Anyone else having problems editing today?

Moderators: Unholy, dmcconachie

Re: Anyone else having problems editing today?

Postby Twister-UK » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:51 am

Timbones wrote:As long as the road data (the bits you can select) is correct, we should be ok.

That's the problem, at the moment all the data seems to be in a state of bemuddlement.

I second Dave's suggestion that we simply avoid editing anything until things settle down, because it's a) a waste of time spending maybe 5 minutes reloading WME just to be able to perform a handful of edits that'd normally take a few seconds, and b) can we be REALLY certain that the backend servers are able to handle fresh data being submitted when they're clearly incapable of serving up the existing data that we know ought to be present.

With all the WME issues in the past day and a bit, today was the first time in a loooong time I've been out on a drive and not had any, not even a single one, editing bonus candies to collect. Meh :(
L4 AM for NW London and Shetland Islands - HTC One M8/Android 5.0.1
WME/Livemap enhancement scripts @ GreasyFork and Chrome Web Store
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Twister-UK » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:24 pm

leocylau wrote:what's waze doing?

What they do best...
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Twister-UK » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:37 pm

iainhouse wrote:Looks like everything's back to normal - touch wood :lol:
wood1.jpg

At first I thought you must have picked up a bit of veneered MDF rather than real wood, because WME definitely wasn't back to normal a couple of minutes ago (although cynics might say that road tiles partially/completely failing to load or render was business as normal), but after a few minutes of waiting for reloads it's all suddenly sprung into life. And yes, I can also confirm that edits I'd been working on during the edit-save-reload-where's my edit gone? period just before WME got taken offline completely all appear to be present and correct.
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Twister-UK » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:02 pm

I might have been suffering the same, or related, error in the last few days - there's definitely something not quite right with the way the server is handling city name edits. Haven't noticed any sort of pattern to it, other than any segments which suffer the problem once seem to suffer it consistently. Once I get back onto the PC I'll see if I can find any examples to permalink...
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Twister-UK » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:22 am

Just had another save error crop up whilst messing with city names. From the Firebug console, the server was returning an error 600 "Cannot update house number for a segment with empty primary street", along with a segID, and sure enough when I looked at the segment with that ID it did have some house numbers attached to it.

If we can't add numbers to segments that don't have names, it seems logical enough that we shouldn't be able to remove names from segments that already have numbers, but it'd be damn useful if WME would be just a *little* bit less vague about what's causing the error. ESPECIALLY given that the server is helpfully returning a nice human-readable error message that explains exactly what the problem is, plus all the data WME requires to highlight the offending segment(s)...

What was particularly odd about this error is that I first spotted it whilst doing a multi-edit save where I WASN'T trying to clear the name from a numbered segment - this is more in line with the type of errors I've been having recently.

I'd done a "select entire street" on an existing named street in order to change the city name, without noticing that the previous editor had also named a roundabout connecting the two halves of the street together. So after setting the new city name on all these segments including the roundabout ones, I then selected just the roundabout and cleared the street and city names, without first saving the previous edits... When I then came to click save I got the above error, even though at this point I wasn't asking (as far as I could see) the server to clear the street name from the numbered segment - only from the roundabout segments which shared the same street name. However, until I undid the edits to the point just before clearing the roundabout segments, the error kept on occurring. As soon as the save went through OK, I then selected the roundabout again and this time was able to clear the names and save without any error.

So it seems like, in a multi-edit submission, the "oi mate, don't even think about wiping the name from a numbered segment" error trapping routine may get confused if you try clearing the name from a non-numbered segment that shares the same name as a numbered segment.
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Twister-UK » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:20 pm

I haven't yet, since I was hoping either to be able to reproduce it at least once to verify that I hadn't simply done something weird without noticing earlier (since I wasn't specifically looking for the error, there's a chance I'm forgetting something that would explain the server behaviour), or to prompt someone elses memory into remembering that their save errors were happening in the same way...
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Twister-UK » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:48 pm

Aaaaaaaaaand that's the century reached...
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Twister-UK » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:50 am

iainhouse wrote:Road layer was appallingly bad last night but I've found it mostly OK today.

I noticed that too, but since my network connection was still in the process of recovering after a major outage in the west London area, I just assuming it was related to that - although the routing to Waze was particularly bad, some other sites were also rather flakey.

And yes, the editable area highlight bug is present for me too... sometimes I wonder what the purpose of WME beta is, given how fond Waze are of rolling out apparently untested code for public humiliation :roll:

Edited to add: so, who's going to make it 1000...
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Twister-UK » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:15 am

Twister_UK wrote:so, who's going to make it 1000...

...I guess that'll be me then. Editable area highlighting now seems to be working, although I thought the redraw used to be a bit smoother than it is now.
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Twister-UK » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:54 am

As I did, you probably just misread "999 replies" as being "999 posts", forgetting that the first post in the thread isn't a reply...
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to United Kingdom