[Update] Partial restrictions (time and vehicle type)

Moderator: Unholy

[Update] Partial restrictions (time and vehicle type)

Postby qwaletee » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:29 pm

Please use this page to discuss the Wiki topic Partial restrictions

The most recent discussion about this page was in the dedicated topic regarding a name change: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 08#p785008
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Re: [Update] Partial restrictions (time and vehicle type)

Postby qwaletee » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:35 pm

Kent and I have been discussing a change to the lede for the article. It gives the uses for it, which is somewhat redundant to the main text, but I believe may be needed due to the length and complexity of the article.

There is also an Overview section, which is sort of a second lede. Possibly, it should be merged into the lede, providing a single introduction to the topic that explains the basics of what it can do or can't do, where you might want to use it or not, and what alternative mechanisms there are.

Another thing to look at is breaking up the article. One possible way might be:

* Overall introduction with few details and links to the other articles
* Explanatory article specific to TBTR (not segments)
* Explanatory article specific to segment restrictions
* Explanatory article specific to time restrictions (separate from vehicle)
* Explanatory article specific to vehicle restrictions (separate from time)
* How-to article on the mechanics of using the restrictions interface, which is common to turns, segments, time, and vehicle

So, three or four approaches:

1) Improve lede without any other major changes
2) Improve lede and merge in overview section material
3) Either together with the above or separately, break the article into more digestible chunks, separating the mechanics of the interface from a a general overview and from subtopic-specific overviews
( or 4) restructure is some way differently than I described)

Your thoughts are appreciated.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:56 am

Thanks for doing this one. I will add my comments after a day or so when things get calmer on my real life side of things.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby KuniaKid » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:25 am

Will there be a section on contra-flow lanes that are partially restricted? i.e. O'ahu Zipper Lane.
KuniaKid
State Manager
State Manager

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:35 am

We should definitely add that in. Cool example.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby qwaletee » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:09 am

The zipper lane seems to be an example of a reversible HOV lane, or something similar. If it qualifies for HOV lane status, current guidance would be to include it. If it create a path that in unique, we would have to include it. If all it does is add an extra lane in one direction at certain times, which is close enough to the other same-direction lanes to allow Waze to "snap" it, then it probably isn't necessary at all.

I did not examine the entire route closely enough to follow its exact situation.

(BTW, I think we need to update guidance on HOV lanes. On the Gowanus Expy in Brooklyn, it is mapped per guidance, but it only creates headaches without solving problems. I would love to take it out, and only add it back in if Waze has better support for HOV making it valuable. For now, it just makes the roads look like headphones coming out of my pocket.)
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby Fredo-p » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:12 am

qwaletee wrote:(BTW, I think we need to update guidance on HOV lanes. On the Gowanus Expy in Brooklyn, it is mapped per guidance, but it only creates headaches without solving problems. I would love to take it out, and only add it back in if Waze has better support for HOV making it valuable. For now, it just makes the roads look like headphones coming out of my pocket.)

I agree. In Arizona, we had to remove all HOV lanes unless they were dedicated left-hand on/off ramps. No matter what we did, HOV UR's kept popping up and created a nightmare of troubleshooting.
Fredo-p
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:14 am

Your examples that is not working is interesting to hear. In California along I-680 S between Sunol and Milpitas we have a similar HOT lane that I get to ride in every day. The original setup is slightly different from the guidance (mainly because my route was working when others wanted to use a different method). With over a year with no problems maybe we should look at it again and update the guidance to match it. The lane is essentially unavailable to drivers, unless you start navigation when IN the lane. That is due to the phone GPS resolution unable to snap into the adjacent lane if you started outside of it.

Of course it is mostly moot until we get carpool or HOT status enabled in the client.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:55 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:we have a similar HOT lane . . . . The lane is essentially unavailable to drivers, unless you start navigation when IN the lane. . . .

Of course it is mostly moot until we get carpool or HOT status enabled in the client.

We are not expecting to get HOT support distinct from HOV support are we? In other words we already have all the support we expect to get for toll part of the restriction don't we? Why is the lane not available to the toll users?
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby qwaletee » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:22 pm

There are several issues that come up:

1) sheer complexity -- when you have a complicated series of parallel roads (HOVs, primary, service, ramps) it can be a mess to edit, which seems like a waste when Waze does not currently support it

2) drivers snapped to wrong road on occasion, leading to weird instructions, especially when they are very close to the other lanes and/or "wander"; secondary effect can be speed data pollution

3) once in a while, if traffic is absolutely terrible, Waze sees the HOV PLR cost as not high enough
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion