Suggested addition to Road names/USA wrote:Naming principles
- The name given to any road segment (other than ramps and at-grade connectors) shall originate preferentially with government sources. These sources are, in order of priority: clear and consistent signage; local government street maps (for example county GIS); or other government data (such as state maps or topographic maps).
- If government sources provide multiple but inconsistent names for a road segment, local sources, such as local news articles, may be considered.
- The alternate name field may be employed to handle extreme cases of multiple or inconsistent names for the same road segment. This does not apply to historical names that are no longer used for directions or addressing; these do not belong on the Waze map in any form.
- If no government source names a road on private property, it may be named according to information provided by the property owner or tenant.
- If the above sources provide no name at all for a road segment, its name field should be left blank and marked as "None". Third-party mapping databases shall not be used to supply a road name that cannot be found in primary sources. Under no circumstances shall any road name be made up, even if the made-up name is based on nearby landmarks or destinations.
Is that too severe?
[EDIT: omitted ramps and at-grade connectors from this discussion]