Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Dealing with Alley ways

Post by SamuelBourget
Hello,
I've only just started looking at the Waze map for my town and noticed that every single alley way has been mapped, but with turns in and out of them restricted, and they're tagged as streets. What is the best practice for dealing with these?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 933&zoom=4

-Sam
SamuelBourget

POSTER_ID:16964473

Send a message

Post by doctorkb
Some of the basemaps included alleys.

They should NOT have a name (i.e. check the "no name" box), and be labelled as parking lot roads. If they are named, then their names start to clutter the map very quickly.

If we're talking about a smaller centre (like Yellowknife), I'd suggest deleting them. On the other hand, if we're talking about a larger city (like Vancouver), then they should be kept, just marked as I mentioned.
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
SamuelBourget wrote:While the alleys do lead to homes, Waze won't route people to take the alleys to a house number on the adjoining street.
That's not necessarily true.

If the destination pin is closer to the alley than the main street, the user will likely be routed down the alley for the final segment.
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by SamuelBourget
Hmm, either way is a fair amount of work. While the alleys do lead to homes, Waze won't route people to take the alleys to a house number on the adjoining street.
Is it likely to cause issues if I delete the alleys and people are using them to access the houses while driving with Waze?
I just want to make sure I'm not going to be making more work for myself down the line.
SamuelBourget
Send a message

Post by SamuelBourget
Thank you both for the help. Seeing as they are already all there I'll just keep them and update the road types and turns.
SamuelBourget
Send a message

Post by SkiDooGuy
Canada doesn't hace specific guidance for alley's in it's Wiki. But a lot of editing practices are shared with the US. Here is the guidance for alleys in the US.

However it's truly up to the management team here in CA. I personally don't map alleys unless they are useful. The ones in your PL give access to houses. So they should be there.

I'd mark them as PLR's and either say no name or label them ALLEY. That way there is some TTS command rather than just "Turn Left on...."

If anyone disagrees go ahead and chime in.

Edit: Oh, and enable the turns. :)
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 1
Send a message
Assistant Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: Canada, USA
Country Manager: Canada, USA, Palau
Rank 6 editor

https://i.ibb.co/ZNbYyt5/RIPIain.png

Post by SkiDooGuy
Really they aren't needed.

I personally keep alleys around because I use them. But I know some editors don't like to map them.

You live there. Your call.
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 1
Send a message
Assistant Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: Canada, USA
Country Manager: Canada, USA, Palau
Rank 6 editor

https://i.ibb.co/ZNbYyt5/RIPIain.png