding the results?
ploben
Send a message

Post by ploben
CBenson wrote:It is hard to guarantee anything...
...The other tack is that the problem here seems to be that Google has no addresses for Quail Crossing. You could add them in Google mapmaker.
Usually GMM would be my next stop on an address issue but with this neighborhood being new to WME I wanted to see the flow of new HNs in Waze and how it handles it with little to no address info from Google. I feel like Waze should be walking on their own with this and it shouldn't be this much of an issue.

I think I'll test the alt name theory and adding "Crossing" but leaving "Xing" as the suffix for TTS reasons.
ploben
Send a message

Post by ploben
Alt name did not work. The only test I can try is to change the street name to see if Waze hit's my HN pin exactly as the named 3rd party pin.
ploben
Send a message

Post by ploben
CBenson wrote:There hasn't been a tile update since your change has there?
Yes, you are right. Waze had a nice tile update streak going and it was Friday so I thought maybe the planets were aligned for me on this :D
ploben
Send a message