Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

UK - Birmingham Tunnels Closed for 6 Weeks

Post by Alkemizt
Hia...

I'm not at a level where I can edit the maps to close the Birmingham Tunnels, can someone do this for the community please? The tunnels are closed Friday night 10pm 18 July around to 6am 1st September.
I'd of course do it myself if I could...It's a serious travel disruption for 6 weeks so could do with an urgent edit.

Below is a link to prove the edit is required.

http://www.brumtunnels.co.uk/what-we-are-doing-in-2014/

Cheers..A
Alkemizt

POSTER_ID:14496171

Send a message

Post by Alkemizt
It doesn't seem that it has...just planned a route and it wanted me to go down Broad St and through the tunnels.

I do get the alternate route options but I imagine if the tunnels and Broad St (I think it's also closed at one end) were correctly marked up as closed it would give better options?

It's more important for those who probably aren't aware of the closures and could get caught up in traffic.

I think Waze also feeds Google Maps doesn't it? Updating here would also assist users of Google Maps I guess.

Cheers...A
Alkemizt
Send a message

Post by Alkemizt
Ah ha...I think I agree...I'm coming from Castle Brom and work down Hagley RD. This morning it looked like it was doing exactly as you suggested. I didn't follow it's route because I expected the A4540 ring road to be faster and more familiar to me, I also had an early meeting I didn't want to risk missing. Tomorrow when I don't have specific time commitments I shall follow the Waze route and see how well it worked.

Cracking stuff...thanks to whom ever closed the tunnels...much appreciated :D

I presume the closure will re-route in both directions, maybe I'll test that tonight! Not 100% sure, but, I think they've closed off one end of Broad St so even if you aren't intending to use the tunnels, travelling Hagley RD to Broad St to....other side of city may not give access to surface routes...I'll report back!

Cheers...A
Alkemizt
Send a message

Post by Alkemizt
Found the extra bit for Broad St going towards the tunnels...seems like only buses and taxis are allowed between Bridge St and Paradise Circus...can this exclusion be added to the map until the tunnels are open again? It's just one direction rather than both...

Taken from BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/birming ... ds/planned

A456 West Midlands - Restrictions and access only to Paradise Circus for buses, taxis and cyclists on A456 Broad Street inbound in Birmingham City Centre between the Bridge Street junction and Paradise Circus. Diversion in operation - A number of localised diversion routes are signed including via Sheepcote St and Sand Pits. The outbound carriageway is not affected by these restrictions.
Alkemizt
Send a message

Post by Alkemizt
Birmingham Broad St Closed...
Postby Alkemizt » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:34 pm

Hi...

Broad St. in Birmingham is closed heading toward Paradise Circus (part of the tunnel closures). I updated the map from the app and included a photo as evidence. Shortly later this was removed and it seems routing can indeed send you down Broad St. to Paradise Circus...what actually happens is you get to a Bus / Taxi only lane guarded by a police officer and cameras and you have to take a diversion right down Bridge St.

Can this road be closed going into town at the entry to Paradise Circus. It's open the other way so it only needs to be closed in one direction (except if you're a taxi or bus).

Thank you...A
Alkemizt
Send a message

Post by benfreeman2708
Agreed, or has it already been done?
benfreeman2708
Send a message

Post by Timbones
Thanks for posting about this. I thought it had already been taken care of, but I shall double-check.

In the meantime, I've move this thread into the UK forum. Welcome to Waze!

:mrgreen:
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by Timbones
I have it on good authority that these closures have been entered into the map, and testing routes myself I can see that Waze is actually navigating via the surface streets rather than the tunnels.

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1405973896537.jpg[/attachment]
Which exact route were you trying?
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Attachments
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries