[Script & App] WME House Number Helper (Eng. v.)

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderator: Unholy

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script & App] WME House Number Helper (Eng. v.)

Postby petya72 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:47 pm

carloslaso wrote:Friends an I have been working on this iOS app for this script but I'll need 5 beta testers on iOS7 before I submit it to the app store. I'll need you to PM your email address to send you the beta. I will only pick the first five email addresses sent. I will try to get more slots.

If you can help me find bugs on the app, the features you see in the app is all version 1.0 will have.

New feature ideas are welcome for v1.1.

Thanks bedo2991 for creating the script and making the idea of this app possible.

Hi Carloslaso!

Did you already post this script to Appstore? (I did not found it but maybe I do not know the name of the app.) If not is it still possible to become a beta tester? I have iOS 7.1 on iPhone 5s
Hungary - AM + iOS Expert
iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1, waze 3.9.1
petya72
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby sketch » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:07 am

Oh, does this script require TamperMonkey? Is it possible to use natively in Chrome?
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:55 pm

None of the scripts I use require TamperMonkey, they all work in Chrome natively (URO, Color Highlights, Junction Angle Info, JNF, Toolbox, Validator)—many of them are in the Chrome App Store now, but all of them were once .user.js or .crx files that worked natively in Chrome.

I talked to the developer of WME Fancy Permalink, which was similar to House Number Helper in that it required TamperMonkey. He sent me the code for a bootstrap.user.js file and a manifest.json file, and I was able to build the .crx Chrome extension myself.
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:31 pm

OK!

HNH 0.4.6, for direct installation into Chrome: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4339367/hnh046.crx

Working just fine along with the beta test version of carloslaso's iOS port :)

Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:18 pm

Watt25 wrote:
sketch wrote:OK!

HNH 0.4.6, for direct installation into Chrome

And what about 0.4.7? :)

Let me know if it works. It installed for me but I can't test right now. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4339367/hnh047.crx
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:44 pm

All you have to do is turn on the House Numbers layer in WME. That's it :D
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby taco909 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:59 am

Request for modification:

Today, I was wanting to add house numbers to a brand new subdivision that does not even appear on the aerials.

So I drove down the first street and parked (I have mapped these streets in Waze) and opened the Android app.
The app is apparently searching Google results, because it was pulling up streets that were some distance away, and did not bring up any of the streets I had mapped.
This brings us to the second problem....

It will not allow input of any house numbers on streets that do not already have at least one address input (in the Google database)
I was standing on a road that I had added to the map, which included some addresses that I had added from my first trip to the area... but I could not use the app at all to add any addresses.

Can the app be modified so that it ignores the street and simply drops the house number we input onto the GPS coordinates? The data in the email contains the GPS coords as well as the city, state, and street number, but the only two things that are used in WME are the coordinates and the number that we input.
It would have been so much easier than pulling out pen and paper and manually drawing the roads (for the 2nd time, first time was when I paved it to write down the street names) and adding the house numbers to them.

This may not be a big issue in urban areas or older areas that are built out, but here in my area, new housing subdivisions are opening every month and none of their data is on Google.
Even the nearby streets that the app was pulling up did not have address data.
-- Rich
ImageImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:29 pm

bedo2991 wrote:
Taco909 wrote:Can the app be modified so that it ignores the street and simply drops the house number we input onto the GPS coordinates? The data in the email contains the GPS coords as well as the city, state, and street number, but the only two things that are used in WME are the coordinates and the number that we input.

As you said, as it's not used anywhere, if you don't need it to remember it later yourself, you can use any fake/wrong data provided by geolocalization provider in the City and Street field, as long as they are not empty. What's the problem with this?

The city/street fields were not empty... they picked up a nearby street (assuming from Google), but it would not allow me to input ANY address markers. The "Store HN" button was greyed out and it said that no HN's were registered for the street.

This is a shot of the default screen before it gets a GPS lock, but the only difference is the city and street are solid black rather than grey (and GPS accuracy was 5m).

2014_10_11_12.21.54.jpg
2014_10_11_12.21.54.jpg (76.46 KiB) Viewed 404 times
-- Rich
ImageImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:32 pm

Or are you saying that the buttons will be activated if I manually input "7000 - 9000 Copper Sky" on the street entry?
Seems that Google not having addresses assigned to the street is what's causing the issue.

Of course, local and Dev testing of this is difficult if you don't have ready access to a street with no Google address pins.
-- Rich
ImageImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:23 pm

bedo2991 wrote:Ok, I got what is the bug, when you open the application and you already had the GPS fixed it doesn't work. I'll try to fix that, in the meanwhile either you start the app with the GPS switched off or when it happens try to switch the GPS on and OFF it should work.

If I open the app with the GPS off, it asks me to turn it on. If I say no, it shuts down.
It had no problem getting the GPS fix, it popped up quickly and refreshed every time I hit the refresh button.

The issue is that it is searching Google (or Bing?), rather than Waze, for the street that you are on.
In my case, I was in the middle of an empty field on Google/Bing, so the app grabbed the nearest street.
And of course, that is not a big deal because I can manually input the street name for later reference in the email if I'm doing a group of these.

But since the street did not have any addresses registered in Google, the app did not allow me to input any addresses.
The bottom part of the image above is exactly how my screen appeared, but I had a valid city and street name and 5m GPS accuracy on the top part. It would not allow me to store a house number.

Here is a PL to the area I was mapping:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 605&zoom=5
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9588821 ... 650251,17z
http://binged.it/ZzwDIx

Depending on where I was, it was picking up Jack Rd, Orange, Cleveland, or any of the other surrounding streets (and interesting that it appeared as Corona because this area has been incorporated as Eastvale since 2010, Google is WAY behind and Orange does not even exist).

It looks like I may be wrong on Google lacking address information for those streets... spot checking Jack and a few others and I see that Google does show addresses... are you perhaps using Bing?
Either way, I had no way to input an address. The GPS fix was working perfectly.
-- Rich
ImageImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts