Waze leaving a bad taste  Topic is solved

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Waze leaving a bad taste

Postby qwaletee » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:24 am

I find it helps to give "evidence" in the reports. For example, if it is a badly placed addressed, give a short URL to a Streetview image that demonstrates it is wrong, or give links to Google place data that conflicts.

Even then, yes, you will often get the stock answer. When the reviewer is in India and works for the Google business listings database team, they're really inflexible. It is as if they have been drilled into thinking that their data is excellent AND don't spend more than 10 seconds reviewing any edit. Fortunately, they are not the only reviewers.

For airports, you have a tough problem because the problem seems to be by design. Google seems to have made the decision that large polygons should have their pin centered. It doesn't affect their routing, because they have separate listings for the airport shape and airport address, and they route via the address. Not sure how they are tied together. But for whatever reason, the API returns the shape pin, not coordinates for the address.

Since this is a Google maps policy, we're pushing against a wall.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby SuperDave1426 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:38 am

qwaletee wrote:Since this is a Google maps policy, we're pushing against a wall.

Which, IMO, is all the more reason why Waze should prefer the data that they are requesting WE had for them over Google's..... If that were the case, this wouldn't be an issue.

Yea, I know..... :/
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby davielde » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:11 am

Machete808 wrote:I wish there was a way to get a message through to top-level Google Maps editors that they need to MOVE THE MARKERS for all airports to a sensible location.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/nCTfg35.jpg[/img]

On a local basis, it's good to try to establish a good GMM editing history and build trust with one or two reviewers. Having more of a "personal" relationship through repeated interaction helps a lot. It's still a bear to prove a case sometimes though.
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan
davielde

Postby qwaletee » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:24 am

SuperDave1426 wrote:
qwaletee wrote:Since this is a Google maps policy, we're pushing against a wall.

Which, IMO, is all the more reason why Waze should prefer the data that they are requesting WE had for them over Google's..... If that were the case, this wouldn't be an issue.

Yea, I know..... :/

That may be an even bigger wall, because either Waze will make massive improvements in search using their own data, or they won't. It seems right now it isn't a big priority, and it is a tough problem (since Google has so much more data, and complex indexing and searching algorithms are Google's forte, so Waze is way behind technologically, with not enough resources to catch up in this particular area)
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby Machete808 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:04 am

SuperDave1426 wrote:I do that all the time. Most of the time, though, a reviewer just denies it out of hand with a "available information is more accurate" and then I have to argue and may or not convince them.....

I have a lot to learn about this. How do you argue? I don't see any communication link.

One more aside: I noticed that most of my cases show some kind of verdict, one way or another, with thumbs up, thumbs down icons and/or the word ACCEPTED or DENIED in red.

But the airport reports? No votes of any kind. So it makes sense that it's by design/policy.

I also wish that Waze could figure out a way to have the Google listings that pop up with autocomplete relay to Waze data, once confirmed by an editor.
Aloha,
Vicki
Hawaii State Manager
Area manager, Los Angeles
Country manager, Thailand
Image Image
Need support?
support.google.com/waze > Popular topics > FAQs > Other > Open a ticket
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!
Machete808
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby SuperDave1426 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:05 am

When you bring up the details of something that's been denied, there's a link called "I object" that you can click on, which lets you make another comment.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby brandonrossl » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:49 pm

brandonrossl

Postby brandonrossl » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:47 pm

brandonrossl

Postby CBenson » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:15 pm

I can no longer reproduce this. Its possible that results are different if you are closer to the airport when you search. We need some steps that reproduce the wrong route to give to waze to illustrate the issue.

I understand that the Google result is still showing. But when I route to the Google result, I am routed to the closest point on Bland Blvd to the Google pin, which at least routes by where the waze result puts you.

Maybe we could get rid of the Google result by using as slash or space instead of the dash in the airport name. But that's just a wild guess on my part.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby brandonrossl » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:46 pm

Hop on the app, start typing Richmond airport, once you type A I you'll see richmond airport, click on it and bam, auto-suggest fail.

Also search for "richmond airport" and I get the first result is the center pin and the 2nd result is the google pin and there is NOTHING telling me (or any user) which one is directly from Waze.
brandonrossl

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor