[New Page] Responding to incorrect edits

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [New Page] Responding to incorrect edits

Postby dude463 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:28 pm

I have witnessed the routing problems when an editor traced entire drives as one segment over existing segments. The angles were clean and there weren't any extra geometry nodes so I don't believe they were paving. It was a pain in the butt to find them all since the segments that were already there masked them (validator and toolbox certainly came to the rescue). A UR alerted me to the first one.
First I learned how to draw lines on a map. Now I must learn the art of Feng-ShWaze.
Image Image Image
dude463

Postby dude463 » Sun May 10, 2015 4:27 pm

@DwarfLord todays WME makes it difficult to place HNs on the wrong side of a divided street if both sides are named properly. At least from what I've seen, they snap to the closest segment, even if the segment isn't connected to the segment that you started the HN dialog with. Don't know when it changed, but it's different than when I started.
First I learned how to draw lines on a map. Now I must learn the art of Feng-ShWaze.
Image Image Image
dude463

[New Page] Responding to incorrect edits

Postby DwarfLord » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:28 pm

Incorrect edits affect all of us, but there doesn't seem to be a wiki dedicated to the most common mistakes and the "official" approach to responding to them. I've often wished for one. When I encounter these issues I would like simply to PM a link to the editor in question and then get to work.

A good wiki would list the most common mistakes, explain why a response was necessary, and describe what that response should be. It would support the novice editor with helpful information, encourage better editing, and hopefully leave him or her feeling positive. At the same time it would alleviate the advancing editor from having to explain the same things again and again.

So, here is my attempt at this wiki. It is missing correct imagery and links to appropriate wikis but all the text and basic formatting is there.

(Draft link redacted now that the official page is live.)

I'd welcome any big comments or concerns! Especially if this is thought to duplicate some existing reference I want to catch that before I put any more work into it. Also welcome are thoughts on the wiki title and where it should fit in the wiki tree.

Small things might best be postponed. If this wiki is deemed appropriate, let's get it into an official location and then open it up for anyone to improve :)

I hope it proves useful!

[Edit: if you like the idea of this wiki and its general approach, please also feel welcome to say so, or just to use the "thank" button, so I have some idea if it's worth further effort :D ]
Last edited by DwarfLord on Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:39 pm

Fredo-p wrote:Looks like you need some screenshots of the examples listed. Are you working on taking those screenshots or adding them from other wiki pages?

Not yet. It was a good stopping place to put this wiki up for consideration. If response is enthusiastic I will gladly go a-hunting for good screenshots. Probably won't take long :lol:

Fredo-p wrote:Some wiki pages already exits for the mistakes mentioned. Will you be adding links to the respective pages?

Absolutely. The page is intended as a gateway for those who have probably been skipping the documentation and as such it needs links throughout. That's another bit of work waiting to see if response to the concept is enthusiastic :)
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:52 pm

qwaletee wrote:I would recommend a bullet list of safe edits, and surprisingly unsafe ones at the bottom. Public road names (following Waze abbreviations), road directionality, and simple correction to turn retsrictions are generally safe. Adding a new public road or correcting a significant error in the alignment of a road is usually safe. PLRs as shown in the detailed text are surprisingly unsafe. Highways, whether in reality or as listed in Waze road type, are typically going to cause more alarms when done by junior editors (assuming it is even possible, since they are usually locked).

Responding to error reports (UR) is safe as long as the editor is aware of UR etiquette and has someone to ask for help if it turns out the problem is not one they can figure out how to solve.

That's a great point, the "What should I edit, then?" section could use a lot more positive suggestions and general advice on where (and where not) to focus.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:54 am

DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:30 pm

The wiki is now "live" under the title "Incorrect edits", here:

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Incorrect_edits

I've removed the placeholder images and begun the process of adding real "before" and "after" examples, which will probably take some time. It is also missing many appropriate reference links to other wikis.

If anyone wants to add reference links, that would be fantastic. I will get to it but help is welcome.

My hope for the "before" and "after" images is to keep them simple, as focused as possible on the one issue being depicted, and targeted at the most common form of the mistake. And, whenever possible, to give the incorrect edit the benefit of the doubt. That is, I'd like to avoid clearcut wacko cases and instead show cases where a conscientious but uninformed editor apparently tried to help. (Also I do like the before and after images to have matching registration and zoom, I think it looks so much more professional.) If someone feels they have images that fit this plan then by all means include them. I will be working on it too.

Thanks again for the positive and helpful feedback!
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:01 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! They have been incorporated.

I'm continuing to add example images and links throughout the wiki.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:56 pm

Thanks so much for the detailed review! I've implemented all your suggestions. I did want to respond to a couple of points, below:

kentsmith9 wrote:I think it would be good to add a very short section (one or two sentences) after the "Incorrect edits are..." section.
== Overall editing guidelines ==
Some editors have not had an opportunity to read through the editing procedures discussed in the Waze Map Editor documentation. In many cases, that documentation helps new editors much more than they realize. Be sure to check it out.

kentsmith9 wrote:Each section should link back to the WME manual or applicable style guide page that gives the detailed guidance for that issue. The basic information would be on this page and the details would be left to the manual or style guide. That would:
  • enable this page to be shorter and not look so intimidating
  • prevent maintenance of data in two different places if (when) it changes

There's now a "Further reading" section at the end of the article, with links to all five of the introductory wiki articles on editing of which I'm aware. Also some links to the forum. I adapted this from the page for Area Managers.

I'll confess to some concern that, from a beginner's perspective, the Waze wiki may seem encyclopedic rather than tutorial in both treatment and organization. For example, if I go to the Road types (USA) Ramp article, I see many things that I still do not understand, such as a J-turn (which the article helpfully explains is an RCUT/"Superstreet"). Of course I can find out what this is quickly, but the point is that parts of our documentation aren't especially tutorial in nature.

(It's an interesting aside that Wikipedia is of course intended as an online encyclopedia. So perhaps it is natural that any documentation system based on their engine might tend towards an encyclopedic rather than tutorial presentation.)

So, in writing an article explicitly oriented towards beginners making beginner mistakes, I felt that information should be immediately accessible as well as tutorial in scope. In some cases that meant reiterating information available in other articles. This was deliberate.

That being said, I'm in complete agreement that links to other documentation definitely belong throughout this article. I've been adding them as I go, and welcome help! I also plan to keep adding images as I come across good candidates.

Thanks again for the terrific review and suggestions!
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:42 pm

Looks good to me. I'm not sure quite so many instances of the message are necessary but perhaps it's appropriate given how this page will get used. But, shouldn't the words "don't panic" be printed in large, friendly letters? ;)
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion