Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Construction Zones (Road Naming (USA))

Post by sketch
Road Naming (USA)#Construction Zones

As far as I know, "Street Dr CONST ZN" is a relic from a pre-TTS day. It's pronounced "Const Z N".

@jasonh300 and I first addressed it by spelling out "CONSTRUCTION ZONE". A couple of these long-term construction projects are on my daily drive, so I've been playing around with it. I tried "S Claiborne Ave (Construction Zone)" and eventually settled on "S Claiborne Ave (Under Construction)". It's a lot easier on the eyes, but it still stands out. Plus, if it's going to be spelled out anyway, title case takes up much less space on the map. The parentheses create a pause, so instead of "Turn right, at South Claiborne Avenue Under Construction", it says "Turn right, at South Claiborne Avenue, Under Construction", which is a lot easier on the ears.

So essentially I'm proposing we change all instances of "CONST ZN" to "(Under Construction)".

We have also been using "Street Dr CLOSED" for total closures; I would recommend "Street Dr (Closed)" for consistency.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:5415

Send a message
Last edited by kentsmith9 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed URL link
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
qwaletee wrote:I think the new guidance is good, but we have thousands of roads mapped under the old CONST ZN. Wouldn't it make sense to add it to the supported abbreviations?
If "adding it to the supported abbreviations" were at all a simple task, it would have been done years ago. But Waze is not receptive to changes in the way TTS works. It took us about a year to get a pause for every slash, and I don't think they've made any changes to TTS since then.

Validator includes a search function now which would allow us to find any "CONST ZN" that needs to be changed. Consistency throughout localities is more important than consistency throughout the country, so it should be sufficient. It's not gonna be a big deal if one city hasn't caught up where another has.

Thanks for the note about anchors; I'll keep that in mind.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
Good tip on the dependencies, thanks, and thanks for fixing them too. I'll keep that in mind in the future.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I will take your Likes and silence as an affirmation. I am making the changes to the Wiki now. I did change some of the formatting for readability.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Sounds good. I would also rename the section to reflect that it is only used for long-term construction projects/closures. Here is my proposed rewrite of the two big paragraphs, in Wiki markup:
When a road is closed to traffic for long-term construction, after you [[How to handle road closures|close the road]], add "(Closed)" to the end of the road name. For example, "Ramble Dr" would become "Ramble Dr (Closed)".

When a road is under long-term construction, but is not closed, add "(Construction Zone)" to the end of the name. For example, "Tamble St" would become "Tamble St (Construction Zone)". If there is a major lane shift or traffic shift, adjust the geometry of the road to match the current traffic pattern. Do this only if you are able to monitor the area, and readjust the geometry of the road once again once the construction is complete. Remove the "(Construction Zone)" from the name, and be sure to reattach any roads which may have been disconnected.

"(Construction Zone)" should only be used for the following:
* Relatively major, long-term construction (usually lasting at least one month)
* Semi-permanent lane closures or lane shifts (lasting for the duration of the construction)
* Temporary recurring lane closures or lane shifts, if the closures or shifts occur regularly during heavy travel hours (roughly from 6 am to 8 pm)
* Construction with no semi-permanent recurring or lane closures or lane shifts, but where small lane closures and slow-moving construction traffic are common during heavy travel hours

"(Construction Zone)" should '''not''' be used for the following:
* Short-term construction (usually lasting under one month)
* Temporary lane closures or lane shifts, if the closures or shifts occur through the night (for example, between 10 pm and 5 am)
* Construction with no lane closures or lane shifts, even with possible occasional construction traffic
I would leave the first sentence and the red one as-is.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
dbraughlr wrote:
  • A construction zone is drivable (connected) with potential delays, hazards, detours including lane closures, and scheduled overnight closures.
  • A closed road is not drivable (bridge out, wash out, rebuild, security concerns, etc) and might or might not being undergoing repairs. If permanent, then the road is effectively disconnected.
  • Under construction means that a new segment will open in the future as a drivable road but until then, it is not drivable. It could be connected to the roadway with a scheduled restriction.
If we're going to break it down this way, I can agree with the first two. I don't agree with the last.

I would split them this way:
  • Construction zone: Drivable. Construction is possible/likely, but not constant. Potential delays, hazards, temporary lane closures, and occasional scheduled closures.
  • Under construction: Drivable. Construction configuration is constant—for example, lane closures or lane shifts.
  • Closed: Not drivable. Closed to traffic for a period of time.
Really, though, I'd prefer to label all drivable construction roads either (Under Construction) or (Construction Zone) [i.e., pick one and use it for everything], and all temporarily closed roads (Closed). Some of what would fit under "Construction Zone" in the three-option method I don't think is even worth marking—like, if construction is ongoing but only occurs between 9:30 pm and 5:30 am, it isn't relevant for the majority of drivers and it will probably be confusing.

If a road is closed permanently, delete it, and perhaps make a note in the editor not to add it back because of the aerials. I've seen permanently-closed ramps with "railroad" type notes left saying it's closed, do not add. We aren't supposed to do that anymore and we don't have a notes feature yet, but tbh I don't see any harm in leaving it as, say, a Street type segment, and having the "Ramp closed permanently" displayed in the client for a time.

If a road is newly constructed, I wouldn't add it until it opened, or I would add it and leave it disconnected without marking anything. Typically when this happens it's ramps anyway, so it wouldn't show on the client. I suppose if it was a road segment I might put (Opens December) or something.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
It's the other way around—there are construction zones which are not closed. Most of the construction zones around here are not full closures, but rather lane shifts and closures and the like. We've been using "(Under Construction)" for those and "(Closed)" for closures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
sketch wrote:
qwaletee wrote:I think the new guidance is good, but we have thousands of roads mapped under the old CONST ZN. Wouldn't it make sense to add it to the supported abbreviations?
If "adding it to the supported abbreviations" were at all a simple task, it would have been done years ago. But Waze is not receptive to changes in the way TTS works. It took us about a year to get a pause for every slash, and I don't think they've made any changes to TTS since then.

Validator includes a search function now which would allow us to find any "CONST ZN" that needs to be changed. Consistency throughout localities is more important than consistency throughout the country, so it should be sufficient. It's not gonna be a big deal if one city hasn't caught up where another has.

Thanks for the note about anchors; I'll keep that in mind.
Unfortunately, Validator is only as comprehensive as the viewing/editing habits of those who use it. There are probably hundreds of long-finished road projects that still say CONST ZN because nobody bothered to update them, and there will probably be a similar number that deserve to stay using the new naming. Oh, well. Waze editing is very short on "global tools" like that.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
I think the new guidance is good, but we have thousands of roads mapped under the old CONST ZN. Wouldn't it make sense to add it to the supported abbreviations?
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
You can keep any links to old TOC entries by using an "anchor" when you change the name. Do it as follows

==Old name==
Blah

becomes

==Revised name==
{{Anchor|Old name}}
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message