Post by nhanway
I have made my edits to talk page. let me know what you think and/or make changes to the page.

Thanks
nhanway
Send a message
Last edited by nhanway on Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by nhanway
Take a look at the ferry page and look over some of the improvements I have made. I think some of the steps could be made more clear...

I cant figure how to make step 3. move over to line up with the others... Currently its all the way over on the right... So if you can fix that, GREAT!

Let me know what you all think, make corrections or edits as necessary

I also added a section for future ferry support. Its full of Information I have gathered from the forum and from personal experience. Add/Edit that as necessary as well.

You can PM me if you have any other suggestions or comments you would rather not post on the forum.

Also maybe it would be a good idea to add a list of Ferry Experts at the bottom. Editors that have mapped and have a great deal of experience with ferries. Like myself. And include links to there contact information.
nhanway
Send a message

Post by nhanway
This is a good point. I will fix that. I think the intention was to prevent super small ferries that people might be directed to when they aren't running (like 3AM).

Do the Ferries you are referring to run 24-7?
nhanway
Send a message

Post by nhanway
kentsmith9 wrote:Nice work so far.
nhanway wrote:I cant figure how to make step 3. move over to line up with the others... Currently its all the way over on the right... So if you can fix that, GREAT!
Does this look like you wanted?
The #3 is still all the way over to the right side of the page.
"Draw segments on both loading ramps using the same road type as the ferry. These 3. should have the correct city name entered on each side and "Ferry Loading Ramp" in road name field for both. (Editor Note: We do this step because it gives some separation from the ferry and the ferry's slow waiting lines. This allows for better routing)"
kentsmith9 wrote:
nhanway wrote:Also maybe it would be a good idea to add a list of Ferry Experts at the bottom. Editors that have mapped and have a great deal of experience with ferries. Like myself. And include links to there contact information.
I wonder if that should be put either on the talk page (once we move this to the live page) and/or here in the forum. (IMO) I don't think the main page for Ferries would be appropriate.
Okay with me. It was just an idea.
nhanway
Send a message

Post by nhanway
The 3 in step 3 is in the correct location now. I'm not sure what was happening but is all good now.

So any objections to moving all this from the talk page to the actual "how to map ferries" page?
nhanway
Send a message

Post by nhanway
I created a new Ferries Page. I linked it to the Waze Map Editor page. You can now delete the How to add Ferries page. I'm not sure how to do that.
nhanway
Send a message

Post by nhanway
These are both good ideas. I'll make the changes later today if someone else doesn't get too it first.

Also, if this hasn't been done already, we should add a note on the road types pages saying not to use the ferry road type yet. Also link the road types pages to this ferry mapping page.
nhanway
Send a message

Post by nhanway
sketch wrote: First, the obvious: the new developments with the "ferry" type, and a note not to use that type yet.
I added Ferry to the Road types/USA Wiki. I also linked it to this Ferry Wiki. Take a look.

I added a Road types section to the Ferries Page with the same note the Road types/USA wiki has.

I added a section because I thought it would be a good place to add something like this:

How to class the ferries. Functional Classification Maps do not always show ferries in their map. The FC maps normally just show the roads leading to the ferry on either side. It is important to type the ferry at the highest class. For example you have a Principal arterial (Waze Major Highway) leading to the ferry on one side and a Minor arterial (Waze Minor Highway) on the other. The ferry should be typed Major Highway to provide better routing.

sketch wrote: Next, the obscure: the naming standard. Instead of a slash, we should use a hyphen—the slash will cause a TTS pause, while the hyphen will not. So, ditch "Canal St / Algiers Ferry" in favor of "Canal St - Algiers Ferry". (Of course, if it has only one name, use that.) The latter sounds like the name of a ferry; the former sounds like a street or a ferry. (This is the same reason I do not use a comma between city and state when both are included together on a sign.)
I have changed the wiki to show this:
1. The main Ferry line (The road from Dock to Dock) Should be: Seattle - Bremerton Ferry
2. The Entrance / Loading Road: to Seattle / Bremerton Ferry
3. Exit route: Exit to: Seattle / I-90 / I-5

Is this what you where saying? Or should I change it so that we never use "/" while mapping ferries?
nhanway
Send a message

Post by nhanway
I have updated the wiki with "to Bremerton - Seattle Ferry".
sketch wrote: Although I'm not sure what sense there is in naming the unloading docks, because if there's no choice to be made (you have to get off the ferry), you will never hear or see that name. In the same vein, I don't know that it's necessary to name the loading dock either, unless you want to include more information than simply the name of the ferry (e.g., where it's going in particular). The ferries here aren't that big and use the same ramp for loading and unloading, so the two-one-way-ramps setup is a bit cumbersome.
The reason we split the entrances and exits to ferries is so that we could control which direction is tolled. If neither direction is tolled or both directions are tolled then splitting the entrance and exit is not necessary.

The "Exit to: Seattle / I-90 / I-5", your right, does not always have to be named. In some cases there are multiple directions you can take when you leave the ferry. Then its important to name.

The "Exit Route" name normally matches what you see on the dock. There is normally a little sign right when exit the loading dock that says "Exit Route ->", or at least here in Washington thats normal. Although you are right, Wazers will probably never see or hear the name "Exit Route", it doesn't hurt to just name it.

This could defiantly made more clear.
nhanway
Send a message

Post by nhanway
I have updated wiki.

Ferry segment labeled with "Seattle - Bremerton Ferry.

Entrance segment labeled with "to Seattle - Bremerton Ferry.

Exit segment labeled with No Name unless there are multiple exit routes and clear signs then labled with "to: Seattle" and "to: I-90 / I-5"

This sound right?
nhanway
Send a message