Construction Zones (Road Naming (USA))

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Construction Zones (Road Naming (USA))

Postby davielde » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:47 pm

CBenson wrote:If you mean turn instructions then it depends on whether the shielded road is limited access or not. As the name of limited access roads don't show up in turn instructions (rather the ramp names do) changing the name of limited access roads has no effect. If the road is not limited access then the turn instructions that use the name of the road are effected by an change to the name in WME.

So, if we were to apply this logic to the wiki with simple, straightforward guidance, would something like this then be acceptable?

"When a road is under long-term construction, but is not closed, add "(Construction Zone)" to the end of the name unless it involves a shielded, limited access road."
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan
davielde
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby sketch » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:59 am

Is shield generation for US highways automatic at this point? Is it working well? Is it instant?

Interesting to note: Interstate shields and US highway shields are matched differently. If memory serves, Interstate shields will be given to anything that starts with I-###, no matter what's at the end, whereas US highway shields are granted strictly – only to US-###, apparently, not even US-### N/S/E/W. So, assuming everything works correctly, "(Construction Zone)" on an Interstate will never be seen, whereas a US highway's shield will be broken by the phrase.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davielde » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:30 am

sketch wrote:Is shield generation for US highways automatic at this point? Is it working well? Is it instant?

Interesting to note: Interstate shields and US highway shields are matched differently. If memory serves, Interstate shields will be given to anything that starts with I-###, no matter what's at the end, whereas US highway shields are granted strictly – only to US-###, apparently, not even US-### N/S/E/W. So, assuming everything works correctly, "(Construction Zone)" on an Interstate will never be seen, whereas a US highway's shield will be broken by the phrase.

By the question of whether shield generation is instant, I would imagine that the concern would not so much be if the shield would be broken, but whether it would be fixed when (Construction Zone) is removed.

Was there a point in time where shield generation became more strict? For US highways, I've seen a shield on "Old US-23" as well as a number of US-#### N/S/E/W. If we created a new one with the direction indicated where there was previously the same shielded street name + city name combination, you don't think we would get a shield?
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan
davielde
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby sketch » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:02 am

Some shields have been added manually in the past, and it's possible to have staff – I do know, looking at a divided section of US-90 around here ("US-90 W" and "US-90 E"), that there aren't any shields on it. Whereas, I've seen an example of something like "I-10 Parkway Drive" with a shield.
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kodi75 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:07 pm

What is the benefit of appending "(Construction Zone)" to a road name? - its rarely visible at highway speeds. Does it alert drivers / modify routing? I added it to a stretch of Interstate along my daily commute here, though a response from a reporter questions it:
Reporter on July 19, 2014
If the Construction Zone bit is correct then I guess close it. Seems dumb to add that to the name of a road.
kodi75
State Manager
State Manager

Postby sketch » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:36 pm

The idea is that it's the only way to report long-term construction. But, I've only ever used it on surface streets, it didn't seem sensible to me for use on freeways. On surface streets, you'll be seeing that name longer, and you'll get it in nav instructions when turning onto that area.

But, I dunno, I'm not all that crazy about the idea these days.
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:24 am

sketch wrote:The idea is that it's the only way to report long-term construction. But, I've only ever used it on surface streets, it didn't seem sensible to me for use on freeways. On surface streets, you'll be seeing that name longer, and you'll get it in nav instructions when turning onto that area.

But, I dunno, I'm not all that crazy about the idea these days.

I'm making am assumption with no backing from looking at the app. There two distinct types of pop-up construction reports (the report>hazard>construction icons). One has the hazard logo, the other a construction hard hat. The later I've seen are not reported by users, rather by Waze or some official entity (DOT, etc ) IIRC. I assume that Waze now has the ability to remotely place these alerts, just as they can place closures. Perhaps long term construction projects, validated by editors could be paced on the client map using these road alerts without ever having to rename roads.

Just a thought, not sure if it's even practical to implement, but I'm pretty sure it's plausible. Even better would be if they allowed editors to place the alerts directly and specify start and end dates.
ImageImageImageImageNYImageImageImageImageImageImage
Formal Mentoring, Wiki
Useful Wiki pages
URs & etiquette | WME | Editing Manual | Quick-Start Guide | Best Map Editing Practices | Junctions
State specific Wiki | Forum
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Fredo-p » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:43 am

PesachZ wrote: Perhaps long term construction projects, validated by editors could be paced on the client map using these road alerts without ever having to rename roads.

Just a thought, not sure if it's even practical to implement, but I'm pretty sure it's plausible. Even better would be if they allowed editors to place the alerts directly and specify start and end dates.

I know there is a closure doc that gets filled out when a road closure is know ahead of time. Those tasked would then place the needed restrictions.

With construction zones, maybe it could be possible to have R5 and/or R6/Champs be given a secondary sub-menu for road types that lists road conditions. This way only authorized editors can correctly place the required secondary tag (construction zone, closed).

The secondary menu, as mentioned above, would have the choices of Construction Zone, Closed, and ----. Or, it could be an access only option, like turn restrictions, where an editor can enter the road condition and dates if applicable.
Fredo-p
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby PesachZ » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:47 am

Fredo-p wrote:
PesachZ wrote: Perhaps long term construction projects, validated by editors could be paced on the client map using these road alerts without ever having to rename roads.

I know there is a closure doc that gets filled out when a road closure is know ahead of time. Those tasked would then place the needed restrictions.

With construction zones, maybe it could be possible to have R5 and/or R6/Champs be given a secondary sub-menu for road types that lists road conditions. This way only authorized editors can correctly place the required secondary tag (construction zone, closed).

The secondary menu, as mentioned above, would have the choices of Construction Zone, Closed, and ----. Or, it could be an access only option, like turn restrictions, where an editor can enter the road condition and dates if applicable.

When a road is closed on that list you see the road closure pop-up (icon with red white barricade) and red/white hash marks along the entire segment, just like you would I'd toy reported the closure in the app) the report says reported by: Waze.

Having a similar list for construction would be nice, and could produce the hard hat icon pop-up reports with the relevant details.
ImageImageImageImageNYImageImageImageImageImageImage
Formal Mentoring, Wiki
Useful Wiki pages
URs & etiquette | WME | Editing Manual | Quick-Start Guide | Best Map Editing Practices | Junctions
State specific Wiki | Forum
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Fredo-p » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:55 am

PesachZ wrote:When a road is closed on that list you see the road closure pop-up (icon with red white barricade) and red/white hash marks along the entire segment, just like you would I'd toy reported the closure in the app) the report says reported by: Waze.

Having a similar list for construction would be nice, and could produce the hard hat icon pop-up reports with the relevant details.

What if the road was tagged with (Closed)? Would the barricades show up then?
Fredo-p
Beta tester
Beta tester

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion