Waze leaving a bad taste  Topic is solved

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Waze leaving a bad taste

Postby Machete808 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:53 pm

After reading this, I wanted to check routing to our airport (Google result is a problem here, too). The turn-by-turn list indicated the routing was correct, but the nav map was strange:

airport.PNG
(70.28 KiB) Downloaded 318 times

Rodgers should be the LAST turn, yet it shows on the top bar as the first one.

When I tried again, I couldn't reproduce this result. It would seem there could be some work going on at the back end. Or that would be my uninformed guess.
Machete808
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby brandonrossl » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:36 pm

Cbenson is getting exactly what I get, and it's driving other users crazy, and away from Waze. Honestly the search results need to be segregated, knowing what you're picking is just as important as getting results at all. Nobody wants to drive 30 minutes in the wrong direction, they'd rather use google maps and get there when Waze fails ahead of time.
brandonrossl

Postby CBenson » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:34 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:blue means Waze Place

I'm not getting a blue pin. Ever. Even for Waze Places.

For the autocomplete results I now get "RICHMOND airport" as the first result. This shows a pin in the middle of the airport grounds and routing to it takes me to Raines Ave in the adjacent residential community. But I can't find anything in Waze or Google capitalized like that entry. The second result appears to be the Google result for an airport in Rhode Island.

Hitting search does not bring up the Waze result first for me. The Google result still shows first under the places tab. If I switch to the Waze tab the Google result is not listed.

I agree that this is concerning. If we have a place entered correctly, the default returns should not be unidentifiable.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:42 pm

I agree with the issue here. Richmond airport is a plain pin (not blue; blue means Waze Place) and it shows the middle of the field, so is a google result. Hitting Search, of course, brings up the Waze result first, which then is much better. Someone made some updates yesterday, not sure what. I did a couple more updates today. I do see that Richmond International Airport search has the same issue and that is the exact primary name in WME.

This is a concerning issue. Why would google results be preferred for a near-exact match?
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby brandonrossl » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:46 pm

Hop on the app, start typing Richmond airport, once you type A I you'll see richmond airport, click on it and bam, auto-suggest fail.

Also search for "richmond airport" and I get the first result is the center pin and the 2nd result is the google pin and there is NOTHING telling me (or any user) which one is directly from Waze.
brandonrossl

Postby CBenson » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:15 pm

I can no longer reproduce this. Its possible that results are different if you are closer to the airport when you search. We need some steps that reproduce the wrong route to give to waze to illustrate the issue.

I understand that the Google result is still showing. But when I route to the Google result, I am routed to the closest point on Bland Blvd to the Google pin, which at least routes by where the waze result puts you.

Maybe we could get rid of the Google result by using as slash or space instead of the dash in the airport name. But that's just a wild guess on my part.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby brandonrossl » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:47 pm

brandonrossl

Postby brandonrossl » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:49 pm

brandonrossl

Postby SuperDave1426 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:05 am

When you bring up the details of something that's been denied, there's a link called "I object" that you can click on, which lets you make another comment.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Machete808 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:04 am

SuperDave1426 wrote:I do that all the time. Most of the time, though, a reviewer just denies it out of hand with a "available information is more accurate" and then I have to argue and may or not convince them.....

I have a lot to learn about this. How do you argue? I don't see any communication link.

One more aside: I noticed that most of my cases show some kind of verdict, one way or another, with thumbs up, thumbs down icons and/or the word ACCEPTED or DENIED in red.

But the airport reports? No votes of any kind. So it makes sense that it's by design/policy.

I also wish that Waze could figure out a way to have the Google listings that pop up with autocomplete relay to Waze data, once confirmed by an editor.
Machete808
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor