Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by sketch
Hm. I assumed 1208 S Clearview was the Waze result because it was on the street. Didn't realize Google had so many address pins on the street.

Anyway, 4820 Richland Ave is giving the Waze result. The Google pin is right on the intersection with Rivage, but choosing the Instant result does give the Waze pin location in the middle of the dead-end block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
sketch wrote:...but choosing the Instant result does give the Waze pin location in the middle of the dead-end block.
Ohad wrote that the auto-fill (I assume what you mean by 'instant result') is only populated by google. But even if you tap on that, Waze still may be the source behind the "navigation target."
Yep, that's what I've been testing.

The Google Instant results seem to be somewhat flexible—depending on what you type, it'll give results with or without abbreviations (e.g., "3978 West Esplanade Avenue" or "3978 W Esplanade Ave"). I don't think that has an effect on the Waze matching process.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
CBenson wrote:That's a lot of house numbers.
Yeah, but there's a buuuunch of really-wrong ones, at least in my area. Rather have to nudge a bunch of automatically-added numbers than add them all in myself.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by SlowlySlowly
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: When you search house numbers in the beta editor, the results are from Waze nearly 100% of the time, and the search pin lands at the stop point (on the road). Perhaps the stop point in the app would show the same?
Am I missing something, doesn't this break door-to-door routing to stores in large parking lots? Perhaps that is irrelevant because you rarely search for stores directly by address, but for apartment complexes with numbered buildings you do.

Also, does this get applied for contact searches?
SlowlySlowly
Send a message
Stephen Cerruti (scerruti)
<Former> Area Manager for Coastal North San Diego
Oceanside, Vista, Carlsbad
Equipment: Galaxy Nexus, Chrysler Town & Country
Will code for food.

Post by SlowlySlowly
In San Marcos, CA Google uses McMahr Drive and Waze uses McMahr Road. (San Diego's GIS, SanGIS, matches Waze). Google returns different locations for the same address based on the use of Road or Drive. Both options appear in the client as suggestions.

Reported to Google. Any other fixes required in Waze?
SlowlySlowly
Send a message
Stephen Cerruti (scerruti)
<Former> Area Manager for Coastal North San Diego
Oceanside, Vista, Carlsbad
Equipment: Galaxy Nexus, Chrysler Town & Country
Will code for food.

Post by syborg_sasquatch
Maybe I am missing something with my testing and/or maybe this has been discussed elsewhere, but Waze appears to be attempting to interpolate addresses based off of the HNs in its system.

If you go to this section of Brightseat Rd in Landover, MD and search for any even address below 2200 as in "500 Brightseat Rd, Landover, MD" it will always drop a pin at the highlighted node in the link. This is the stop point for the only HN ("2000") on this section. "2200" is on the other side of Landover Rd.
500_Brightseat.jpeg
(27.13 KiB) Downloaded 1853 times
2000_Brightseat.jpeg
(41.64 KiB) Downloaded 1851 times
One problem with this is that the building with "1000 Brightseat Rd, Landover, MD" as its premises address is not in the Landover CDP. It is down here in the "Summerfield" CDP (I realize that the segments in this area still need to be modified from "No City"). If you search for this exact address in the app, using Waze as the provider, you will be taken to the node up by Landover Rd and not the correct location. To get to the correct location, "1000 Brightseat Rd, MD" needs to be used as the search parameter (and "1000 Brightseat Rd, Summerfield, MD" if the segment's city attribute was updated to reflect the CDP).
1000_Brightseat.jpeg
(40.1 KiB) Downloaded 1847 times
Edit: Added Screenshots
syborg_sasquatch
Send a message
Chuck H. | Rank 3 Editor
Samsung Galaxy S4 | Android 4.2.2 | Waze 3.7.8
DC Wiki | MD Wiki | VA Wiki

Post by tonestertm
Ohad on Waze HN source wrote:...we only take into account house numbers that a Waze community member explicitly entered or updated, and not house numbers that we obtained from possibly non-accurate external sources which have not been modified by an editor in WME. We trust you guys way more than we trust our external search providers which, in turn, we trust more than imported 3rd party data to our database.
Does this mean that we should be giving all "un-updated" House Numbers a nudge, after verifying they're correct, in order to increase confidence?
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y7f2gsiomkpxbe6/CA_SM_Rocket_Shear_Alpha_50.png?dl=0
ARC for SW Region, USA
Global Champ, US Local Champ
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!