Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by Kraz31
You can really see that this has been an issue for some time based on the time stamp of the earliest post.
roadtechie wrote:Instead of restricting who can close a UR I believe anyone should be able to re-open a UR before the 10 day expiration window ends. The only bad thing I could possibly imagine would be if a R1 or possibly R2 decided to re-open a bunch of URs then re-close them trying to get the #'s on their stats. So, maybe make it where any R3 and up can re-open a UR if they believe it was closed improperly.
As a rank 2 editor, I pretty much agree with that comment. I think the ability the reopen URs would be beneficial. But, I'm not sure how you'd make it work with the points system. Would the first person to close get points (prevent people from re-opening and re-closing URs for points) or would the last person to close get points (prevent people from closing and then re-opening for points).

The only other thing I would suggest (and its been mentioned in this thread) is the ability to lock URs up to your level. I don't think it would do me much help, but I think it would help R3+. That could help prevent (1) URs getting closed prematurely and (2) a tug-of-war between someone wanting to close a UR and another person wanting that UR to remain open.
Kraz31
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

I don't get lost, I accidentally go on adventures.

Post by Kraz31
tlcarpenter69 wrote:And even better, the move was rejected by an editor in India because...you guessed it: "has wrong information".
Story of every GMM edit I've ever made. I've never gotten a reply when I've tried to dispute the rejection either.
Kraz31
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

I don't get lost, I accidentally go on adventures.

Post by Machete808
Maybe no credit could be assigned for closing a report, until you're 2+ ?
Machete808
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/on9 ... i.png?dl=0https://www.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s ... x.png?dl=0
U.S. Local Champ
Hawaii State Manager
California State Manager
Country manager, U.S.
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!

orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
Fredo-p wrote:Then would it be possible to set up UR closures by L1 editors the same way Google Map Maker has theirs?
If a map edit on Map Maker is of importance, then the edit isn't fully approved. A message is given that reads "This edit will need to be verified by other editors".

In the case of Waze, when an L1 editor closes a UR, it isn't really closed. It's given a special icon or highlight that indicates a higher ranking editor must approve the closeout of the UR for it to be fully accepted.

Maybe, instead of having the option to save a UR as solved or not identified, an L1's option would be to select solved or not identified and the save button would read verify/approve. This would alert higher level editors that an L1 is requesting approval for their UR/MP edit.
I wish it was that simple. I like the idea but it's not practical. We have many URs and not enough editors to fix them. I've seen URs that are as old as 30+ days. Implementing that idea might make UR solving process even slower unfortunately.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
Taco909 wrote:
Helgramite wrote:My Master of the Obvious moment for Friday ... It would be easier to just NOT display URs to Level 1s. You cant close what you cannot see. Have the L2 upgrade require an AM check of your edits.
They need the exposure and ability to work them, limited as their abilities may be.
They also need the exposure to how higher level editors are handling them WRT canned messages, back and forth, ultimate resolution, etc...
In addition to that, we have formal mentoring program where we help editors editing, solving URs and other map and community topic. Not to mention the accelerated promotions.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by ottonomy
At the very least, I'd like to see a restriction on L1s closing URs with comments on them by other editors, and perhaps a requirement that, on URs without conversations, first a comment must be left by the L1 editor, and then a delay of x days must elapse before the UR can be closed by that L1 editor.
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Country Manager & Global Champ - United States
Regional Coordinator - Southwest USA
Area Manager - Southern California

Post by Poncewattle
Taco909 wrote: One of the most creative excuses for leaving red roads I've seen was from an L1 who put 2 and 2 together on the red roads and came up with "5"... The road is a different color on the map + The error in the top corner says "Unconfirmed" = "That is a flag for a higher level editor to review and approve the edit" :lol:
Don't laugh. That was my impression of what it was on my first day editing. The second day I went over the wiki again and saw the relevant page and went back and fixed my red PLR (where I work). But hey, I at least did THAT right after reading not to draw ever parking lot road in!

(Unfortunately, it took me a few more days to learn I had to submit an unlock request to get that PLR tied into a rank 3 road.... Sigh....)
Poncewattle  
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
That's more complicated than necessary. Once they are making code changes, they can do what they want. Making an unintuitive, hard to use UI is not really the solution.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
And thus was Waze converted wholesale to Google Map Maker.

GMM goes to far toward the closed system of editing and approvals. Waze goes to far toward openness. There is no way to make everything perfect. I believe Waze is still concentrating on features visible to the client, so we're probably not going to see too much change in this arena.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues