Jolly drivers

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Re: Jolly drivers

Postby taco909 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:49 pm

KuniaKid wrote:This accident in on the WESTBOUND side.
Screen Shot 2014-11-22 at 11.22.17 AM copy.jpg

http://khon2.com/2014/11/22/traffic-alert-westbound-traffic-on-h-1-being-rerouted-due-to-accident/

Common mistake.
Waze views that as two separate one-way roads.
Eastbound reporters are reporting "other side" but Waze does not have the internal logic to put it on the westbound lanes.
-- Rich
ImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:36 pm

LOL!

Must be the same reporter I referred to on the last page up at Baldwin & I-210
-- Rich
ImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:23 pm

Olestas wrote:Potholes?

There was a thread on this not long ago.
Some people are under the impression that municipalities use Waze to locate potholes.
-- Rich
ImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:33 pm

redspawn2k2 wrote:I'm embarrassed I didn't catch on faster...

I've worked a number of those.
"Waze told me there was an error"
-- Rich
ImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:43 pm

dude463 wrote:Wow, if that happened a lot I'd think you'd consider banning them.

They can be.

I've joked about renting a Cessna and making a loop around LA carrying the phones from all of the local editors, but like GPS spoofing, doing this to open up editing area is considered cheating and something that extreme is certainly the basis for a ban.
-- Rich
ImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:22 am

thealphagirl wrote:
SkiDooGuy wrote:I honestly have no idea what to say here.....

That reminds me of an old Navy joke.
US Ship: Please divert your course 0.5 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.
CND reply: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.
US Ship: This is the Captain of a US Navy Ship. I say again, divert your course.
CND reply: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course!
US Ship: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS CORAL SEA, WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW!!
CND reply: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

We had some interesting conversations monitoring the radio when I worked at Douglas at the Long Beach airport.
Sometimes the pilots would get just a bit "chummy" with the tower crew and it would bite them.
Other times the tower crew would pull a fast one on a student pilot:

November niner niner echo, say altitude.
"Altitude"
November niner niner echo, say altitude.
"Altitude"
November niner niner echo, say cancel IFR.
"Level 3000"

Sharp student pilot:
November niner niner echo, verify gear down and locked.
Roger, gear down and welded (Cessna 177, fixed gear)
-- Rich
ImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:43 am

SCP1906 wrote:no previous contact, no place point in that area
just asking how we could help :cry:

I had one of those out in Fontana.
Left a "missing overpass" report.
Ignored the first request.
On 2nd request over a week later, flipped out about having never left the report and don't contact him again.

Had another one about 15 minutes later. Not the response... the initial report "You don't need more information, don't be lazy"
I'm assuming that UR was left as a response to a message in the reporter's inbox about another UR.
-- Rich
ImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:46 am

tckma wrote:the app; if I look at some of my drives I can see myself walking around the house, or chasing my dogs around my back yard when they don't come when called. It's given me a good laugh, although I know it DOES pollute the GPS data.

Walking around inside of a Costco is only going to pollute the parking lot roads, which aren't going to be used for routing anyways.
The main issue with using Waze while walking or riding a bike is on normal roads.

But there's been a ton of times I've gotten funny looks when inside Costco or Home Depot and suddenly Samantha calls out an instruction.
-- Rich
ImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:29 pm

nzahn1 wrote:I figure this thread is the right place to ask: How do folks deal with hostile reporters?

I begin with the standard canned response from Rick's script.
Generally, two things work in our favor... Primarily, the reporter is no longer really upset about the traffic (unless he's just a real a-hole). Secondly, they generally calm down at the mention of "Volunteer Editor"... they realize that we are NOT being paid and are honestly trying to help them out.

I've had three hostile reporters in the last couple of weeks. Two calmed down, and one was an actual map issue that I corrected, one was just a traffic issue (there really were no valid alternates that would have been faster, and driving the same roads and empathizing with the reporter switched him over to friendly responses.)

The 3rd was just a jerk. Seen them in this thread, we ask for information and they demand that we no longer contact them because they never left a report of a problem.
Duhh... SOMEONE used their phone to report it, but it's not worth getting into an argument. Close it as "not identified" and move on.
-- Rich
ImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:31 pm

qwaletee wrote:Remember, mapping has been around for thousands of years. Modern mapping and transportation network record keeping in the US has been around for about 150 years. Electronic storage of that data only starts 50-60 years ago, and only . A lot of catch-up involved transferring data from state resources, the US Geological Survey, and historic Census Bureau data into the original TIGER system in the 1980s. That was not long after OCR began coming of age. I haven't seen anything specific about this, but I would bet they at least experimented with OCR in the data gathering process.

And much of this data transfer is like the CC&Rs at an HOA... it's a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy that even a human has a difficult time reading... much less a 1st generation OCR device.
-- Rich
ImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor