Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by kentsmith9
This generally sounds good. I think we should also list when and why not to add the Ferries discussed that cause problems like crossings longer than a few hours, must purchase ticket in advance, etc. We should also note in there that this feature will likely change with greater Ferry support in a future version (coming soon). :)
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Nice work. I hope you don't mind that I did some formatting to match similar Wiki pages. I also added a Under construction message box to alert users who might happen to stumble onto this page before we are done.

I added some questions I think we should consider answering within the page and a couple of suggestions.

If you think any of my changes are incorrect let's fix them, but I think I have it captured based on this thread.

I did change the order of the decision tree for when to map ferries to start with the list of when not to map them. This is similar to the format we used for when NOT to split roads.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
CBenson wrote:I'm don't understand what not mapping "Ferries with no set schedule" is intended to address. We have a few ferries that cross small rivers that run whenever a car shows up. Seems like they should be mapped.
The intent I understood was a "Ferry that had no set schedule AND could be a long wait like 30+ minutes." Maybe they do not exist so no need to worry about them.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Nice work so far.
nhanway wrote:I cant figure how to make step 3. move over to line up with the others... Currently its all the way over on the right... So if you can fix that, GREAT!
Does this look like you wanted?
nhanway wrote:I also added a section for future ferry support. Its full of Information I have gathered from the forum and from personal experience. Add/Edit that as necessary as well.
I converted into more objective terminology to follow other Wiki pages better.
nhanway wrote:Also maybe it would be a good idea to add a list of Ferry Experts at the bottom. Editors that have mapped and have a great deal of experience with ferries. Like myself. And include links to there contact information.
I wonder if that should be put either on the talk page (once we move this to the live page) and/or here in the forum. (IMO) I don't think the main page for Ferries would be appropriate.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
It looks great on my side. I added another internally formatting template. It may fix what you are seeing. Can you post a screen shot?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Attachments

Post by kentsmith9
nhanway wrote:The 3 in step 3 is in the correct location now. I'm not sure what was happening but is all good now.
Like I said I added a formatting template that for some reason was not required in my view, but was for yours. That template should prevent it from being a problem either way now.
nhanway wrote:So any objections to moving all this from the talk page to the actual "how to map ferries" page?
I do not, but I would recommend we rename the new page to simply "Ferries" as a more general page name. That way we can add other information on Ferries that is not necessarily how to map them.

When creating a new page you have two options:
1. Go into edit mode for the page, copy the content, and then create a brand new page with the desired name. The result is a first page entry in the history with the entire content as one entry. The history for the changes are no longer present, but since this page was a collaboration in the forum I don't think it is useful because nhanway was making changes on behalf of himself and other inputs. This method leaves the original temporary page in tact which is not good, so we just need to delete it. I can do that after the other page is created.

2. Use the Move option to effectively rename the page. This can be done between namespaces like we need here going from the Talk page to the Main namespace. This will keep the history of all prior edits and will not require deleting the old page since it is just renamed.

So I propose #1 for this page as explained above.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Excellent. I reset the old page to a redirect to the new in case someone searches that exact name.

I went through and added a number of internal Wikilinks to the new Ferries page. That point out a number of missing redirects to what I thought were commonly searched terms for other operations. For all of those I created new redirects to the appropriate Wiki section.

The section on Future Ferry Support is better placed on the talk page since it could inspire discussion. I moved it there and also put a link from the main page.

The talk page also links back to this forum entry.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I added a link back to this page in the message box warning not to use the type yet.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by nhanway
Im jumping in here. I am an editior based out of Seattle, WA. We have a lot of ferries in WA especially in Seattle Area. I have been routed on ferries and they work perfectly in Waze.

I agree that we shouldn't spend a lot of time working on a ferry wiki until Waze adds Ferry road type.

But I think it would be helpful to give some guildline on when to and not to map ferries. And if ferries should be mapped how should you map them.

Here is what I have learned to work well in Washington State and learned from this forum:
Ferries should be mapped if:
*You can drive on and drive off. (Passenger Ferries not mapped unless significant GPS trace's causing UR's, then mapped as Private Rd.)
*You can buy tickets whenever (pre booking ferries should not be mapped(or set to private))
*Ferry is accessible to the general public(no private ferries)

*You need to be able to edit AT LEAST both ports. The entire area is preferable.
*Turn on GPS points. It seems like people like to leave Waze on in the ferry. Draw a road on the ACTUAL path the car would take. Draw the road using the GPS points to align with the usual path of the ferry in the water.
*Have the road right up to the part of the dock where it would load.
*Road type should match whats on either side, don't use Private, Freeway or Parking lot road type. If the Ferry is part of the highway system it should be mapped as Major/ Minor Highway
*Draw an entrance segment, make this one way road a "Toll Road" unless the ferry is free. Then make exit road that is not tolled. Don't make the whole ferry segment a toll.

And I haven't seen the following used be for but I guess they would work.
*Don't forget to use time restrictions.
*The first ferry of the day is when it should open.
*The last ferry of the day is when it should close.
nhanway
Send a message