Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

Major Highway Splits, without ramp?

Post by AndyPot2
[Split from L5 - PRN downgrade! - A5111/A6005 in Unlock Requests forum]
iainhouse wrote:I think I'd like to disagree with you here, but simply from an aesthetic viewpoint.
Got to agree with Iain on this, it will look naff in the client and surely the extra few hundred yards of PRN will not make any difference.

Or what about changing the ramps to Major Highways, do they need to be ramp type, is this not just a freeway split as detailed in the Wiki?

Same would go for the other end of the road where it joins the A50. I have always thought this looks odd in the client because at some zoom levels it looks like the A6 stops a long way short of the A50.

Edit See how this works in Belgium it looks like they only use ramps when changing between road types, not that I'm suggesting we follow the Europeans :lol:
photo.PNG
(169.71 KiB) Downloaded 1075 times
AndyPot2
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:16856836

Send a message
Last edited by Timbones on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split thread

Post by gADgYt
Surely, when the slip road is not part of the main carriageway it should be a slip road and you would be instructed to exit left, and when, like in the attached (which I would edit), there is a feeder lane, the carriageway should be split so that you would be instructed to keep left.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... =122667734
gADgYt
Send a message

Post by PealRinger
Timbones wrote:
AndyPot2 wrote:Or what about changing the ramps to Major Highways, do they need to be ramp type, is this not just a freeway split as detailed in the Wiki?
That sounds quite sensible, actually.
If this segment is changed so it's a freeway split would that not also change the instruction to "stay to the left" rather than "exit left".

Perhaps keeping a tiny ramp segment and then changing the rest to MajorH could work?
PealRinger
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator
Send a message

Post by TheMKLightning
AndyPot2 wrote: Or what about changing the ramps to Major Highways, do they need to be ramp type, is this not just a freeway split as detailed in the Wiki?

Same would go for the other end of the road where it joins the A50. I have always thought this looks odd in the client because at some zoom levels it looks like the A6 stops a long way short of the A50.
I agree, every time I see the A494/A55 junction I think it looks odd.

I think it would be better as Major Highway rather than ramp.
TheMKLightning
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/7/76/W ... 00k_4c.png
AM for West Wales Rheolwr Ardal Cymru Gorllewin

Post by TheMKLightning
Timbones wrote:(Without looking at the map) I'd rather we didn't have a 'tiny ramp' just to tweak the instructions. If the 'exit' is relatively fast and free flowing, then I think it's okay for Waze to say 'keep left'.
If we are to change this kind of junction from using ramps to keeping the same type of road, we would need to decide on whether a keep left instruction is ok. The A55/A494 junction I referenced earlier is odd. If you approach on the A55 from Chester, at the junction the main carriageway becomes the A494 whilst the 'slip road' is the continuation of the A55. If I were approaching the junction I would prefer it to say 'keep left A55' and 'keep right A494' especially if the alternative is 'exit left A55' and silence or 'exit left A55' and 'in 400 yards take A494 (E)'.

The exits from these two segments is even more important because you have traffic merging from A494 and A55 before quickly diverging again with traffic crossing over each other to get to the right lane. If waze had warned you before entering that bit of road that you need to 'keep left' or 'keep right' it would make the transition easier.

That's my perception anyway. :roll:
TheMKLightning
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/7/76/W ... 00k_4c.png
AM for West Wales Rheolwr Ardal Cymru Gorllewin

Post by Timbones
AndyPot2 wrote:Or what about changing the ramps to Major Highways, do they need to be ramp type, is this not just a freeway split as detailed in the Wiki?
That sounds quite sensible, actually.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by Timbones
(Without looking at the map) I'd rather we didn't have a 'tiny ramp' just to tweak the instructions. If the 'exit' is relatively fast and free flowing, then I think it's okay for Waze to say 'keep left'.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
Split from unlock thread...

I like the idea of not using ramps when going from one major highway to another, except when there's a roundabout or multiple grade-separated ramps.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message