Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by CBenson
I don't think it moot, because we still need to delineate when the Event form should be use and when the Closure form should be used. Or maybe we don't, maybe you can use either for smaller events. But its still worth discussing which closures can be submitted on the Event form. It still seems to me that any event for which there are closures published more than a day or two in advance can be handled through the events form.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
I agree that almost all construction is better handled in the closures form (in jurisdictions that have one). But the flip side is that almost all events are better handled in the events form.

The question is how to handle smaller event. Say a small town parade or road race that closes a few a roads. Do we agree they should be reported through the event form?

I'm not sure that the closures form is more accessible in case things change. Each event gets its own sheet that can be shared and updated.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I still don't think we should write this page solely from the US perspective. There are areas with no closure sheet, but events can be submitted around the world. Sure our public closure form might be monitored better than events, but that might be different elsewhere. Maybe the US Champs need to consider monitoring the accepted events more closely.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Looks good to me. I would like to see this change made to the wiki sooner rather than later now that the closures are live.

One minor edit to consider: In step 10 of how to add a temporary closure it says the end date can not be more than 180 days after the start date. However, the change to 6 calendar months (183 days) is noted further down in the minutiae section. These sections should be made consistent.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I agree, maybe we need to discuss this elsewhere, but we should be able to get closures on the map quickly and thus completely move away from using TBRs for any closures.

With regard to the page, I would remove the sentence "This is the preferred method for closing roads due to its safety and visibility to Wazers" from "The WME Closure feature" section as it is repeated from the "How to submit a Real time closure" section.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Right, that's why I don't like it there.

The sentence seems to be saying that of the specific tools (Report closure feature in the Waze app, Major traffic events, and The WME Closure feature) The WME Closure feature is the preferred method for closing roads due to its safety and visibility to Wazers. I don't think that is accurate. For scheduled events entered a week out, I would consider the Major traffic events to be preferred, just as safe, and in many cases more visible (depending on how waze handles the push notifications.) Similarly, I wouldn't refrain from adding a closure that is effect but doesn't show on the map from the app.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by davielde
CBenson wrote:
Fredo-p wrote:
  • Disconnect road segments - In general it is not recommended to disconnect road segments unless roads are permanently being disconnected. However, this method has been used for longer term construction projects while waiting for the scheduled restrictions feature.
Is there any reason to keep the second sentence regarding disconnecting segments?
I know that some people like to keep history out of the wiki, but perhaps as people get used to the new closure method, it could change to past tense for now and then be phased out altogether in a few months.

"It is no longer recommended[...]"
"this method had been used[...]"
davielde
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan

Post by DwarfLord
I've been catching up with this and want to applaud all the fine work! Two questions:

1. I was recently reminded that partially-restricted segments only restrict who can leave the restricted segment, not who can enter. For example, Waze will happily route private vehicles down a segment marked "public transportation only" or daytime drivers into a segment "closed 9am-7pm"; it just won't route them out the other end. It's unclear to me that this is optimum behavior, but that's not my question here.

My question is: does the closure system work the same way? If a destination is located along a closed segment, will Waze route the driver as if the closure wasn't there? I looked over the article but did not see anything discussing this, maybe I missed it. If editors get used to how segment restrictions function they may assume closures work the same way...?

2. In some areas I monitor I am seeing increased evidence of bicycling Wazers. The best example is Golden Gate Park, where a major road is closed to vehicle traffic every Sunday. Well, on Sundays Live Map regularly shows heavy traffic on that road. Hmmmm!

So here's the question: can pedestrians and bicyclists using Waze over a road closed to vehicle traffic cause suspension of a WME-installed closure, or termination of an app-installed closure?

During the two-day closure of the Golden Gate Bridge recently, which I believe was applied using the Mega Event system, I saw a UR complaining of being routed that way. Well, the bridge was open to bicyclists and pedestrians during that closure. Could Wazing bicyclists and/or pedestrians have "opened" the bridge?
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
DwarfLord wrote:If a destination is located along a closed segment, will Waze route the driver as if the closure wasn't there?
It would seem the answer is yes.

So, is the only way to really, truly, completely CLOSE a road to use turn restrictions? I'm a bit befuddled here.
Screen shot 2015-03-21 at 9.13.56 AM.png
Waze routes into closure to reach destination.
(44.61 KiB) Downloaded 768 times
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
sketch wrote:I mean, what's the problem though, exactly? Don't you want to get as close as you can to your destination, if it's on a closed/restricted segment?
It's a good point: what should Waze do. I kind of imagined it would get you as close as possible except that it would treat the closed road as if it weren't there, rather than happily drawing a route right through a barrier.

I'm gradually getting my head around this behavior but it sure seems the documentation should be clear about it. "Road Closed" and "Open to local traffic only" mean very different things. How about:
Though the term "closure" is used throughout Waze, Waze closure tools do not fully close individual segments; rather they are marked as open, but to local traffic only. When multiple contiguous segments are closed with Waze, the outermost segments will be open to local traffic, while all inner segments will be fully closed to routing.
There are similar issues with restricted segments, for example if a single segment is restricted eastbound to muni buses only, but available to all traffic westbound, Waze will route eastbound drivers with a destination on that block right into the muni lane rather than around to approach the segment westbound. I can't be the only one who's going to trip over that...! The single-segment restriction is simply not enough in that case, it needs to be cascaded with another restricted segment or with (probably multiple) turn restrictions.

Anyway, I guess my question is answered: if it is critical for whatever reason that Waze actually close a road rather than limit it to local traffic only, that can only be done with turn restrictions or with multiple contiguous closed segments.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message